Let's Talk Paint Color Theory

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 08:18 AM
teds74ford
Logistics Pro
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Let's Talk Paint Color Theory

I know you "real" paint guys are going to cringe at this, but I am working on another truck and want to know about mixing cheap paint (rustoleum) for a custom color.

Here's my question: what would tinting a silver paint green do? On this truck, I wanted to use rustoleum hammered. I bought a can of their deep green and tested it, but it came out too teal for my taste. It got me to thinking, could I tint their hammered silver to still get that finish, but in a more pleasing color?

Is this crazy

Old 04-06-2009, 03:33 PM
ReAX
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not an expert, but I would say if your green is teal, then making it lighter with a silver will make it more light green. Pretty much the same goes for the mixing it the other way. I think you need a darker green to keep from getting teal and light green mixes.

If you have the time, maybe try a base coat of your silver then very lightly spray the green over it. I've done this with some other items and colors to make some cool effects.

Old 04-06-2009, 07:45 PM
teds74ford
Logistics Pro
Thanks for the reply. I was thinking of using a silver as the base and then tinting it.

What would that do?

Old 04-06-2009, 08:03 PM
ReAX
Post Fiend
Spraying the silver first would mean the body is silver, then a light spray of green over it, will give it a sheen of green. Try it on a piece of junk or cardboard and see if you like it.

Old 04-06-2009, 09:08 PM
teds74ford
Logistics Pro
I am talking about taking the rustoleum hammered silver to the hardware store and having it tinted at the paint section.

Is this viable? The reason I want to do this is just because I can brush/roll it on. Perfect for an offroad vehicle ( and touch ups)

Old 04-06-2009, 10:54 PM
Chaosracing
Posting Guru
Actually the better color to use would be a white base. I dont know if they make a hammered white or not. But the best thing to do is find any paint or color sample that you want as far as color, then take it to the hardware store and get them to match (or use their paint chips) I know Home Depot, Glidden, Sherwin Williams, MAB and other stores have a computer that scans the color sample and tells them what to add to the white to make that color.
If you want to use the silver as a base, then its gonna be hit or miss as far as coloring it and I can guarentee that the store will never guarantee the final color.

Old 04-07-2009, 06:52 AM
teds74ford
Logistics Pro
Yeah, I know white "would" be better. The hammered choices are: silver, blue, black, charcoal, copper, and brown. I was thinking that silver would be the best for trying to make green.

My thinking was that tinting the silver would make it almost look like a translucent.

What happens to silver when it is tinted?

Old 04-07-2009, 09:45 AM
Chaosracing
Posting Guru
Dont know, never tried it. I have mixed other colors to make a custom color (but that was for enduro cars and demo derby cars) Only thing I can say is to give it a try and see what happens. Like I said before, its gonna be experimention and hit or miss as far as trying to use the silver as a base. You are taking the right step as far as mixing paints is concerned, you always start out with the lighter color then tint to go darker.

Old 04-08-2009, 07:31 AM
teds74ford
Logistics Pro
Thanks for the replies. I am going to email rustoleum and see what they say. Who knows, I might wing it and then be sanding it all back off after I hate it

Old 04-08-2009, 09:54 AM
Carlene
Admom
Received 188 Likes on 116 Posts
I think contacting rustoleum is your best bet.

I was originally wanting to do the windshield frame of our CJ-5 in a dark brown, but not the brown they had at the store so asked at Lowes if they could mix a white to my color - nope, they do not tint rustoleum.

I ended up painting it black with one rustoleum product and then put another coat on not paying attention that the other black I had was the Hammered. Man did I have a mess to clean up.......they did not like each other at all. Ya ever heard the song "Tiny Bubbles".

Old 04-08-2009, 01:50 PM
teds74ford
Logistics Pro
Yeah, I have used both products, so I know what I am getting into. I am just looking for a different color. I emailed them, so now we just play the waiting game.

Thanks again everybody for the replies.