HELP 390 Smokes like a Coal Plant?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 12:47 PM
kylecoyote
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP 390 Smokes like a Coal Plant?

Well heres the deal I pulled the 390 out of my pickup to put a new tranny and clutch in. Motor had no problems before it was removed. I decided to install new gaskets while I had the motor out. I cleaned all mating surfaces and checked the torque setting twice. The only seal that I didn't touch were the valve seals. Now I have it back in and running. Doesn't run bad but its blowing oil smoke like crazy. Smokes up the whole neighborhood and gets worse right when you get on it. I went back and checked the torque on the intake and head bolts all good. Haven't done a compression test. I pulled the plugs and they were oily no suprise there. Do the bolts for the rocker arm assembly allow oil to flow into the intake ports or any other bolt that may do that. Thats the only thing i can think of other then some how the valve seals. I didnt remove the pistons while i had it out. Thanks for your guys help this is extremely frusterating.

Old 04-04-2009, 12:51 PM
Holiver31
Posting Guru
could just be coincidence that a piston ring went bad after when you put it back in

Old 04-04-2009, 01:05 PM
kylecoyote
Senior User
Could have happened but all the plugs on the passenger side have oil. I did have the heads upside down while I had them off could the umbrella seals pop out. THe motor has about 60000 on a rebuild

Old 04-04-2009, 01:24 PM
Holiver31
Posting Guru
well anything could have happened lol,,is there any vavle chatter?

Old 04-04-2009, 01:27 PM
kylecoyote
Senior User
No valve chatter it actually runs good but i am sure it won't be long until the plugs are fouled.

Old 04-04-2009, 01:31 PM
Holiver31
Posting Guru
if your seals were bad you would probably be getting a little chatter at least,,,idk you might just have to tear it down,,im no guru with engines i just no a little bout 390s,,you might wanna wait until someone else pops in here but its either seals, rings or you busted a jacket of some sort when you had them apart

Old 04-04-2009, 07:25 PM
shanes66charger
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Intake gasket for sure. pull the intake off and take a peek. thats the problem!

cheers

Old 04-04-2009, 09:53 PM
kylecoyote
Senior User
Negative on the intake gasket. I have it figured out. For some reason the valve seals are riding up the valve stems (they're the only thing i didn't replace). I can push them down with a screwdriver and then start it and it won't smoke for about 30 seconds. Does anybody know why they would do this now. I am thinking that when I cleaned the heads I dried the seals out and they stuck to stems. But since its oiled now shouldn't they stay down. I have only replaced chevy valve seals and they kind of pop into place. These umbrella seals just seem to sit there. What is supposed to keep them on the head? Thanks for your your guys' help

Old 04-04-2009, 10:14 PM
kylecoyote
Senior User
Does anybody have a link or a picture that shows how the exhaust and intake valves and springs go together. I bought a compressor but would like to know what I'm getting myself into before I start. Thanks.

Old 04-05-2009, 08:35 AM
Bullitt390
Certified Thread Hijacker

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts
You have umbrella valve stem seals, they ride on the valve just as you describe.

It's your intake gasket. Buy a new set, anything but the Fel-Pro print-o-Seal and redo the intake.

When setting the intake down, DO NOT shift it back and forth. Gasket tack the gaskets to the head so they WILL NOT MOVE. Notice I said gasket tack, like Gaskacinch, do not smear silicone around the intake ports, just the coolant passages.

As for end seals, most use a bead of silicone, others use the cork, it's your call on that.

But again, set the intake down, drop the distributor into the hole, and start torquing bolts. And go gradually in 3 steps, not all at once.

Josh

Old 04-05-2009, 09:13 AM
daddy172005
Senior User
I don't have anything to add but im curious as to how you came up with intake gaskets causing the problem. Seems kind of odd to me.

Old 04-05-2009, 09:52 AM
kylecoyote
Senior User
Ok Im following you on the intake gaskets but could you explain how the oils is getting to each individual cylinder. I did the intake gaskets with the motor in the truck once before and didn't have any problems. When I installed the intake I used silicone to hold the front and rear cork gaskets into place, the gaskets that go between the head and intake pop onto the head gaskets so they don't move. I then used the cherry picker to slowly set the intake on and then gradually torqued it down as your saying to do. Sorry if I seem rude I just cant see how oil could get into each cylinder on both sides of the engine through the intake gasket. Second if it was the intake gasket why would the smoking stop when I pushed the seals down? Thanks for all you help I am just really frusterated. Also with the valve covers off I can look at the intake gaskets and tall the ports line up great and the tops are where they need to be with the cylinder head, unless it's possible to mix the sides up I can't see how it's allowing oil to get in the cylinders?

Old 04-05-2009, 12:00 PM
kylecoyote
Senior User
OK i picked up a set of intake gaskets the only brand other than fel pro I could find are Victor Reinz?? Any thoughts on these before I button it back up. Thanks again for all the help!!!

Old 04-05-2009, 12:39 PM
Holiver31
Posting Guru
i really dont see how its the intake gasket,,bullit can you explain that to me. Not tryin to be a d#ck im just curious.

Old 04-05-2009, 01:34 PM
Bullitt390
Certified Thread Hijacker

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts
The FE engine is unique in that the valve covers go OVER the intake ports, which means they are constantly being saturated in oil.

It doesn't take much to distort the intake gaskets and allow a vacuum leak, therefore sucking in oil.

Yes the gaskets lock onto the head gaskets, but sometimes this will also help "hang" the gaskets up, not letting them lay flat and cinch down.

The Voctor Reinz gaskets are awesome, easily the best, then the standard fel-pro, followed by Mr. Gasket. McCord used to make an awesome gasket, but no idea what happened to them.

Also, it's possible with the FE intake to actually torque the intake down slightly ****-eyed... exposing intake ports on one side.

Of course, reaching in with a screwdriver and messing with the valve seals can't be helping much.

Josh

Quick Reply: HELP 390 Smokes like a Coal Plant?