Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V10 starting issues and more? Please help.

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 08:26 AM
kickinshos
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
V10 starting issues and more? Please help.

Hello, I posted this in the V10 section but have gotten no replies yet. I also tried searching this with not too much luck. Any help is greatly appreciated! Here it goes.................

I was sick for a week, 2001 Excursion V-10 with 110k sat for the same amount of time. First day I go to start it and it sounds as if it's flooded. After a couple of tries, I put gas pedal to floor and she starts, roughly, with a ton of white smoke coming out of her as well. After she clears up it runs fine the rest of the day. Next day, run a few errands, come home and park it in the driveway. An hour later go to move her and she turns over extremely fast with no start. It did this a few different times. Look under hood, decides it needs a quart of oil, she starts like new. Today, starts once, ran great. Second time I need to go somewhere, turns over really really fast with no start.

This morning after she started normally, my husband took her over to Autozone and they ran the OBD on her and there were no codes.

Anyone have any idea on what could be going on? What I should do maybe?

We don't know a lot about her as we have only put about 6k on her in a little under a year. That is all the longer we have owned this X as well.

Please help me as I absolutely love this truck and want to figure out what she needs to have done.

Thanks a million!!!!

Kris (thanking God for decent weather so I can drive my track car for now) <!-- / message --><!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: ad_showthread_firstpost_sig --><!-- END TEMPLATE: ad_showthread_firstpost_sig --><!-- sig -->

Old 03-23-2009, 01:56 PM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Well...the low oil and the starting issue are completely unrelated and I would caulk that up to a coincidence.

There are a number things to check. But first I would check...

1. The fuel filter.

2. The fuel pump and associated relays.

3. Fuel pressure regulator.

I say this because you started it with it floored.

Also...all that smoke at start up was due to excess fuel in the cylinders when it did fire up. Sounds like it could have been a no spark condition. Given its low usage I would inspect an intermittent ground.

Old 03-23-2009, 02:03 PM
kickinshos
Junior User
Ken,

Thank you, thank you, thank you, for a reply. My husband did say something about the fuel.

We will for sure be checking this out and I will post back on what we found.

And again, thank you!

Old 03-23-2009, 08:47 PM
Bananarama
Tuned
survey said?

Old 03-23-2009, 09:24 PM
kickinshos
Junior User
We tried a new fuel filter, no go. Tried starting it with the gas pedal down 1/2 to 1 inch, no go.

Will try to figure out other things on list as mentioned above, tomorrow. Too late, too dark, and too cold out there now.

Will post more as we have more.

Thanks....

Old 03-24-2009, 09:31 AM
gt5-33
Senior User
Starting Problems

New to these engines but I would wonder about the "white smoke" not being related to fuel flooding. The other condition of turning over faster than normal with no start kind of sounds like the time I was programming keys and did not get it right the first time. Then engine turned over real fast with no start. Be sure to let us know what caused the problem. Sorry not much help. Tom

Old 03-24-2009, 09:51 PM
egalaxie
Freshman User
I always thought a fuel pump goes out all at once, but my excursion V10 did the same thing, sometimes it started and ran fine sometimes it didnt, it was a bad fuel pump, sometimes it worked sometimes it didnt and wouldnt start, go out an hour later and it would start. Replaced the fuel pump a few months ago and no problems since

Old 03-25-2009, 10:28 AM
jesterdog
Senior User
Originally Posted by egalaxie
I always thought a fuel pump goes out all at once, but my excursion V10 did the same thing, sometimes it started and ran fine sometimes it didnt, it was a bad fuel pump, sometimes it worked sometimes it didnt and wouldnt start, go out an hour later and it would start. Replaced the fuel pump a few months ago and no problems since
Same here. Also, sometimes I would get it to start but it would be barely running. After revving it a few times it would clear up. It was intermittent. At first I thought it was related to cold weather, but then it just wouldn't start anymore.

Fuel pump was bad. 2001 X with 94k.

Old 03-25-2009, 10:40 AM
howler4x4
More Turbo

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm not near my Ex... but other Ford fuel injection systems I've seen have a Schrader valve.

When it won't start, check for fuel: use a rag to capture the excess, push the valve stem down.

Gas comes out under pressure = good fuel delivery to the rail. Look for another problem.

No gas = fuel delivery problem.

Next check downstream; filter, bad lines, clog, low actual fuel level.

Rubber fuel lines with a internal rip can cause intermittant problems.

HTH, good luck

Old 03-25-2009, 12:34 PM
kickinshos
Junior User
Thanks for all the suggestions guys! It seems as if it is starting to look like the PATS module has de-programed itself due to the remote start system.

Remote was installed "professionally" back in October and has worked flawlessly. A few days ago is when everything started showing problems.

None of my keys work, not even disconnecting the remote system will let it start.

This might need to be hauled to the dealer for reprogramming. I am waiting to find out what my husband found out about it all. He was going to be talking to the installer and then the dealer.

Old 03-25-2009, 01:27 PM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Ah! That was my next thought! I think your thread in the V10 forum had a poster mention that as well. Aftermarket stuff can sometimes wreak havoc on the electronics of the truck.

Old 03-25-2009, 08:14 PM
kickinshos
Junior User
We made the appointment to have the dealer reprogram the PATS system. Andy (my husband) decided he would check the wiring in all areas again and found a connection that was hanging there, not together anymore. He connected the two wires and the truck started right up. He did say it looked like the remote starter installer may not have sodered the connection completely.

At the least the truck starts and the keys all work. Now, to get the installer to fix the wires properly and get the remote start working again....

I am so happy I got my truck back!!!!!!!!

Old 03-26-2009, 03:54 PM
APEXDUCK
Cross-Country
I own a 99 F250SD with a V10 that was doing the same thing. Tried all the obvious stuff and still had the problem. Took it to the Ford shop and it was the mass air flow sensor. Try taking yours off and clean it real good. Most auto parts stores has a special cleaner for this for under $5. At least worth a try before taking into a shop.

APEXDUCK