'84 E350 460 Fuel problem - Page 2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1968-2013 Full Size Vans Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

'84 E350 460 Fuel problem

Old 05-15-2009, 05:36 AM
Mush
Junior User
Mush is starting off with a positive reputation.
It is behind the passenger kick plate. open the door,look under the dash at the top of the kick plate,and you should find it. there is a button on top of it with a plug end on it. depress the button and tape it in the down position ,or put a jumper wire in the plug end. Mush

Old 05-15-2009, 08:37 AM
subford
Post Fiend
subford has much to be proud ofsubford has much to be proud ofsubford has much to be proud ofsubford has much to be proud ofsubford has much to be proud ofsubford has much to be proud ofsubford has much to be proud ofsubford has much to be proud ofsubford has much to be proud ofsubford has much to be proud of
It may also be located on the kick board above the passengers feet.

Old 05-20-2009, 02:20 AM
trucker101
Freshman User
trucker101 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Question did you get the problem fixed?

I'm having the "SAME" problems with my 85 E350 Motorhome. Did you get it fixed? If so what was the problem?
My posts are
>>Here<< on my problems with the fuel.

Old 05-20-2009, 07:40 AM
subford
Post Fiend
subford has much to be proud ofsubford has much to be proud ofsubford has much to be proud ofsubford has much to be proud ofsubford has much to be proud ofsubford has much to be proud ofsubford has much to be proud ofsubford has much to be proud ofsubford has much to be proud ofsubford has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by trucker101 View Post
I'm having the "SAME" problems with my 85 E350 Motorhome. Did you get it fixed? If so what was the problem?
My posts are
>>Here<< on my problems with the fuel.
There is so much bad information in that link I would not know where to start.
I do not think any of the posters over there know what they are talking about as far as your MH.

That is not a fuel pressure regulator, it is a hot gas bypass.
The Oil pressure switch turns off the fuel pumps not the ignition.
And it goes on and on.

Have you read through this link?

Old 05-20-2009, 08:49 AM
dledm
Junior User
dledm is starting off with a positive reputation.
I know both tank pumps are running and delivering good fuel to start while cranking. The pumps do not run when not cranking. I have tried shorting the oil pressure switch terminals - no luck, but maybe it wasn't making contact. The oil pressure switch fuse is good - I have 12v there with the key on. I wonder if the relay operated by the oil pressure switch is bad (I see this on the wiring diagram). Where is this relay located? I wouldn't think the inertia switch would be bad - nothing has happened to open this.

Old 05-20-2009, 09:18 AM
subford
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by dledm View Post
I know both tank pumps are running and delivering good fuel to start while cranking. The pumps do not run when not cranking. I have tried shorting the oil pressure switch terminals - no luck, but maybe it wasn't making contact. The oil pressure switch fuse is good - I have 12v there with the key on. I wonder if the relay operated by the oil pressure switch is bad (I see this on the wiring diagram). Where is this relay located? I wouldn't think the inertia switch would be bad - nothing has happened to open this.
I do not think that your fuel pump cut-off relay is working. I had another with the same problem and his relay did not have a ground, bad wiring under the relay.
The location of the relay from my only information is "LH corner of dash panel".

Old 05-20-2009, 11:41 AM
trucker101
Freshman User
Originally Posted by subford View Post
There is so much bad information in that link I would not know where to start.
I do not think any of the posters over there know what they are talking about as far as your MH.

That is not a fuel pressure regulator, it is a hot gas bypass.
The Oil pressure switch turns off the fuel pumps not the ignition.
And it goes on and on.

Have you read through this link?
Yes, I just found it last night after doing a google search on the whole forum under fuel & fuel pumps thats how I found your email & posts.

Old 05-22-2009, 07:03 AM
subford
Post Fiend
The Fuel cut-off relay is a green relay on the drivers fender.

Old 05-25-2009, 09:32 PM
trucker101
Freshman User
Smile

The fuel cut-off relay in under the hood,drivers side,mounted on the inner fender well. Here is a picture for you,just click on it to make it larger.

Old 05-25-2009, 10:06 PM
dledm
Junior User
Thanks - I found it, and now I'm looking for it at a dealer.

Old 06-01-2009, 10:53 PM
dledm
Junior User
Yes - the relay was bad - it's fine now with a new one from Ford!

Old 07-29-2010, 10:42 PM
batmmannn
New User
batmmannn is starting off with a positive reputation.
Fuel Relay for the 85 E350 cargo van?

I don't seem to have this set up in the pics. can anyone help me find the fuel relay and cut off switch in my 85? Thanks
85 cargo van econoline 350 carbed 351 V8

Thanks

Old 07-30-2010, 07:28 AM
subford
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by batmmannn View Post
I don't seem to have this set up in the pics. can anyone help me find the fuel relay and cut off switch in my 85? Thanks
85 cargo van econoline 350 carbed 351 V8

Thanks
The one in the pics is for a 460 engine with hot fuel bypass and electric fuel pumps and the motor driven six port selector valve. You have none of those.

You do not have a fuel relay or a cut off switch on your 85.

Old 12-22-2010, 10:49 PM
BeastF-250
Junior User
BeastF-250 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by subford View Post
No they do not run when you just turn on the key.

That is normal

Unless you know the pumps are running how do you know how much pressure you have?
You would have to put power (jumper power to) on the wire (PK/BK) coming from the starter relay (solenoid) to test the pressure.

No, they will operate when the engine is cranking or if the key is on AND you have oil pressure.

Yes they should be available from a parts house like NAPA.
But it is unlikely that both fuel pumps are bad.

There is a bypass circuit that bypass the oil switch while cranking that is operated by the starter solenoid.

I think these fuel pumps are the same as the fuel pumps used in the 1986-1989 in-tank pumps on the FI trucks and vans. I took a fuel tank from a 1997 FI van and put the tank, pump and all in my 1992 E350 with a 4V Carb. and have been running it that way for 10 years with no problems.
I think they put out between 6-8 PSI as that is what the 4V Carb wants.

Here is a electrical diagram of the fuel system:

/
thank you so very much... ive been fighting my truck trying to get it running no gas, and i found this and it has solved alot of questions. now all i got to do is get back to my truck and get it running... thank you. Beast F-250

Old 12-23-2010, 12:04 PM
batmmannn
New User
batmmannn is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks

I found the problem a ping pong sized ball was in the gas neck where you put the gas in. It seems to be there because of backwash. It was varnish stuck closing off the fuel tank. The tank appeared to be filled to the top at the gas cap but it was not making it into the tank. Truck started beautifully after that. What a pain in the ***.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: '84 E350 460 Fuel problem

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.