1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Any paint guru's?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 08:24 PM
97biostroke
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any paint guru's?

After 12 years of abuse the stroker's got alot of scratches and imperfections in the paint. Some are pretty deep, but alot of them are just scratches in the clear coat that should buff out. Anyone know what products to use to buff it up? I know it wont make it look new, but a little TLC should make it shine pretty good. I've heard of using the clay bar treatment, just not sure where to find it and what exactly I'm looking for. I've only got one class tomorrow ( ) and not sure what works going to be like so I might have some time on my hands that could be well spent on my truck. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Old 03-18-2009, 09:51 PM
Gobstopper909
Elder User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i had a few scratches that i made dissapear with this turtlewax compound it hides scratches and is safe for your clear coat. after, just wax it and shell shine good luck

Old 03-18-2009, 11:07 PM
MustangMatt96GT
Posting Guru
clay bars FTW

they take all the nasty contaminates off the paint. but it does take some time to do, especally a truck of our size. You can pick them up at any auto parts store basically, but after you do that, i would use a polishing compound, a glazing, and then a wax... used to keep my mustang really nice, now well its not so taken care of, still has leaves and **** on it from this winter on it inside the trailer.

Old 03-19-2009, 12:45 AM
97 HD
Elder User
I use colored polish from turtle wax to hide scratches, nicks, and dings.
Link here Turtle Wax - Color Magic Car Polish Just use the one thats closest to your trucks color. I've used the black on this truck and the red on my ranger, works great! Most parts stores have it, and maybe wal mart.

Old 03-19-2009, 01:04 AM
kawa
Postmaster
X2 on the colored Turtle wax, It also has a color stick that comes with it (Like a lip Stick tube) that is an aid in filling in nicks and scratches. Used it on my Harley. Good stuff.

Rog

Old 03-19-2009, 09:18 PM
97biostroke
Senior User
Thanks for the link guys. I've never heard of anything like that but I'll probably go check it out. I got the clay bar since i have an ever so slight amount of overspray on my paintjob from paintin the frame. You cant see it, only feel it. I masked off one side at a time on breezy day but a lil still managed to stick. I'll probably follow it up with the turtle wax stuff, looks like a good product.

Old 03-20-2009, 12:56 AM
97 HD
Elder User
sounds like a plan. I like to use the clay bar to remove over spray and water spots and other contaminants, then hide scratches with the turtlewax color polish, then follow up with a good coat of wax. then a final wipe down with quick detailer.