Sponsored by:

Tow Mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 10:38 AM
cldomson1
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tow Mirrors

Which tow mirrors look best and are easily installed on my EX??

2002 Limited with regular mirrors with built in turn signals/heat/power.

I'd like some chrome ones and the newest and the best. Will 2008 superduty mirrors fit?

Anyone with tips to install, pictures, links to cheapest place to buy them?

Thanks,
Charlie

Old 03-25-2009, 11:14 AM
afreemanmd
Elder User
All of the superduty mirrors are interchangeable physically, although you may have to redo some of the wiring.

These may help
New Mirrors
New Mirror installation

Old 03-25-2009, 03:47 PM
VaSheriff
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
IMHO, the 2008 Super Duty truck mirrors look extremely bad on an

Excursion. or a F250/F350 for that matter! They're just too big and bulky.

Look like a large square wart on a elephant....

Old 03-25-2009, 04:11 PM
afreemanmd
Elder User
Old 03-25-2009, 04:27 PM
jsimon724
Elder User
Personally,I like the '08 mirrors in black. The chrome ones look like s#!t (IMO). On the '08's, the chrome only covers the top 1/2 of the mirror and looks kinda like an afterthought.
Now I've got factory chrome mirrors on my '06 and think they look great. I say if you want chrome, get the '05-'07 (mine have power, heat and signals). If you want the '08's, get black. My $.02.

Old 03-25-2009, 07:42 PM
wallz
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Like the others have said, anything up to the 08 will fit. Basically bolt up.(on 08 small stub to grind off) With the 08 mirrors just a matter of matching the wiring, as plugs are different, or you can go the pricey route, with power fold and extend option, and add a few switches and some wiring. I found adding the wiring easier than having to splice into turn and lights when I added my 08 mirrors. Stock only had power and heat.

Old 03-25-2009, 08:05 PM
cldomson1
Senior User
Originally Posted by jsimon724
Personally,I like the '08 mirrors in black. The chrome ones look like s#!t (IMO). On the '08's, the chrome only covers the top 1/2 of the mirror and looks kinda like an afterthought.
Now I've got factory chrome mirrors on my '06 and think they look great. I say if you want chrome, get the '05-'07 (mine have power, heat and signals). If you want the '08's, get black. My $.02.

Any pics of the 07 Chrome mirrors? I don't like the square 08s now that I've seen them.

Old 03-25-2009, 09:14 PM
SARGE/AF
Senior User
I like the mirrors that are on mine, I just wish they had the power fold and extend feature. Comes in real handy when in tight situations and you need to retract or fold back without stopping.
If I remember the 07 look just like what is on my 05 but had that power extend/fold feature.
Does anyone know?
Sarge

Old 03-25-2009, 10:12 PM
wallz
Postmaster
Originally Posted by SARGE/AF
I like the mirrors that are on mine, I just wish they had the power fold and extend feature. Comes in real handy when in tight situations and you need to retract or fold back without stopping.
If I remember the 07 look just like what is on my 05 but had that power extend/fold feature.
Does anyone know?
Sarge
Up to 08 model, only option was manual fold and extend.

Old 03-25-2009, 10:57 PM
afreemanmd
Elder User
Just a suggestion to make the wiring easier. Take the plug off your old mirrors and do the splices between the plug and the new mirrors (you'll have to cut off the plug they come with). That way, you'll be able to do most of the soldering/shrink wrapping on your work bench instead of some awkward position inside the door. It also means that the stock wiring harness will stay intact, which may be helpful if you ever want to sell the truck or redo the mirrors in the future.

Just my $.02

Old 03-25-2009, 11:39 PM
wallz
Postmaster
Originally Posted by afreemanmd
Just a suggestion to make the wiring easier. Take the plug off your old mirrors and do the splices between the plug and the new mirrors (you'll have to cut off the plug they come with). That way, you'll be able to do most of the soldering/shrink wrapping on your work bench instead of some awkward position inside the door. It also means that the stock wiring harness will stay intact, which may be helpful if you ever want to sell the truck or redo the mirrors in the future.

Just my $.02
First, sorry to the op, I feel like I took over here.

I found that taking apart the 08 plug was easier and kept stock wiring plugs. If I ever feel the need to sell, it will be a 10 min job to remove the 08 mirrors and bolt back my stock wimpy mirrors and plug everything back in. They are just too expensive to leave on, plus it would give another excuse to stay FORD.

Old 03-28-2009, 09:53 AM
SARGE/AF
Senior User
Did you have to additional wiring to make the extend/fold work or is the wiring already existing to make these work? What did you do about the switch in the door?

Sarge

Old 03-28-2009, 03:36 PM
wallz
Postmaster
Originally Posted by SARGE/AF
Did you have to additional wiring to make the extend/fold work or is the wiring already existing to make these work? What did you do about the switch in the door?

Sarge
First you need to have the mirrors with the fold and extend power option in them. They have the motors somewhere in the arms.
Yes, new wiring is added. 2 wires per mirror for fold, and 2 per for extend. I bought some of the 4 wire trailer and strung that together from each mirror to the new switches. I put switches under the light switch, were most put extra switches. The only thing you need in switches is momentary on/off/on.
They are also reverse polarity, meaning on same wire they run current the other way to fold in than out. No biggy, if you can't find that in the switch, just add some cross over wires on switch from one side of on to other. I hope that is clear as mud. If you need more info please ask.

Old 03-28-2009, 04:32 PM
da X-man
Elder User
I bookmarked this to help me with this subject. The reason I say this is because I think you can use the stock switch in the door, but the horizontal directions are backwards (right turns mirror left and left turns mirror right). This shows how to change it.

Old 03-28-2009, 06:40 PM
wallz
Postmaster
Originally Posted by da X-man
I bookmarked this to help me with this subject. The reason I say this is because I think you can use the stock switch in the door, but the horizontal directions are backwards (right turns mirror left and left turns mirror right). This shows how to change it.
Yes, the power adjust switch that is stock is usable, you just need to fix the wiring in the mirror housing. There is a fix on fte that someone has already figured out and posted. It does work. When I did mine I fixed it on the bench before I mounted and pulled things apart a little differently. The power fold and extend need a new switch because those functions did not come on our trucks. The switch on the door in the 08 can not be used.

Quick Reply: Tow Mirrors