Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Need key for locking spare tire mount

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 08:52 AM
Robert6401
Cargo Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need key for locking spare tire mount

My truck has the locking spare tire mount from the factory, but the key didn't come with the truck. I went by a dealership and was told they didn't sell them, they could only break the lock off. It seems like the key would be available somewhere, so I wanted to see if any of you have run into this problem before. Thanks in advance for the help.

Bob

Old 04-20-2009, 09:07 AM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Robert6401
My truck has the locking spare tire mount from the factory, but the key didn't come with the truck. I went by a dealership and was told they didn't sell them, they could only break the lock off. It seems like the key would be available somewhere, so I wanted to see if any of you have run into this problem before. Thanks in advance for the help.

Bob
Try a different dealership. IIRC there are something like 8 different key sets. Problem is that it's not a usual request seen at the dealers, so some guys at the parts counter have no clue how to locate a proper key.

Old 04-20-2009, 09:42 AM
HH60FE
Posting Guru
Dealers have these keys, don't let them tell you different. I think they are about $25 bones, but I was able to score mine for nothing, just talk nice and lay it on like peanut butter.

Old 04-20-2009, 10:03 AM
cjcocn
More Turbo

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you find yourself needing that spare right now, just pull off the guide tube that runs from the bumper to the spare tire winch, then use a flat blade screwdriver to pop off that part of the winch that needs the key.

After you pop that little piece out you can raise or lower your winch with the pieces that are under your hood.

Old 04-20-2009, 10:09 AM
Quick444
Fleet Mechanic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by cjcocn
If you find yourself needing that spare right now, just pull off the guide tube that runs from the bumper to the spare tire winch, then use a flat blade screwdriver to pop off that part of the winch that needs the key.

After you pop that little piece out you can raise or lower your winch with the pieces that are under your hood.
This is exactly what I did.

My Ford dealership sold me the wrong freaking key/lock set (they come in pairs), even after a mechanic unlocked it for me and showed the parts guy the key.

I got home and realized I had the wrong key so I just got under the truck and popped out the old lock and put in the new one. Cost me about 25 bucks.

Old 04-20-2009, 11:40 AM
Robert6401
Cargo Master

Good info. The one time I have had a flat, a buddy with an F250 let me use his spare because I didn't have the key. Doubtful that I will be so lucky the next time. Good to know the lock can be popped off with a screwdriver. Makes me wonder why they even put a lock on there if its so easy to break off.

Old 04-20-2009, 12:41 PM
brian42
Lead Driver
Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts
They put the lock on there so nobody can steal you spare tire.

The dealership is snowing you. If the parts guys are giving you gruff, you can at least have the service guys drop the tire for you, then bust the lock off later. The parts department can get you a new one for $25-30 (just bring in your VIN numbers so they can determine which key you need). Or you can bust the lock off and never need it again. Seriously, how big is the steel spare wheel and crappy spare tire black market? And is it worth to the would-be thief to spend the time to carry the tools and walk around a parking lot trying to drop spares? Plus they'd need a trailer to haul them all away. Doesn't seem very lucrative to me, which is probably why I've never had mine stolen. Ever.

IMO, have a dealership drop your tire for you, then bust the lock when you have the chance and you'll never have to worry about losing the adapter again. If I can live in the second highest auto crime city in the country and not have my spare stolen, chances are you're pretty safe to leave spare unlocked too...

Just my .02