Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Tire pressure

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 11:12 PM
caseydudem
More Turbo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Tire pressure

I have noticed that my truck seems a little squrmmie on the freeway. I am running my tires at 65 psi all the way around. I know to increase them if I have a load on, but for everyday driving should I keep it at 65 or go all the way to 80psi?

Old 04-23-2009, 11:30 PM
clintbonnie
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Try 70 lbs in the front and 55 in rear.. If that does not help, you may have front end wear..

Old 04-24-2009, 12:46 AM
Riffraff Diesel
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts
Really depends on what tires you are running. I only run 45 front and 40 in the rear...

Old 04-24-2009, 03:12 AM
cookie88
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Riffraff Performance
Really depends on what tires you are running. I only run 45 front and 40 in the rear...
And the size of the tire. I run the max inflation pressure spec'd on the sidewall of whatever tire I use.

Old 04-24-2009, 06:26 AM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cookie88
And the size of the tire. I run the max inflation pressure spec'd on the sidewall of whatever tire I use.
Me too, almost. I run 80 psi in the rear tires and 70 psi in the front tires. I also get good tire wear this way. The tire manufacture tested their tires, not the ford sticker on the truck.

Old 04-24-2009, 11:09 AM
Texas Outlaw
Not a liberal...
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by miller_feed
Me too, almost. I run 80 psi in the rear tires and 70 psi in the front tires. I also get good tire wear this way. The tire manufacture tested their tires, not the ford sticker on the truck.
Me three. I run what they say to run, 80psi.

Old 04-24-2009, 11:31 AM
FTE/PARTS-GUY
Former Vendor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Clay,

I really like your sig, feeling a lot of love for ya.

Old 04-24-2009, 11:55 AM
Texas Outlaw
Not a liberal...
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by FTE/PARTS-GUY
Clay,

I really like your sig, feeling a lot of love for ya.
Surprised you guys don't carry better air for tires at a great price.

Old 04-24-2009, 11:58 AM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Texas Outlaw
The do have a great deal on blinker fluid.

Old 04-24-2009, 12:10 PM
FTE/PARTS-GUY
Former Vendor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Texas Outlaw

I've done so much for so long with so little I think if I had to sell air I could.

you now how me $1 for my air time. cash or credit? hahahahahahha

Old 04-24-2009, 02:09 PM
strokersace
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Me too! You get the best wear that way.

Originally Posted by miller_feed
The tire manufacture tested their tires, not the ford sticker on the truck.
That's exactly right!! We used to own a tire business in the small town where my parents still live and you used to see chewed up tires time and time again. Other tire places or repair shops will air down a 10ply 80psi tire to 35psi because the sticker on the side of the door says that. Well, 35 is fine for the factory p-metric tire on that suv, but not for the 10ply tires installed now!!

Old 04-24-2009, 03:37 PM
brian42
Lead Driver
Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts
I don't normally test the tires rated load, so I run 62psig all around unless I'm loaded down or towing, then I up it to 70psig in the front and max out with 80psig in the rear (E rated tires).

Old 04-25-2009, 06:00 PM
ernesteugene
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ideally tires shouldn't be inflated to more than 10 psi above the minimum inflation pressure called out in the tire's load range table for the weight that the tire is actually carrying because excessive inflation pressure reduces the tire's contact patch area with the road and this can result in poor handling and reduced braking ability. However as a fulltime RVer 80% of my miles are towing and I'd wear out many air compressors if I tried to follow this advice.

It turns out that it's also recommended to inflate tires up to 10 psi above the maximum inflation pressure called out on the tire's sidewall for high speed highway driving with heavy loads! The following quote is from this link... http://hmcclub.homestead.com/Goodyea...oad_Charts.pdf ...which I recommend as a "must read" for anyone who tows.

"Light Truck Tires... The inflations shown in the load tables are minimum cold pressures for the various loads listed. Higher pressures should be used as follows: ...A) When required by the speed/load Table 1 on Page L-2 ...B) When higher pressures are desirable to obtain improved operating performance. ...The combined increases of A and B should not exceed 10 PSI above the inflation specified for the maximum load of the tire."

In my words the above quote... "The combined increases of A and B should not exceed 10 PSI above the inflation specified for the maximum load of the tire." ...means don't be confused by the fact that LRE tires have "maximum inflation pressure=80 PSI" stamped on the side of the casing because it's perfectly acceptable and in fact recommended to air these LT tires to as high as 90 PSI cold so that you can meet the recommendation for a 10 PSI higher than the maximum load when using these tires at higher speeds!

Based on the data in "Table 1 on Page L-2", other information in this link, and a conversation I had with a TX DPS Inspector... 1) Use only tires that exactly match the size and load range that are specified by Ford on the truck's door jam placard ...2) Air these tires to at least the minimum PSI listed in the load Table on Page L7 for the weight the tire will be carrying, and ...3) For speeds above 65 MPH use up to a 10 psi higher pressure than the minimum PSI listed in the LRE table for the weight the tire will be carrying if the wheel is rated for this higher pressure.

My SRW F350 came with LT265/75*16 LRE tires and for the load I was carrying I used an inflation pressure of 85 PSI in the rear which according to the load Table on Page 7 was about 10 PSI higher than the minimum 75 PSI for my 6,500 lb RAW. On my front tires I needed a minimum of 55 PSI but I ran those at 70 PSI because I found that gave better handling and steering.

On my 5er I had LT235/85*16 LRE tires which I inflated to only 80 PSI because my trailer wheels were only rated for a 80 PSI maximum pressure and this only gave me a 5 PSI higher pressure than the minimum 75 PSI for my 5,800 lb trailer axel weight.