1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Coil Problem.Need help.

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 09:12 PM
Fordzilla80
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 81-F-150-Explorer
Well as factory, upper starter bolt, with a tang to ground it to the frame around the center of the cable, midway through the cable length.

So you will have to improvise.

As for the starting problem. A worn out or misadjusted ignition switch can cause that.
What do you mean by a tang?

And ignition switch?Great.Is there any way I can test it to see if it's worn out?And if it's misadjusted,is there any way that I can readjust it?Thanks for the help.

Old 04-10-2009, 10:56 PM
86bigred
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i had a similar problem.that push button to release the key was shorting the wires in my steering column.i was blowing fuses,causing lots weird stuff.pulled the steering column apart.fixed bare wires and got rid of that push button.you obviously have a problem in the column.check all your wires top to bottom.good luck.

Old 04-11-2009, 04:23 AM
81-F-150-Explorer
Post Fiend
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by fordtruckman80
What do you mean by a tang?

And ignition switch?Great.Is there any way I can test it to see if it's worn out?And if it's misadjusted,is there any way that I can readjust it?Thanks for the help.

It's basicly a eye connection where a bolt goes through. Simular to the one on the starter solenoid. Difference is the insulation is cut around the cable, and the eye connection is crimped around the cable leaving a place where you can bolt it to the frame.

Checking the ignition switch, check movement of the lock cylinder, and rod, is it nice and smooth, or does it bind? Is there any resistance trying to turn the switch to the start position? There should be some resistance from the spring in the ignition switch, but not so much as to make it hard to turn. Also does the switch spring back to the run position like it should, or do you have to move the switch back to the run position to get the radio and turn signals to work?

As for adjusting the ignition switch, you have to lower the column to reach it. Loosen the attaching screws and slightly move it lower or higher on the column relative to the lock cylinder rod. It may be wise to just get a replacement ignition switch at the same time. And instructions come with some ignition switches.

Old 04-11-2009, 12:13 PM
Fordzilla80
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 81-F-150-Explorer
It's basicly a eye connection where a bolt goes through. Simular to the one on the starter solenoid. Difference is the insulation is cut around the cable, and the eye connection is crimped around the cable leaving a place where you can bolt it to the frame.

Checking the ignition switch, check movement of the lock cylinder, and rod, is it nice and smooth, or does it bind? Is there any resistance trying to turn the switch to the start position? There should be some resistance from the spring in the ignition switch, but not so much as to make it hard to turn. Also does the switch spring back to the run position like it should, or do you have to move the switch back to the run position to get the radio and turn signals to work?

As for adjusting the ignition switch, you have to lower the column to reach it. Loosen the attaching screws and slightly move it lower or higher on the column relative to the lock cylinder rod. It may be wise to just get a replacement ignition switch at the same time. And instructions come with some ignition switches.

Oh okay I get it.

As far as the ignition switch,the lock cylinder and rod work very smoothly,and there is no binding.There is no resistance aside from the resistance by the spring.It isn't hard to turn the key either.The switch springs back,but i've never tried to see if it goes all the way back to run.I'll try that later today and post the results.I'm out at a buddy's house right now workin on his truck,so when I get home i'll check it and get back to ya.Thanks for all the help.

Old 06-06-2016, 08:20 AM
Jagesage
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post up some pictures of under the hood and some of the wiring from the battery and so on, so we can try to help you with your issue. It's hard to picture something from words. Most of us work better by looking at it. And kudos to being 16 and not afraid to jump under the hood of an old truck