Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Zoodad??

Old 04-23-2009, 09:29 AM
Powerstroke-7.3
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Zoodad??

I have been wondering what exactly is this zoodad mod and how does this improve performace?

Old 04-23-2009, 09:34 AM
VoodooRacer
Senior User
behind your grill there is a plastic peice around the radiator. This blocks the vent that runs to your air filter. Hence you pick up the hot air off the radiator. What the Zoodad is, is a hole cut through this plastic piece to allow cool air to flow directly to you air filter.

Helps performance by having cooler air to the filter and lower intake temps.

Old 04-23-2009, 09:37 AM
Powerstroke-7.3
Senior User
Zoodad??

I already have k&n cold air intake. Would this be worth doing?

Old 04-23-2009, 09:44 AM
VoodooRacer
Senior User
Yes i believe it would because it allows the cool air into the filter not just a cold pipe. So it would help even more because u would get cold air to the filter as well as further down the system.

Also i have heard bad things about the K&N on our trucks so i would prob change that. You can prob do a search i know it has been discussed many times.

Plus the zoodad only takes a few minutes to do. Take of the grill which is only a few screws. Then i just took i believe a 3/4 hole saw and drilled my two or three wholes to connect them and then took a hack saw blade to smoothen out the connection to make a long oval shape. Then some sane paper to smoothen the edges and VOILA it was done.

Old 04-23-2009, 09:51 AM
Powerstroke-7.3
Senior User
I have also heard bad things about the K&N. I have been thinking about changing to the 6637 but I have the whole K&N kit on the truck and i do not have the factory box. Do you think it would still work?

Old 04-23-2009, 10:21 AM
Ponyboychris
Hit it!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The K & N drop in filters that use the stock housing is what is bad for our trucks because they don't seal well in the housing. Not sure about the cold air intakes by them.

Old 04-23-2009, 10:24 AM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Powerstroke-7.3
I have also heard bad things about the K&N. I have been thinking about changing to the 6637 but I have the whole K&N kit on the truck and i do not have the factory box. Do you think it would still work?
Its a tight fit but will work. The zoodad will probably not help much since the K&N setup puts a box around the filter, unless you cut a hole in the box and make a duct to get the air from the grille to the filter box.

Old 04-23-2009, 10:24 AM
89BlackBeauty
Senior User
Another possible benefit of the Zoodad is the possibility of ram-air. The air is forced into the filter at higher vehicle speeds. See this link https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...ml#post6000119. There is lots of info on Zoodad and filtration.

Old 04-23-2009, 11:07 AM
brian42
Lead Driver
Received 118 Likes on 78 Posts
The angle that the horn is behind the grill, coupled with the fact that tube comes in behind the filter (with a 90 degree bend) probably would not net you much of a ram air effect. The colder air, however, is always a good thing.

I had and aFe drop-in filter and the seal was better, but still far from great. The 6637 mod puts a filter on the end of your intake pipe/hose and does away with the filter box anyway. Your only obstacle is the intake pipe diameter. If it is stock you can use a 4" piece of 4" exhaust pipe (or a 3" PVC coupler, which is 4" OD) to connect the filter and intake pipe (buy an extra hose clamp for the filter piece). I'm not sure what the K&N diameter is for the intake (if you have a K&N supplied intake pipe). I had to cut up the intake box base to get the filter to drop low enough to not rub on my hood.

The issue with the K&N (and all oiled filters for that matter) is not that the drop-in filter doesn't seal (I don't know any filters that do, the box design was terrible and won't stay sealed shut no matter what filter you put in there), the issue is that the engine sucks so much more air than a gasser does. You're talking 23# of boost (give or take) in just stock form, now that's a lot of airflow! This huge air demand will produce a large amount of suction on the intake, which in turn will pull oil out of the filter pleats and ingest it into the cylinders (not to mention gum up the intercooler, reducing heat transfer).

