Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

I'm getting very high EGT's

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 11:16 PM
harleyjohn45
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by David85
My gauge is VDO that came with the turbo (used). No 12 volts either, just lead wires and a 12V light for night driving. Response time is slow but it seems to work fine. 300 for idling also seems high to me.

Heres what I am getting usually to compare, if other guys could take the time to chime in with their own data, it could help:

mild city driving (speeds up to 35 MPH): 200-300F

cruising 55 MPH: 350

60 MPH: 400

65 MPH: 450-500

70 MPH: 600-650

80 MPH: 800

90....uh never mind.

My truck is lighter and all these numbers assume running empty. If I am going all out up a hill, I can sometimes reach 1000F, but I've never taken it through a mountain pass or any hill longer than a 1 or 2 miles.

harleyjohn45, I'm not sure if you mentioned this before, but what size of tailpipe are you running in that truck?
Exhaust is 3" from the turbo to the tail pipe. It is currently straight piped, but when I get home I plan to get a strait thru muffler to quiet it down some. The guage is a sport comp 0-1600 degree #3344 from autometer. It came with a type k thermocouple. The wire was 6 ft long and had connectors on it. We did not shorten the wire.

an over pass will produce 1200 degrees for me. It really goes up that fast. I back off on overpasses. lol

Tomorrow, I'm pulling building permits, so it may be a couple of days before i can get back to it. We just got here last night.

It was an eventful trip, blew a tire west of jacksonville, fl. I about lost it, then about 3 hours later the spedo makes a squealing sound and quit. Every now and then i would hear a rattling sound, I suspected something in the spedo, but i was losing the emergency brake. so on sunday, i found I had no emergency brake. Everything else i can live with, but in the mountains, an emergency brake is mandatory. i'll repair that before i use the truck again.

Old 04-27-2009, 11:25 PM
harleyjohn45
Senior User
david, on level ground with no headwind i can probably do 70 mph with about 800 egt. I admit I was loaded, but I should be able to stay into the throttle more than 25%. Another poster is having the same problem, but he was heavier loaded and running more boost. ATS says you should only advance the fuel settings 1/2 flat and I'm at almost 2. By increasing the fuel I did get a bit more boost. ATS also says max boost is 7.5 lbs on these engines. I have seen 7 lbs of boost on my guage. This was also my first use of the truck loaded.

Old 04-27-2009, 11:33 PM
starmilt
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have had a guage that lost ground and read high, does your headlights or turn signal make your guage move.

Do you have a cold air intake hooked up.

Old 04-27-2009, 11:44 PM
David85
Lead Driver
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Backing the fuel off might help.The thing is if you are getting close to 7 psi at 25% throttle, the timing might not be ideal anymore. Dynamic timing depends on throttle position as well as RPM.

I have an old pump that has the screw litterally bottomed out (not recommended) and can make 12 PSI if I am standing on it. If I had a wastegate to blow off anything over 7 psi, I have no doubt that the EGTs would be much higher. Some guys have been able to push 15 psi with engines like this. So perhaps 2 flats would in theory demand more turbo boost, hence backing off the fuel might be a solution. I'm just throwing ideas out there.

Sounds like you have bigger fish to fry at the moment though.

Old 04-28-2009, 12:29 AM
starmilt
Post Fiend
Something is odd 2 flats and no smoke, I tend to agree with ckecking the timing.

Old 04-28-2009, 12:57 AM
George D.
Posting Guru
I'm basicly having the same problem with mine except it isn't a mystery as I have smoke I have to run real light on the throtle has plenty of power but causes high EGTs because i don't have the right advance for the fule at first i could hit 1200 on a overpass but i turned the bosst up a couple psi and that fixed that and i can run down the highway 1000* max doing 70. I need to quit being lazy and tune my pump for the litle 6.9. Harley john i would turn the boost up to 9 or 10 psi should fix you right up. I'm betting for what ever reason you just couldn't see the smoke but I wasn't there obviously.

