97 4.2l Engine Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 08:29 AM
mqford
Cross-Country
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
97 4.2l Engine Replacement

Hi, I just experienced the hydrolock problem in #1 in my 97 4.2l 5-Speed F-150. This is after 300,000+ miles so I lucked out. It finally set for 3 weeks waiting to get the starter fixed and apparently this was sufficient time for too much coolant to leak in.

Anyway, I plan to do an engine replacement from a local salvage yard.

I know I want to avoid getting another 97 and I have seen some of the same gasket complaints about some 98's. The guy at the yard says he has a 98 and 99 -- maybe some later ones, but that the 99 has electric actuators where mine has the vacuum actuators.

Is it any big deal to replace mine with any of the years 98 thru 03? That is, is the change from vacuum acutators to electric a big problem and are there other issues as you move farther from the 97 year?

Do I need to avoid the 98 model year altogether?

Is it a problem to get the engine out of an automatic vs my 5-speed?

And are there any "black box" issues that will need to be resolved?

Thanks

Old 04-19-2009, 03:04 PM
BrianA
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
here is a recent related thread:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...ngability.html

There are a few others if you want to use the search function.

I don't know the answers to all your questions. They are all good ones to ask, but I don't know the answer to all of them.

Not sure what you are referring to: electrical -vs- vacuum actuators. Actuators for what?

You could go with a '97 or '98 rebuild or used, so long as the gaskets have been replaced. (Later model year '98s came with the new gaskets)

Is yours not worth rebuilding?

Thanks and best of luck with your project!

Old 04-19-2009, 09:38 PM
mqford
Cross-Country
Hi Brian, I think what he meant is the IMRC's? This is a different subject, but when those little bushing break, u get a check engine light. Have to pull off the intake plenum to get to them. LOL Only reason I know about them is the parts guys at the Ford place where I got my parts were great at letting me know what things tended to get replaced a lot when I was getting those codes where 3 or 4 things might be wrong and the IMRCs were not even mentioned in the code.

Here is a link to a post about them.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/5...cuators-2.html

Well, anyway, I was wondering if I could just replace the rod. I don't drive the truck like I used to because of gas $.

Rebuild sounds good unless someone screws it up. Seemed like a low mileage engine (less than 100,000) would do what I need with less angst?

I checked out some other threads and looked at the Ford TSB. It says replace gaskets up to engine build of 1/15/1998. Local yard has a 98 with 87,000 for $1000, but need to call them back to see if build date is after the above.

Had a 1999 with 71,000 miles for the same price. Sounds like a better deal, but then he got into the well, it has electric (IMRC) actuators. Some of the threads mention that for one year or another u need to save wiring harness and fuel injectors, etc, etc.

Started sounding like those times when you think you got a great deal and then you start finding out about the fine print -- and there turns out to be a lot of it. OH NO MR. BILLLLLL!!!

I think I am coming to the conclusion that maybe things would work on any of them, but hang onto the core until the replacement is and running in just in case you need to keep some things off of it.

As far as the 99 goes, the yard guy said you just have to get a different connector or something or other -- uh huh. I am no expert in all the connections, vacuum lines, computer issues, etc. If the 99 has the same mounting holes for the actuators, I'd just slap my old ones on it.

I'll keep you informed no matter which way I go. I have to work on this thing outside, so that is not helpful either.

Thanks for the note!! Take care. If you run into someone that says "no matter what, don't do this!!!" Let me know. LOL

Old 04-20-2009, 08:23 AM
BrianA
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like you are doing your homework and that is a VERY good thing.

One thing puzzles me......

You said your '97 has vacuum operated IMRC, and a guy told you the 98 and 99 have electrical IMRC.
My 2000 had vacuum operated IMRC.
Did they switch back-and-forth?

I don't think so. I'll try and remember to check my Haynes manual tonight. I seem to remember it showing both types and giving model years affected.

Old 04-20-2009, 07:27 PM
mqford
Cross-Country
Well, the yard guy said the 99 had electric. Mine has the vac on top and an electrical connection also. I figure he was looking at some sort of interchange book. I have to go up where the yard is tomorrow, so hopefully they still have both and I can take a look at them and see what the deal is with the IMRCs.

I know when I spoke to him, I think I failed to mention mine was a manual, so hope they are not for an automatic. That would be a major PITA wouldn't it?

Oh, before I forget, do you know if it is a big deal to get things lined up when putting the engine back in? Are there any special tools or tricks to employ?

Thanks for your help, Mark