I tried the aFe Pro-Guard 7 drop-in filter, but still got air bypassing the filter through the box seal. Not to mention that even though I cleaned it (and aFe says it works best when it's a little dirty), my filter minder still hovered around 50%. Since I didn't have $$$ to shell out for an aFe stage II intake kit, I tried the budget 6637 mod to get rid of my box. I run a (mostly) stock engine so I haven't had any issues and have been really happy with it, and it only cost me $50 (I was under a deadline, so I had to buy my filter at NAPA instead of fleetfilter.com).

Old 04-23-2009, 11:33 AM
riverrat41
Postmaster

Originally Posted by Powerstroke-7.3
I have the same kit.When I heard about the 6637 I just sold the K&N cone filter and installed a 6637 on the end of the tube.The 4'' mouth on the filter will fit right on there.

Old 04-23-2009, 11:49 AM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by superduty4x4
Its a tight fit but will work. The zoodad will probably not help much since the K&N setup puts a box around the filter, unless you cut a hole in the box and make a duct to get the air from the grille to the filter box.
My S-B setup has a big hole at the bottom and on the fender side plus this snorkel leading to my Zoodad, a type of ram air I guess. Open Zoodad here, no mesh or anything. Here's a pic, snorkel on the right leading to my Zoodad.

Old 04-23-2009, 01:41 PM
eatfish
Senior User
Am I looking at the picture wrong or is the filter minder... pre filter? Probably works as good as the one I threw away.

Old 04-23-2009, 02:48 PM
VoodooRacer
Senior User
powerstroke 7.3 i may be getting rid of my 6637 if i like the new filter that i have coming. If i decide to get rid of it ill just give it to you with my 4" exhaust piece i used to to hold the filter on.

Old 04-23-2009, 02:58 PM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by eatfish
Am I looking at the picture wrong or is the filter minder... pre filter? Probably works as good as the one I threw away.
I saw that too. .

Old 04-23-2009, 05:08 PM
King0581
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by brian42
The angle that the horn is behind the grill, coupled with the fact that tube comes in behind the filter (with a 90 degree bend) probably would not net you much of a ram air effect. The colder air, however, is always a good thing.

I had and aFe drop-in filter and the seal was better, but still far from great. The 6637 mod puts a filter on the end of your intake pipe/hose and does away with the filter box anyway. Your only obstacle is the intake pipe diameter. If it is stock you can use a 4" piece of 4" exhaust pipe (or a 3" PVC coupler, which is 4" OD) to connect the filter and intake pipe (buy an extra hose clamp for the filter piece). I'm not sure what the K&N diameter is for the intake (if you have a K&N supplied intake pipe). I had to cut up the intake box base to get the filter to drop low enough to not rub on my hood.

The issue with the K&N (and all oiled filters for that matter) is not that the drop-in filter doesn't seal (I don't know any filters that do, the box design was terrible and won't stay sealed shut no matter what filter you put in there), the issue is that the engine sucks so much more air than a gasser does. You're talking 23# of boost (give or take) in just stock form, now that's a lot of airflow! This huge air demand will produce a large amount of suction on the intake, which in turn will pull oil out of the filter pleats and ingest it into the cylinders (not to mention gum up the intercooler, reducing heat transfer).

I tried the aFe Pro-Guard 7 drop-in filter, but still got air bypassing the filter through the box seal. Not to mention that even though I cleaned it (and aFe says it works best when it's a little dirty), my filter minder still hovered around 50%. Since I didn't have $$$ to shell out for an aFe stage II intake kit, I tried the budget 6637 mod to get rid of my box. I run a (mostly) stock engine so I haven't had any issues and have been really happy with it, and it only cost me $50 (I was under a deadline, so I had to buy my filter at NAPA instead of fleetfilter.com).
I dont think there was a issue with the AIS system filter getting bypassed.
Originally Posted by VoodooRacer
behind your grill there is a plastic peice around the radiator. This blocks the vent that runs to your air filter. Hence you pick up the hot air off the radiator. What the Zoodad is, is a hole cut through this plastic piece to allow cool air to flow directly to you air filter.

Helps performance by having cooler air to the filter and lower intake temps.
Arent all the headerpanels fiberglass instead of plastic?
Originally Posted by miller_feed
I saw that too. .
Me 3!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Zoodad??