My truck has alway idled about 300* with leakn injectors, all new injectors, timing too hot+too much fule, Timing kinda hot+too much fule.

Old 04-28-2009, 01:04 AM
starmilt
Post Fiend
Just curious how was it doing in florida at sea level. Also where did you go in nm that took you through lamesa.

Old 04-28-2009, 03:56 PM
deano-was-his-name-o
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey david what mods have you done where is the fuel pump screw 1 flat? or more. How much boost are you running because your numbers seem super low to what I am seeing too. At idle I am about 400. Empty i have to watch my egts on a hill. I am up one flat and if I have the pedal to the floor I will see 10 psi on the turbo. My exhaust is 2 1/2" downpipe (not the stock one) to 3 1/2" straight pipe. Do you think that my gauge is bad? I bought it new. It is glowshift. All wires are conected. My sensor wire was not cut. I have the sensor in the drivers side manifold right above the flange that goes to the crossover pipe.

Old 04-28-2009, 04:12 PM
David85
Lead Driver
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My fuel screw is bottomed out, so I'm not sure where that is relative to the factory position but I suspect I have another year of use out of it at the most.

The turbocharger is an 088 which is a none wastegated turbo. In theory, that would mean slightly lower EGTs because the turbine side flows wide open all the time. The trade off is less boost below 2000 RPM.
It have a 60-1 compressor side, but it didn't make much difference when I installed it.
Highest I usually see is 12PSI, but thats running empty.

All the exhaust is 3" with constant diameter elbows and adaptors to a 4" magnaflow muffler.

My sensor is at the inlet to the turbine side of the turbocharger, which is were ATS intended it to be. Closer to the manifold will mean more responsive and more accurate readings, but I doubt that would make a difference of 50%.

Have a ram air intake. Maybe that makes a difference, but again, it shouldn't be that much.

My truck also weight a mere 6000 lbs with me standing next to it and tanks not full.

Old 04-28-2009, 04:19 PM
starmilt
Post Fiend
400% idling I suspect your guage is off.

Old 04-28-2009, 04:32 PM
deano-was-his-name-o
Senior User
yes 400 on idle in my driveway after driving. Thank you!! I will try another gauge. Is there any that you reccomend? And another gauge related question- I have a tripple pod on the side of my windshield. All I could find in a gray color was a universal one and I don't like it. Do you know where I can find a gray one that is molded in?

Old 04-28-2009, 05:16 PM
starmilt
Post Fiend
Ok I'm not saying they are the best but ispro is what comes in all big trucks if they have a pyro so that is what I will trust my engine too.

Old 04-28-2009, 05:32 PM
Happyreefer
Senior User
I have had good luck with my ISSPRO guages.. a little more money than some, but are easy to read during the day and at night. And I believe they are a reliable read aswell....

try eguages.com

Old 04-28-2009, 07:34 PM
George D.
Posting Guru
My truck has always Idled at 300 with the thermocouple in the right manifold just behind the last exaust port and I can see it droping 100 degrees going into the up pipe and bexcause davids turpine is les restrictive than the gated turbos. Deano hows your timing set? if it isn't set right you may ave a slight load on the engine at idle I once left my ruck in drive while letting the turbo cool and started thinking i had injector issues because it wouldn't drop below 400. I just turned my timing down and my truck is now fine and dandy didn't have to mess with the fule screw. Aslo I don't think the leaf spring adjustment/fule screw efects the fule being injected at idle. If you seriously suspect a pyro proble I would check and clean all the conections first befor replacing it.

Old 04-28-2009, 08:00 PM
harleyjohn45
Senior User
Originally Posted by starmilt
I have had a guage that lost ground and read high, does your headlights or turn signal make your guage move.

Do you have a cold air intake hooked up.
I do have cold air intake, and the turn signals seem to have no affect on the pyro.

Quick Reply: I'm getting very high EGT's