Notices
6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6.7 Ford Engine

Old 04-05-2009, 06:35 PM
icrman
Senior User
icrman is starting off with a positive reputation.
6.7 Ford Engine

I hate to rain on the parade, but from the few things I have found out about this new engine, its looking like its going to be more of a problem than the 6.0 and 6.4 put together. It is really a shame that Ford wouldn't look outside the box for some engineering ideas, like they did in the old days. Too much of the cutting the corners deal. Or do these auto companies just do stupid things to purposely goof themselves up financially? Hmmm seems that way. Yeah I could be wrong. Lets wait and see. If it is made like the one article said, then I predict there is going to be a rash of expensive repairs down the road. Hope I'm wrong.

Old 04-06-2009, 01:35 AM
rollerstud98
Postmaster
rollerstud98 has much to be proud ofrollerstud98 has much to be proud ofrollerstud98 has much to be proud ofrollerstud98 has much to be proud ofrollerstud98 has much to be proud ofrollerstud98 has much to be proud ofrollerstud98 has much to be proud ofrollerstud98 has much to be proud ofrollerstud98 has much to be proud ofrollerstud98 has much to be proud of
Don't think you are raining on anybodies parade, you quote no sources so everything you say, just like everything read in magazines with no actual evidence to back anything up is just hear say. That will always happen though. Oh and I always take threads like this one as coming from people who can't afford to buy the new truck but actually wish they could do so when it comes out.

Old 04-07-2009, 02:15 AM
icrman
Senior User
Originally Posted by rollerstud98 View Post
Don't think you are raining on anybodies parade, you quote no sources so everything you say, just like everything read in magazines with no actual evidence to back anything up is just hear say. That will always happen though. Oh and I always take threads like this one as coming from people who can't afford to buy the new truck but actually wish they could do so when it comes out.
Quote sources? It is any source that has detailed information on the construction of the engine.
It has nothing to do with can't afford to buy.
Engines are my passion. I'm just disapointed when I see them doing things they should not do on a supposed heavy duty diesel engine. Lets just wait and see what happens. Then we can revive this.

Old 04-09-2009, 09:50 PM
bluextc
New User
bluextc is starting off with a positive reputation.
What makes Ford think they can build a diesel engine when they can't repair the ones they already use. Good luck they will need it.

Old 04-10-2009, 08:07 AM
Lead Head
Post Fiend
Lead Head is a name known to allLead Head is a name known to allLead Head is a name known to allLead Head is a name known to allLead Head is a name known to allLead Head is a name known to all
Originally Posted by bluextc View Post
What makes Ford think they can build a diesel engine when they can't repair the ones they already use. Good luck they will need it.
They can fix the 6.0s just fine. It just doesn't help that they have to replace the parts that just failed with the same ones. Blame international for that. Some dealers will install headstuds under warranty, and most of the problems go away.

Old 04-11-2009, 11:46 PM
mnmwhit
Elder User
mnmwhit is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Sounds to me like someone just wants to argue and complain.

Old 04-12-2009, 02:16 AM
icrman
Senior User
Originally Posted by mnmwhit View Post
Sounds to me like someone just wants to argue and complain.

Not my intention, I just wanted to be psychic and predict. Time will tell.

Old 04-12-2009, 09:00 PM
a-rod
Posting Guru
a-rod is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.a-rod is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I think it will be good, I think it has to be if ford wants to stay in the game, my only problem is with the place its being built....

Old 04-12-2009, 09:35 PM
Louisville Joe
Elder User
Louisville Joe is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Louisville Joe is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I think I know where icrman is coming from. I have been working on all kinds of diesels for years, and as time goes on, they are getting far more troublesome, less economical, and far more expensive. They don't last as long as they did (thank EGR and low lubricity fuel). You really can't justify a diesel in a pickup anymore. 2010 is going to be worse with urea injection and SRC catalysts. 600 ft. lbs. is meaningless if it is torque managed and the driveline can't take it. Aftermarket mods and programmers void the warranty. I am thinking gas for my next truck.

Old 04-13-2009, 06:28 PM
origcharger
Posting Guru
origcharger has a good reputation on FTE.origcharger has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Louisville Joe View Post
I have been working on all kinds of diesels for years, and as time goes on, they are getting far more troublesome, less economical, and far more expensive. They don't last as long as they did (thank EGR and low lubricity fuel).
Do you have any specific examples of Diesel engines not lasting as long because of EGR and low lubricity fuel? Or any specific examples of ULSD being too low in lubricity?

Old 04-13-2009, 07:10 PM
Louisville Joe
Elder User
Louisville Joe is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Louisville Joe is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
In California, we have seen a significant reduction in lubricity long before ULSD. When the low lubricity fuel was introduced, we saw a lot of injection pump failures in older diesels. Seems a lot were Stanadyne distributor style pumps as used on 6.5L GM diesels and International V-8's. Those pump problems were addressed with improved replacement pumps, but I wonder what affect it is having on internal engine parts. I was noticing higher oil consumption in many units around the same tme. After EGR was introduced, even higher oil consumption. My EGR engines don't have that many miles on them yet. I should do oil anlysis on them. I am hearing from other fleets of fewer miles between in-frame overhauls.

Old 04-15-2009, 09:29 PM
greggara
Junior User
greggara is starting off with a positive reputation.
I thought the 6.7 was a simple pushrod with post combustion urea injection whereas the 6.4 uses regen spraying fuel on the exhaust stroke.

If this is the case wouldn't the 6.7 technically be more simple than the 6.4 engine for engine?

Old 04-15-2009, 10:33 PM
Lead Head
Post Fiend
Lead Head is a name known to allLead Head is a name known to allLead Head is a name known to allLead Head is a name known to allLead Head is a name known to allLead Head is a name known to all
The 6.7 is no simpler then the 6.4. Maybe in the fact that it is single turbo vs. the 6.4's sequential. Both are 32 valve push rod engines.

Urea injected has nothing to do with DPF regeneration. They are both part of the emissions system but do entirely different tasks.

A 6.4 has a DPF, a 6.7 will have a DPF and an SCR NOx catalyst. The 6.7 will still have the added injector pulse to increase EGTs, as well as the urea injection system infront of the NOx catalyst.

The DPF filters soot, the SCR/NOx catalyst reduced NOx emissions.

Old 04-15-2009, 10:59 PM
greggara
Junior User
greggara is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by Lead Head View Post
The 6.7 is no simpler then the 6.4. Maybe in the fact that it is single turbo vs. the 6.4's sequential. Both are 32 valve push rod engines.

Urea injected has nothing to do with DPF regeneration. They are both part of the emissions system but do entirely different tasks.

A 6.4 has a DPF, a 6.7 will have a DPF and an SCR NOx catalyst. The 6.7 will still have the added injector pulse to increase EGTs, as well as the urea injection system infront of the NOx catalyst.

The DPF filters soot, the SCR/NOx catalyst reduced NOx emissions.
Ok but the fact that the 6.7 doesn't have regen on the exhaust stroke isn't more simple as far as the engine is concerned?

Old 04-15-2009, 11:36 PM
Lead Head
Post Fiend
The 6.7 still has the injector pulse on the exhaust stroke...It still has a DPF that needs to be regenerated...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 6.7 Ford Engine

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: