2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

Reverse sensing system

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 12:17 PM
mylo
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reverse sensing system

I have a 2007 Eddie Bauer expedition. My bumper to bumper warrantee is expired. The reverse sensing system (rss), just beeps rapidly when the vehicle is put in reverse. I have washed the bumper and cannot find anything wrong. I would like to just turn the system off, but cannot figure out how. The owner’s manual says you can but when I check the computer it is not listed as an option. I have also checked this with it in reverse and still can't find it. Does anybody know how to turn it off? Also when I do a system check, the computer tell me to check the air system. That would be fine and all .....but to my knowledge (I bought it used) I do not have the air system. Any help would be great. Thanks

Old 04-13-2009, 05:31 PM
TIKT B8
Senior User
Start the car and put it in reverse. When it is in reverse a message will appear on the message center. It says "Parking Aid", switch it to off.

Old 04-14-2009, 12:20 AM
Freak4Ford
Senior User
Mylo, you may want to take the time to get familair with your truck.

Old 04-14-2009, 06:05 AM
chuck s
Elder User
I thought the Bauers all had the rear air bags.

The reverse sensor will detect anything. I think it'll detect the ball on my trailer hitch. I know it detects the bike rack when it's on there. You can switch the sensor OFF just by pressing RESET when in reverse and beeping. But you have to do this every time.

I'd be taking this to my friendly local Ford dealer for some work.

-- Chuck

Old 04-14-2009, 07:22 AM
mylo
Freshman User
I would have thought the same thing that it should show up on the message center. When I put it in reverse the only thing on the message center is my odometer and what ever else I have on there like miles to empty etc. This is so baffleing. I am wondering if there is an issue with the message center. I have the window sticker for the vehicle and it does not say that I have the air suspension....but if you do a system check through the message center, it tells you to check the air suspension....does not give you an on off option or anything....I am totally stumped. I am going to take it into the dealer to get a front end alignment, and some paint bubbles that are on the tail gate looked at. I will see if they can fix it... but if it is too expensive hopefully they can turn it off.

The funny thing is that I am usually pretty car literate....but what the owners manual says and what I have are two different things. I am wondering if any of this matters that I have the rear DVD, and the automatic heat and air. I appreciate your help.... thanks

Old 04-14-2009, 10:09 AM
berry1234
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mylo
I would have thought the same thing that it should show up on the message center. When I put it in reverse the only thing on the message center is my odometer and what ever else I have on there like miles to empty etc. This is so baffleing. I am wondering if there is an issue with the message center. I have the window sticker for the vehicle and it does not say that I have the air suspension....but if you do a system check through the message center, it tells you to check the air suspension....does not give you an on off option or anything....I am totally stumped. I am going to take it into the dealer to get a front end alignment, and some paint bubbles that are on the tail gate looked at. I will see if they can fix it... but if it is too expensive hopefully they can turn it off.

The funny thing is that I am usually pretty car literate....but what the owners manual says and what I have are two different things. I am wondering if any of this matters that I have the rear DVD, and the automatic heat and air. I appreciate your help.... thanks
There might be a short or failure, that is why you are not seeing the message. If you pull the tray and cup holder-they just lift up- on the rear driver side cargo area, you can shine a light in there and see a small speaker and wire harness. You can disconnect that and see if that stops the beep.

Old 04-16-2009, 07:26 PM
mylo
Freshman User
Well, I figured out why I could not turn off the reverse sensing system.....it is an aftermarket unit. Makes sense now why it wasn't in the message center. Thanks for all of your help. You guys are a wealth on information. Thanks