Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

adrenaline installed! and the rest of the story

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 08:07 AM
bfife
still plays with trucks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Chris, SOTP feeling with Bill"s tunes is awsome. the truck is very smooth and just pulls and pulls. with Jody's tunes it always felt kinda like a 2 stroke bike. By that I mean pipey, you had to hit the power band and then it pulled. that feeling is all gone. now it just goes.

More info in my truck clean fuel filter, 60-65 psi at WOT, Tymar filter with Big Boost AFE, 5 in exhaust DFA CCK fuel mods

Old 03-25-2009, 08:46 AM
Groovy Chick
Former Vendor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Barney,

That sounds awesome! Glad we could make you smile. Bill definitely wants to get a second look at the high hp program. The biggest reason the pressure is dropping is because of the pulse width; he definitely needs to readdress that (that came directly from Bill -- I don't pretend to know what I'm talking about -- now, you wanna talk F-150s? I am SO there. )

Bob mentioned you'd be swinging down this direction in a few weeks. If for some reason your plans change, no worries! Bill (and maybe the boys and I!) will be going out to Washington in July for Dynomite's Grand Opening of their new shop and Dyno Day. He will be arriving a few days early so that he can live tune some customers' trucks (this ISN'T part of Dynomite's weekend -- it's a PHP thing).

Old 03-25-2009, 08:58 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 792 Likes on 604 Posts
This is the first time I have ever heard that somebody elses chip works better that a DP.

Old 03-25-2009, 09:52 AM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by bfife
Pocket, the system seems tight. 10-11% duty cycle at idle. The way it was explained to me was you can only keep a stock injector open for so long. If the injector is commanded open any longer it just becomes a big oil leak as the plunger is already down and has no more fuel to push. the higher HP tunes have the larger PW. as soon as Fuel PW goes over 3.5ms it seems to drop pressure. I could have gone with a Pulse, or Stealth or Terminator and it would have give me way more oil than I than I needed. and rightly so, a 2000.00 oil pump should work better than a 500 oil pump. But I also would have never seen the difference in tuning either. I may have a job coming up in Georgia for the next 4-6 months and if thats the case, I'll just have Bill custom tune the truck. I will be leaving Idaho April 1 headed for Colorado Springs and then up tp Rapid City SD so I'll have 12-1300 miles of towing on the set up and I'll be able to post some mileage numbers then.

stock injectors,stock turbo
Even still, with the Adrenaline you are dropping more pressure than you should. Back when I had my bone stock HPOP I was maintaining 2100-2200 psi of ICP in the 120 hp race tune, which had more pulsewidth than Jody's 80E tune.

That's why I figured something was wrong. Bob has been doing a lot of testing with the Adrenaline and AFAIK yours is the first pump to be losing pressure like this. Your numbers at idle may be fine, but I'm just curious if there is something else happening that's causing this issue like a bad injector o-ring or an injector pissing oil out.

As for custom tuning, yes Bill can make adjustments to try and keep ICP higher. Still it doesn't address what's really happening, and is potentially only a bandaid fix if there is in fact something else wrong.

This is the first time I have ever heard that somebody elses chip works better that a DP.
It happens Dan. Bill, Tony, Jody, David, and others have done quite a bit with their tuning. Every customer has their own preferences, and sometimes they like the tuning styles that a different person puts into the programs. That's why I did live tuning on my truck. I liked Jody's standard tunes, but they didn't quite match up to the way I really wanted my truck to drive. He made a lot of changes to my programs and they vary quite a bit from the original tunes. I think being a tuner is one of the hardest jobs to have in the PSD world, because so many customers have such different trucks and different driving styles. It's impossible to find a "one shoe fits all" tune.

