Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch bleeding issue, and mild Miss

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 09:05 AM
Ztitan
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clutch bleeding issue, and mild Miss

91 F150 4x4 300 I6 5 Speed

I recently thought I killed the E40D in my truck -Then thought that I had it fixed. After about 200 Miles it went pop zing clunk. So long story short I did a 5 speed conversion.

I replaced the Slave before I installed the transmission. I did not replace the M/C and I either have a bad one (It's not leaking) or I grew stupid and forgot how to bleed the system. The clutch is spongy and not moving the slave enough to disengage the clutch. Any suggestions or tricks to bleed the system more effectively? Going to replace the M/C just to be sure.

Problem number two. I have been hunting an evasive Miss for a few months now. I thought I had it straight but i guess not. I have no codes tripped And after the truck warms up I have a slight miss. Everything from TPS, Plugs, Wires, Cap, Rotor, Fuel Filter, Both Fuel Pumps, MAP, EGR, Ummm maybe more have been changed during the course of having that Miss.

I have checked the timing at idle and even thought at one time that the timing was not advancing correctly when driving. Some times it runs bad and some times it will ping a little.

I think I just answered my own question. Pick up coil or maybe even a TFI?

Old 04-18-2009, 09:31 AM
dustybumpers
FTE Legend
on bleeding the clutch, just keep pushing the clutch in, it bleeds itself. takes a while, but just keep pushing it in. the miss could be that the 300 has a habit of the spark plugs loosening themselves. could be carbon in the threads, and your not getting a good seal. the pinging , if it dosen't do it all the time could be the gas your useing. try to keep track of where you bought the gas from when it does that. my 86 does not like the off brand cheeper gas, "and will talk to you about it"

Old 04-18-2009, 09:46 AM
Ztitan
Senior User
So on the clutch Bleed

I do not need to have someone break the bleeder open on depression? Just pump it?

I found this extreme method...

I liked the "Turn it upside down and bleed it part"

Old 04-18-2009, 10:40 AM
dustybumpers
FTE Legend
naaa..... just keep pumping. I think 1 I was working on a long time ago I had to open the bleeder, but it was air bound, and clutch wouldn't come up at all. yours has started to bleed, I think it will work the air out.just make sure to keep the master cyl topped off just like the brakes.

Old 04-19-2009, 07:31 AM
EPNCSU2006
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
To start bleeding the clutch, open the bleeder with the pedal up, press pedal to the floor, close the bleeder, lift the pedal and repeat. After doing this a few times, pump up the pedal like you would when bleeding brakes, hold the clutch to the floor, crack bleeder open then closed, pull the pedal up and repeat until you get no more bubbles. As far as I know, the clutch system is not self-bleeding.

Old 04-19-2009, 07:01 PM
Ztitan
Senior User
Yeah it is not self bleeding.. but that was not the problem.

The dang bushing wore out in the pedal and the shaft messed up the hole. Some new bushings and creative JB Weld work solved that problem.

Now I have a clutch noise when I depress the clutch pedal. I keep thinking I still have air in the line. I dunno.. That noise is like the clutch is not 100% disengaging or something.

Any suggestions? Please?

Old 04-19-2009, 09:02 PM
Ztitan
Senior User
Solved

The arm that the C/M push rod attaches too was set to far back. Aligned it correctly and poof no more trouble.

Old 04-22-2009, 11:07 AM
sphinx
Senior User
Originally Posted by Ztitan
Solved

The arm that the C/M push rod attaches too was set to far back. Aligned it correctly and poof no more trouble.

Fighting this same problem now myself, How exactly did you adjust the arm, I see where it is connected to the shaft but how did you tell how much to move it?

Old 04-22-2009, 01:47 PM
HrdDrv
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
As far as the miss problem? You can have mine. She even cooks. Let me know, I'll deliver.

Old 04-22-2009, 07:40 PM
Ztitan
Senior User
That would be the pick up coil

And I don't think my wife would go for another. And besides.. I already hate convincing one woman to let me spend money on toys let alone two!

Old 04-22-2009, 10:14 PM
HrdDrv
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Oh. Ok. I Got It! There's a WallyWerld outside of town. (I almost lost her at the last one...) Thanks anyway.