Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trans temp location

Old 04-05-2009, 12:07 PM
milleroutdoors
Posting Guru
milleroutdoors has a very good reputation on FTE.milleroutdoors has a very good reputation on FTE.milleroutdoors has a very good reputation on FTE.milleroutdoors has a very good reputation on FTE.
Trans temp location

1st off just spent the last couple of days (and nights) with Clay @ riffraff, great guy and is able to get almost anything for our trucks. While installing the transmission temp sending unit the bolt on the drivers side "test" port will not budge. I have tried everything I can think of and started drilling it out. Then since I was 4hrs from home I stopped drove home and now have to decide what path to follow. Is there another location for the sending unit? If I remove the pan will I see the plug at the recommended spot? If I cannot see it I have decided I would rather not drill it out and run the risk of metal in the tranny. Instead, I was wondering about dropping the pan and drilling and tapping a location on the pan. Any recommendations on placement, I wll add the pan is a 14qt hughes. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks in advance.

Old 04-05-2009, 02:34 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
F350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputation
Usually those bolts are not that tight. You should be able to feel the back of the plug with the pan removed, don't know if you can see it without a mirror. Maybe Mark K will see this and let us know about alternative locations that will work.

Old 04-05-2009, 03:05 PM
megawatt00
Post Fiend
megawatt00 has a superb reputationmegawatt00 has a superb reputationmegawatt00 has a superb reputationmegawatt00 has a superb reputationmegawatt00 has a superb reputationmegawatt00 has a superb reputationmegawatt00 has a superb reputationmegawatt00 has a superb reputationmegawatt00 has a superb reputationmegawatt00 has a superb reputationmegawatt00 has a superb reputation
Try soaking it with PB Blaster it will weep into the threads. You may have to hit it a few times over the course of a few days. Another method is to apply a little heat from a propane torch around the plug. This will cause it to expand and hopefully break the corrosion free. Do this very carefully though. Do not use to much heat or an Oxy torch. Propane or Map gas only.

Old 04-05-2009, 03:10 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Post Fiend
Mark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by F350-6 View Post
You should be able to feel the back of the plug with the pan removed, don't know if you can see it without a mirror.
No, you can't get to the plug with the pan off. It isn't a pass through into the pan, it's a tap into a pressure line. If it were open into the pan it wouldn';t be able to hold pressure.

Be VERY careful using heat near an aluminum case. It doesn't take that much heat to ruin the case, and that's expensive!

If you can't get it loose with penetrating oil, you should look into installing it in the pan.

Old 04-05-2009, 04:24 PM
milleroutdoors
Posting Guru
milleroutdoors has a very good reputation on FTE.milleroutdoors has a very good reputation on FTE.milleroutdoors has a very good reputation on FTE.milleroutdoors has a very good reputation on FTE.
We soaked with penetrating oil, used some heat, not a lot due to the aluminum, dremelled a slot and tried to use a screwdeiver after the head rounded using a 6sided socket, drilled the center and tried an ez out. Will not budge. It was suggested to jb weld the center back into the bolt, and drill and tap the pan. Where on the pan would be the best location?

Old 04-06-2009, 10:33 PM
milleroutdoors
Posting Guru
Finally got the bolt out!!!! PB Blaster and a different day and it finally broke loose.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.