Old 03-25-2009, 10:52 AM
F250_
Hotshot
Received 203 Likes on 108 Posts
Originally Posted by Pocket
..... Bill, Tony, Jody, David, and others have done quite a bit with their tuning. Every customer has their own preferences, and sometimes they like the tuning styles that a different person puts into the programs. That's why I did live tuning on my truck. I liked Jody's standard tunes, but they didn't quite match up to the way I really wanted my truck to drive. He made a lot of changes to my programs and they vary quite a bit from the original tunes. I think being a tuner is one of the hardest jobs to have in the PSD world, because so many customers have such different trucks and different driving styles. It's impossible to find a "one shoe fits all" tune.
Well-stated, Curtis. Takes nothing away from any, gives credit to all, and I have personally reached that same conclusion just from watching on the sidelines for the past couple of years.

Old 03-25-2009, 11:02 AM
jwhitetail
Posting Guru
Shot through the heart, it does'nt sound like it is up to par, you should not have to do this, do that to make it work. NA!

Old 03-25-2009, 12:00 PM
MiamiPSD
Tuned
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
What a bummer............Was saving for one.

Old 03-25-2009, 12:14 PM
jeff7825
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by F350-6
I wonder if Jody will need to reburn chips for the new HPOP?

This is the question that has been in my head since first hearing about the adrenaline.

Old 03-25-2009, 12:53 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bfife
Cookie, stock injectors. Chris, stock pump numbers averaged 100 psi lower with the DP tunes. Thats why I was convinced I had a weak pump. now I'm not so sure. I'm all ears as to where the rest of my pressure is going. as a side note. no chip at all gave me these numbers Fuel PW 3.2 IPR duty cycle 35% 2750 psi
Barney
With no chip and stock injectors 2750 seems iffy to me.

Originally Posted by miller_feed
Waiting on Scott to give us his numbers.
I know, I know. As long as I don't get laid of on Friday I'll definitely have it done Saturday. Actually, I'll do it Saturday even if I do get laid off. It's paid for.

I do have a question.....Where in the system is the pop off valve? The IPR regulates the pressure, up to 4000 psi where the book says there is a mechanical pop off valve there to protect the injectors. Is the pop off valve part of the pump, or is it built into the front cover, or the engine, or what? I keep re-reading Barney's post and I just keep thinking something is bleeding off way too much pressure.

What if a poppet in an injector was stuck open and the HPO was pumping straight through? Could that do it? A buzz test would find that right?

Old 03-25-2009, 01:03 PM
Groovy Chick
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Kwikkordead
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...22&postcount=9

Another one

A pretty cool thread with dyno results, too!

Old 03-25-2009, 01:13 PM
megawatt00
Hotshot
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Not to take anything from anyone here but how old were your tunes Barney? I'm glad that your happy with the PHP but if the tunes on that were "newer" and the DP had an "older" set of tunes would that make a difference?

Old 03-25-2009, 01:40 PM
bfife
still plays with trucks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
okay okay, I' ve been busy beating my head against a 6.0. so i missed all this. I agree with Pete and Curtis, tuners all have their styles. And I'm Not Throwing Rocks at Anybody! I believe the pump will put out 4000 PSI and i think if you've got jody's tunes and like them, thats great. What I believe I'm fighting is the fact that my truck is an F550 and nobody and I mean nobody has my computer code in their data base. I've fought this battle before. Ford factory settings limit my HPOP to 2750 period. F250 or 350 are different. If you drive a "little" truck you should have no issues at all. The Adrenaline will put out what ever your demand is if your computer will let it.
Curtis the injector buzz test comes up fine and cylinder contribution comes up very good.
Corey, thanks for the offer. but I'm pretty sure I'll be in the Atlanta area so we should be able to touch base there. Tell Bill THANK YOU for the prompt service.

Barney

Old 03-25-2009, 02:14 PM
megawatt00
Hotshot
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sorry if that sounded off Barney. I was just asking out of my curiosity, wondering if there was a difference from some years on the tunes.
Thanks for posting all of this info for us.

Old 03-25-2009, 03:02 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 792 Likes on 604 Posts
F550 is a VXY2 tune. F550 specific.

Old 03-25-2009, 03:21 PM
papadelogan
Snowboard season cometh..

Sometimes being unique isn't so great.... mine will hopefully be in this weekend. I may be running up to South Dakota too, a nice little break-in run! LOL

Quick Reply: adrenaline installed! and the rest of the story