Just an update on us - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
Arizona Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

Just an update on us

Old 04-09-2009, 02:27 AM
kermmydog
Post Fiend
kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.
Smile Just an update on us

Vici & I are headed to Parker on Sunday. Vici has a job interview there. Things have been up in the air here. First the Teachers Union & the School District came to a verbal agreement that if they would not take pay increases that there would be no lay offs. Then today the District came out that they are laying off 5 teachers. So anyway, Vici has decided to interview in Parker. We were kind of hoping to stay here one more year so she could finish her Masters Degree. It appears Nevada is in real trouble ecomonically, because they get most of their money from gaming tax. With gaming in the toilet Nevada is out of money & has no way to raise any.
That is what many of us have said over the years, Nevada needed to diversify more. Not rely on only Gaming & the hit & miss mining. But the brilliant leaders we keep electing here have never been willing to take action. So now Nevada will pay a very heavy price it appears. If Nevada politicians for years wouldn't of fought Yucca Mountain, Nevada would of had BILLIONS of surplus. At one time the DOE would of given Nevada ANYTHING to have their blessing on Yucca Mountain. Sadly most of us old Nevadans wanted Yucca Mountain. It was the NEWCOMERS to Las Vegas that didn't.
Arizona as most States are having problems but Arizona has a very diverse economy compared to Nevada. So it leaves avenues to raise money easier.
So we are rethinking things again for the thousandth time. So I'll keep everyone posted to if we are going to end up in Parker.
We lived in Parker the winter of 2000. We both like it there. We have been told that a WalMart has been approved to be built there soon. Vici's God Parents spend the winter there & will be returning this month.
Craig
Sorry about the double post. I having internet problems.

Old 04-09-2009, 03:16 AM
bigunred
Elder User
bigunred is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Glad to hear from you, and that things are atleast moving for you. I agree on the nevada tax structure but having lived in a few states, i dont feel that AZ is in any better shape . No forsight just get what you can as fast as you can and hope it holds out.

Old 04-09-2009, 09:31 AM
helifixer
Post Fiend
helifixer has a superb reputationhelifixer has a superb reputationhelifixer has a superb reputationhelifixer has a superb reputationhelifixer has a superb reputationhelifixer has a superb reputationhelifixer has a superb reputationhelifixer has a superb reputationhelifixer has a superb reputationhelifixer has a superb reputationhelifixer has a superb reputation
hi craig, thanks for the update. I think right now a job anywhere is a good thing and something to hold on to.

Old 04-09-2009, 10:04 AM
UP_There
Post Fiend
UP_There has much to be proud ofUP_There has much to be proud ofUP_There has much to be proud ofUP_There has much to be proud ofUP_There has much to be proud ofUP_There has much to be proud ofUP_There has much to be proud ofUP_There has much to be proud ofUP_There has much to be proud ofUP_There has much to be proud of
good luck on the job hunt Craig....you guys are like Gypsies! lol Arizona pretty much statewide has given "tentative" pink slips to thousands of teachers! Meaning.....that if they don't get the federal funding or stimulus money, they are forced to layoff a LOT. Make sure that Vici asks lots of questions about that subject, it's pretty confusing, they issued the notices, and at the same time said they won't be laying off everyone who got them.....our economy woes are far from over

Old 04-09-2009, 11:02 PM
kermmydog
Post Fiend
kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.
Yea, how true what you guys are saying. The one advantage is her being Special Ed. That is Federally mandated & funded for the most part. So unless the Feds go belly up there will be funding & jobs.
Today, the union told its members that Special Ed here is safe for next year. So NOW Vici's job is safe.
But we are still going to Parker to check out that position. We want a vacation anyway. So we will treat it like a vacation. We want to visit some friends in Pahrump NV. So we are going to take a few days of R&R. It will be good for both of us.
We feel we need to do whatever foot work is in front of us, & let God direct.
Craig

Old 04-15-2009, 10:12 AM
AzBlueWolf
Post Fiend
AzBlueWolf has much to be proud ofAzBlueWolf has much to be proud ofAzBlueWolf has much to be proud ofAzBlueWolf has much to be proud ofAzBlueWolf has much to be proud ofAzBlueWolf has much to be proud ofAzBlueWolf has much to be proud ofAzBlueWolf has much to be proud ofAzBlueWolf has much to be proud ofAzBlueWolf has much to be proud of
Good Luck Craig and Vicki!

Good to hear from you and enjoy your vacation!

My brother got laid off 3 weeks ago...He has been following every lead and finally has a job to start next monday!

He will prolly get 5 more offers now that he has one!

I am still not working and still filing paperwork to get money coming in!

I need to call the cardiologist today for test results, he was supposed to call monday.

Old 04-19-2009, 04:45 PM
kermmydog
Post Fiend
Mark are you off on a medical? Hope you are getting better.
We returned from a wonderful vacation to Parker. couldn't of asked for better weather. Vici's interview went real well. It looks about 90% sure we will end up in Parker for next year. The only reason they didn't hire her on the spot was that contracts have been held back as per the State for two weeks. Once contracts go out & get back then they can officially hire. They told her if Nevada offered her a contract before she heard from them to call them ASAP. We learned that Special Ed in Arizona is completely seperate from regular ed as far as funding. Most of the stimulus money coming is ear marked for Special Ed. In part because it falls under Fed mandates & funding. So Special Ed is not in trouble as are general education. It is kind of sad that our future leaders aren't as important as Special Ed students as per our wonderful Government. We see Lake Havasu has 2 Sped openings also. Several years ago when Vici got into education a teacher she had in school pulled her aside on day & told her that if she was going to get into education as a teacher that she needed to get into Special Ed, that way she would always have a job. This teacher saw the writing on the wall. Special Ed teachers are in so much demand that very few schools have enough. It is listed as one of the most recession/depression proof jobs just below medical personal.
Travis we aren't Gypsies, we are living the "The Promised Land". One day we may settle down again. We both lived in one place for years. When we got married 12 years ago we decided to travel & enjoy different places & people. I have to say it has been a wonder journey.
Craig

