coolant leak - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
S. California Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: wpnaes

coolant leak

Old 04-19-2009, 08:21 PM
bla1879
Posting Guru
bla1879 has a good reputation on FTE.bla1879 has a good reputation on FTE.
coolant leak

hey guys, so i came out from lunch today and there was a massive puddle of coolant under my truck, it was right about under where the passenger seat is, its dripping off of the heat shield over the cat and off the passenger side frame rail about even with the transmission. I also found my carpets wet with coolant, i could squeeze them and coolant would run from them. the coolant was coming from under the middle of the dash. i couldnt see any leaking coolant from the engine bay but when i climed under the truck it was leaking all over the place at a pretty steady pace. thing is that it only leaks when its cool, so when i start the truck it starts leaking and leaks for a few min till its hot. then it wont leak while im driving, but as soon as the truck turns off and starts to cool it begins to leak and leaks pretty heavily. It usually leaks about 2-3 quarts from when i turn it off to whenever i come back out and turn it back on. It does stop leaking eventually after i let it sit when its off, im not sure what makes it stop leaking however. here are some pictures of how much it leaks and from where

this is in the cab

in the cab again its down in the black area, by the vent on the floor on the right

this is the carpet pulled up on the passenger side, you can see the pool of coolant, and that whole area was wet with coolant, its not aparent but if you touched it you had a coat of coolant on your hands

this is that black plastic piece in the cab removed and you san see coolant on stuff in here too

this is about 2 min worth of leaking after shutting the truck down

passenger side wheel well looking backwards toward the cab

under the truck its hard to tell where it is leaking in this but you can see its coming from several areas. if you look at where the cross member meets the close frame rail, it looks like there is an out of focus string hanging down but that is actually a steady stream of coolant leaking

and dont worry i threw some kitty litter down there to soak up anymore leaking fluid, just had to snap some pics first

in the pictures if something looks wet, it is coolant, inside the truck and out/under

there is no coolant in the oil, i checked that too even though im mostly sure its not a head problem

SO this look like a heater core? something worse? my money is on hearter core, i think they did something wrong last time or it was defective. we will see tomorrow, i dont have time to tear it apart and do it myself.

thanks boys

Old 04-19-2009, 08:43 PM
SteveBricks
***** Emeritus
SteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputation
I can't think of anything it could be but the heater core or the hoses that are attached to it.

Old 04-19-2009, 09:03 PM
bla1879
Posting Guru
at least if thats what it is then itll be free to fix since it will still be under warranty from the last repair

Old 04-22-2009, 12:01 PM
bla1879
Posting Guru
it was a defective heater core, got it fixed no cost to me, and they washed the truck and shampooed and dry cleaned my carpets to get the coolant out

Old 04-22-2009, 12:04 PM
SteveBricks
***** Emeritus
SteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputation
Cool. Nice to hear a success story.

Old 04-22-2009, 12:50 PM
orng1
Postmaster
orng1 has a great reputation on FTE.orng1 has a great reputation on FTE.orng1 has a great reputation on FTE.orng1 has a great reputation on FTE.orng1 has a great reputation on FTE.
They cleaned and shampoo the complete without you having to choke someone out? Wow, that would be the first time.

Old 04-22-2009, 12:58 PM
bla1879
Posting Guru
ha well i worked at this shop for 4 years so they take care of me, but actually he would do that for anyone if we had installed a bad heater core, because i remember at least once doing that for someone elses car when i worked there, i remember it because i was the one who had to clean the carpets...not fun

Old 04-22-2009, 01:01 PM
orng1
Postmaster
orng1 has a great reputation on FTE.orng1 has a great reputation on FTE.orng1 has a great reputation on FTE.orng1 has a great reputation on FTE.orng1 has a great reputation on FTE.
I did detail work when I started working at a dealer.