1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Leaking Diesel....

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 06:05 PM
dcate
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leaking Diesel....

Noticed a few drops last week, on the back side of the oil pan, passenger side. Today, started the truck.....dripping diesel from that area. Changed my fuel filter last week, checked my seal, nothing coming out there (checked it while running). Looks like it is pooling on the top of the motor then dripping off the passenger rear side of the motor. Couldn't find any wet spots around the fuel filter canister, couldn't see any active dripping either. 97 Powerstroke, 4x4. Any ideas? Thanks

Old 04-03-2009, 06:09 PM
97biostroke
Senior User
I'm in the same boat. Small leak, but occasionally will drop a quart of fuel on the ground within a minute. My parents wont let me park in the driveway anymore, and my mileage dropped a little. Boo

Old 04-03-2009, 06:10 PM
KevinC.
Elder User
On the 97, the fuel restriction sensor is on the FPR, (located on the right side of the fuel canister). That is a problem leaker. Also could be the pump going bad, leaking from the weep hole.

Best bet is to totally degrease and dry the valley. Run engine and get good light and even a small mirror to pinpoint the leak.

Old 04-03-2009, 06:11 PM
Talyn
Hotshot
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
make sure you get the old gasket out when changing the fuel filter.

Old 04-03-2009, 06:41 PM
dcate
New User
Kevin C. -- FPR, on the right side of the canister if your looking at it or from the driver seat? From looking at it a little before having to leave for work, looks like something from a fitting (maybe) on the drivers side, between the filter canister and the air filter box.

Plan to degrease and clean it all off this weekend. Thanks for input everyone!

Old 04-03-2009, 06:42 PM
KevinC.
Elder User
Originally Posted by dcate
Kevin C. -- FPR, on the right side of the canister if your looking at it or from the driver seat? From looking at it a little before having to leave for work, looks like something from a fitting (maybe) on the drivers side, between the filter canister and the air filter box.

Plan to degrease and clean it all off this weekend. Thanks for input everyone!
Nope, right side from in front of the truck, or drivers side. I'm puttin my money on that sensor. its 19.99 at IH or just us a 1/8npt plug

Old 04-03-2009, 06:45 PM
KevinC.
Elder User
I would get you the part # but I'm not on my personal computer and dont have them all. I would just plug it with a brass plug. The wire being unhooked wont hurt anything. Just make sure you change ur fuel filter every other oil change.

Old 04-03-2009, 06:57 PM
dcate
New User
Thanks! Will clean it all up tomorrow and figure it out! I always keep up on changing the fuel filter, changing my oil, everything else.....I know it'll last as long as I take good care of it!

Old 04-03-2009, 07:43 PM
RÖENTGEEP
FOREIGN GURU

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Fuel Filter Restriction Sensor
(Ford) E8TZ-9S283-A
(International) 1809435C1

Also could be the wheep hole in the fuel pump, fuel lines, banjo bolt washers, o-ring of the fuel canister, etc.
Remember be careful if you change the sensor or use a plug, DONT OVERTHIGTHEN, or you will break de FPR.
<o></o>

Old 04-04-2009, 07:26 AM
bleeds blue
More Turbo
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Had the same problem and didnt take it too serious until I lost both tanks of diesel 80 miles away from home. Previous owner wasnt big on PM and never changed the fuel filter. Water ate a large hole through the bottom of the fuel filter bowl. PITA!

Old 04-06-2009, 02:24 PM
dcate
New User
So got in there and looked at everything. Started the truck and just watched for a few, noticed almost right away where it is leaking from. I'll try to put a picture on here to show where it is leaking from. .... Called local Ford service guys and they told me that they weren't familiar with the "Fuel Restriction Sensor". They told me I would have to buy the whole Fuel Filter Assembly ($500) or replace the Fuel Separater Canister ($370). Man do I hate gettin the whole runaround......

Old 04-06-2009, 02:44 PM
dcate
New User
Ok, so I can't figure out how to get the picture on here...

Old 04-06-2009, 02:49 PM
RÖENTGEEP
FOREIGN GURU

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by dcate
Ok, so I can't figure out how to get the picture on here...
I think you need more posts to do it. And change the dealer for another one. that service guys seems to not know anything.

Old 04-06-2009, 04:36 PM
KevinC.
Elder User
Look here, https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...-write-up.html The second picture down with the arrow pointing to it is where I am guessing it is from. Goes into detail with part numbers on how to fix.

Old 04-06-2009, 05:24 PM
dcate
New User
You guessed right! It was a pretty steady drip coming out of there once I started it. Now I've got the part #, can get it fixed tomorrow. Thanks all!

Oh and about finding another dealer for info....I used to go to the better one, but they closed their doors a few months back.....