Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Help my truck run correctly.

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 01:55 AM
bigtimebubba
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help my truck run correctly.

I bought a used early 99 about a year ago now. It has never really felt right in terms of driving it but this is my first diesel and thought that all diesels were like this.
After riding in a newer 6.0, my truck drives and feels sooo much worse.
The problems

1.The truck seems to idle and ride smoother right when I start it and as it gets warm the idle gets more lopy. The idle is pretty rough, I have been told that it is a failing injector #8. It shakes like like it has an agressive cam in it. Its the best way I can describe it. Anyway to check if the injector is indeed faulty?

2. I know diesels smoke, but I think mine really does. Anytime I'm going over 40 I can't touch the pedal without throwing a considerable amount of black smoke out the exhaust. If I really get into it, it will spew black smoke and then once the turbo finally starts spinning the smoke tapers off.Is this normal, or how do I fix this?

3. I've owned turbo cars before and I know of turbo lag and turbo noise, but I think my truck is different. There is a constant whooshing/hissing sound when the turbo spools. It is very loud, much louder than the engine. I have only hit 22psi once in boost and that was when I floored it, the ses light came on and that was it. I pulled over and restarted the truck to clear the light. I have a DP chip that I run almost exclusively on 80e. Shouldn't the boost be higher than this? It takes a long time to actually get up to this max boost level, is this just the turbo lag or could it be some sort of leak, and where should I check?

4. The truck shakes around 40-45mph. It sounds like a miss once again and it only does it when I'm about 25% throttle. If I let off the predal the shake goes away, similarly if I put my foot more into it the shaking goes away also. Is this tied to the faulty injector?

Thank you for the help. I have a love/hate relationship with this truck. I absolutely love all of the things this truck is capapble of, but I hate the fact that it feels like I'm in one of the worst running vehicles ever. I can't imagine all diesel trucks are like this, I doubt people would volunteer to roadtrip let alone tow in something like this

Help me get this truck running properly.

Thanks

Bubba

Old 03-31-2009, 05:34 AM
just another truck
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bigtimebubba
I bought a used early 99 about a year ago now. It has never really felt right in terms of driving it but this is my first diesel and thought that all diesels were like this.
After riding in a newer 6.0, my truck drives and feels sooo much worse.
The problems

1.The truck seems to idle and ride smoother right when I start it and as it gets warm the idle gets more lopy. The idle is pretty rough, I have been told that it is a failing injector #8. It shakes like like it has an agressive cam in it. Its the best way I can describe it. Anyway to check if the injector is indeed faulty?

2. I know diesels smoke, but I think mine really does. Anytime I'm going over 40 I can't touch the pedal without throwing a considerable amount of black smoke out the exhaust. If I really get into it, it will spew black smoke and then once the turbo finally starts spinning the smoke tapers off.Is this normal, or how do I fix this?

3. I've owned turbo cars before and I know of turbo lag and turbo noise, but I think my truck is different. There is a constant whooshing/hissing sound when the turbo spools. It is very loud, much louder than the engine. I have only hit 22psi once in boost and that was when I floored it, the ses light came on and that was it. I pulled over and restarted the truck to clear the light. I have a DP chip that I run almost exclusively on 80e. Shouldn't the boost be higher than this? It takes a long time to actually get up to this max boost level, is this just the turbo lag or could it be some sort of leak, and where should I check?

4. The truck shakes around 40-45mph. It sounds like a miss once again and it only does it when I'm about 25% throttle. If I let off the predal the shake goes away, similarly if I put my foot more into it the shaking goes away also. Is this tied to the faulty injector?

Thank you for the help. I have a love/hate relationship with this truck. I absolutely love all of the things this truck is capapble of, but I hate the fact that it feels like I'm in one of the worst running vehicles ever. I can't imagine all diesel trucks are like this, I doubt people would volunteer to roadtrip let alone tow in something like this

Help me get this truck running properly.

Thanks

Bubba
Good Morning Bubba, welcome to FTE..

What do you know about the truck, such as who had it before you, are there any modifications on the truck? I believe you have said from the time you got it, it has ran this way?

To #1, yes, you can do all osrts of things to test for a faulty injector, But you will need a laptop and AE for the test. WHere are you located?

#2, THis is just a guess, but I am thinking that #1 and #2 are related, this is why I asked about any modifications done to the truck, such as a tuner, or injectors, ect.

Found it.. # 3 this is your black smoke!!!! And the Turbo spooling up and all of that is related to this here. What type of Air intake do you have, it will add to your turbo whoosh, this is also normall . As far as looking for leaks, look at all of you intercooler boot connections for dirt and what not, this is normally a sign of a leak. IF you are to repair this, clean it up and spray hair spary on the pipes before reconnection.

Now as far as shakin, I dont know what to think, and am backing out for the experts to jump in..

Good Luck with her!!

Old 03-31-2009, 06:49 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 844 Likes on 642 Posts
Bubba, where do you live?
Somebody here on FTE might be able to take a look (ride) in your truck with an experienced eye and get you on a good start.
And Pat is right on #3. The DP tuner will make gobs of smoke.
Since it is running badly, (rough idle) I recommend for diagnostic purposes to remove the chip.
It from your description it sounds to me like your injectors are getting worn out and they are not firing unless you really step on the go-pedal.

Old 03-31-2009, 06:58 AM
just another truck
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
1 out of 3 aint bad.......

Old 03-31-2009, 10:27 AM
robs01f250
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
where are you located at. Someone on here is probably relatively close wiuth an AE

Old 03-31-2009, 11:12 AM
bigtimebubba
Senior User
I'm in Utah.
I have done a DP tuner the 6637 filter and I just installed a HPX SS yesterday. I was hoping that this would help, but it does sound like from y'all like the #8 injector is really a possiblilty and probability.
I purchased the truck from a pre-owned dealer here in Utah that specializes in diesel trucks. They are very reputable, they do a lot of business and seem to sell great trucks, but being my first diesel I didn't know really what to expect.

Thank you for all of the replies

Old 03-31-2009, 07:01 PM
bigtimebubba
Senior User
Bump for some more help

Trending Topics

Old 03-31-2009, 07:24 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Just because they sell a lot of diesel trucks does not mean they know how to diagnose or fix them. The 6637 and the turbo wheel in the early 99 will make the noises much more noticeable than a stock configuration on the later models.

Running good on a cold engine and poorly on a hot engine means the first thing you need to do is make sure the engine oil is full and not due for a change. What brand and weight of oil are you running?

If you can't find someone close by with a scanner, you could probably buy your own AE scanner and do the whatever work yourself cheaper than the dealer would charge you for the work. Checking the injectors and the IPR would be a good place to start. If you're looking for things to try in the mean time you might try pulling the IPR and inspecting it, and go ahead and change the o-rings on it.

Old 03-31-2009, 08:56 PM
hgoody77
Senior User
if this is any count, I just got a 99 as well. had some issues, rough idle and this and that, well took it to a shop and they replaced a few things, well still same rough idle, turns i i just happen to take the chip out, and man, nice and smooth, i had the TSperformance 6 way chip.
So i second that, pull the chip and see how she does.