Old 04-19-2009, 11:17 PM
helifixer
Post Fiend
helifixer has a superb reputationhelifixer has a superb reputationhelifixer has a superb reputationhelifixer has a superb reputationhelifixer has a superb reputationhelifixer has a superb reputationhelifixer has a superb reputationhelifixer has a superb reputationhelifixer has a superb reputationhelifixer has a superb reputationhelifixer has a superb reputation
sounds like great news Craig, I know our local teachers are getting hit hard, I heard that high school teachers will have a 60 to 80 - 1 ratio next year and middle will be 45 to 1 ratio. also 45% of school staff getting laid off! I haven't figured out how un educated people are going to help the economy but some of our leaders seem willing to try it.

Old 04-20-2009, 01:01 AM
kermmydog
Post Fiend
Smile

Originally Posted by helifixer View Post
sounds like great news Craig, I know our local teachers are getting hit hard, I heard that high school teachers will have a 60 to 80 - 1 ratio next year and middle will be 45 to 1 ratio. also 45% of school staff getting laid off! I haven't figured out how un educated people are going to help the economy but some of our leaders seem willing to try it.
That was our thoughts also. Special Ed is getting most of this money that is coming yet regular education is being chopped apart. The Republicans are as guilty as the Democrats for this mind set. In fact the Republican are worse, Nevada's Republican Governor has given his staff a huge pay raise as he cuts education more than anything else in the State. Governor Gibbons gets a State pension, for being in the State Assembly, a Federal pension for being a US Senator plus a salary for Governor, & is working on a second State retirement. So I'm positive he feels the pain many Nevadan's face. I'm sure he cares also.
Craig

Old 04-20-2009, 09:23 AM
AzBlueWolf
Post Fiend
AzBlueWolf has much to be proud ofAzBlueWolf has much to be proud ofAzBlueWolf has much to be proud ofAzBlueWolf has much to be proud ofAzBlueWolf has much to be proud ofAzBlueWolf has much to be proud ofAzBlueWolf has much to be proud ofAzBlueWolf has much to be proud ofAzBlueWolf has much to be proud ofAzBlueWolf has much to be proud of
Hey Craig...Good news for Vicki!

yeah, its weird, I got terminated, but I am elligible for short term disability and long term disability.

my cobra insurance is only costing me $140 a month ( for 9 months)

Old 04-20-2009, 03:36 PM
bigunred
Elder User
Glad to hear things are moving along for you guys. I wish you all the best, on where you want to end up.

Old 04-20-2009, 06:11 PM
kermmydog
Post Fiend
Smile

Originally Posted by bigunred View Post
Glad to hear things are moving along for you guys. I wish you all the best, on where you want to end up.
Jason are you still on your way to Elko in May?

Old 04-21-2009, 04:10 PM
bigunred
Elder User
No, we are not. I bought a place out in buckeye for a price I couldnt pass up. The wife makes a better than average living here, so I dont need big pay my self. We just decided there are worse places to raise a family than here. So an Arizonan I'll be, i guess. Besides where she works is super stable and in todays world job changes are risky bussiness.

Old 04-22-2009, 01:31 AM
kermmydog
Post Fiend
Jason,
That is in my opinion a good choice. Arizona somehow has maintained its identity even with all the growth. Where Nevada is quickly becoming Eastern California. On the Reno news the other day they stated Nevada is in the worst financial condition of any of the 50 States. My wife & I grew up in Nevada & neither of us recognize much of this State anymore. We know a few old-time Nevadans that are in Arizona & talking with them it seems we all agree Arizona today is what Nevada WAS 30 years ago. Schools in Arizona are much better for the children. You have choices of Public or Charter schools not to mention private schools. My wife likes teaching much better in Arizona than Nevada.
Elko, has turned into a crappy place to live. The corruption there is just unreal. Not to mention COLD. Yea there is hunting & fishing but Arizona, & Utah offer great spots also.
Anyway, we are hoping to join you in Arizona soon.
Vici got her letter of intent today & has until May 11 to sign it or reject it. She called Parker today & they asked if she would sit on it until next week & by mid week they would have an answer for her. They want her they just are in a holding pattern waiting on the State & contracts. So it will work out as it is suppose to. Either way she has a job for next year. Parker has until May 9th to hire her. After that she will have to sign here for one more year. That isn't the worst thing. Since moving to Fallon I much happier because I have friends here & things to do. So more will be revealed, I'll keep you guys posted.
Craig

Old 04-22-2009, 05:00 PM
bigunred
Elder User
Yeah we dont recognize much thats the same in north east NV. Over the way it was 10 or even 15 years ago. But like my dad always said times are a changen just at the moment it doesn't seem for the better. I'm sure we will all be better for this but it's hard to see how at the present. I am glad you have a choice, so many I know dont. Once again, I hope it works out the best for you and yours. I never pictuered my self being here more than the year that my wife needed for her schooling here. It has been a hard pill to swallow that our plans have changed, well actually dried up. But as we live here we are slowly warming up (sorry no punn intended) to living here for a long time. We are going to let our youngest graduate from here, another 5 years. So life has a funny way of movin you along and then making a few choices for you. Anyways sorry bout the ramble, I hope you join us back here in AZ soon.

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.