Kansas Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: Flip4ford

What did you do to your truck today..

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2014, 03:54 PM
Flip4ford
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 105 Likes on 99 Posts
Cleaned some on her garage- Emptied the water from the compressor-- and did some shopping-- great productive day!

Old 05-28-2014, 06:57 AM
Flip4ford
FTE Chapter Leader
So after some breif discussion with dad and Clint I decided to change my spark plugs to champion and gap them to around 45. Simple right? So I go to my local Orileys to get some plugs-- long line at the counter- after a 15minute wait-- blah I left- went over to Auto Zone-- the didn't have the plugs I wanted but had them in Autolite-- uuugh I had those already-- but wait there is a subbed part number-- ok we have the sub number in stock ok I'll take 8- so i get home open all the plugs and gap them to 45-- get the socket-- Hmmm the plug is too small for my trusty plug socket--- hmmmm - Pull the old plug and yep they are different sizes- the Sub part number is all wrong-- I go back to AZ and sarcastically ask for a "plug adapter since these do not fit" and the idiot behind the counter starts looking in his computer for one! UUUUgggh! - I tell him I want my money back and he has to open each box and "inspect " each plug. Then he complains that 2 boxes are ripped open-- after almost 2 hours from the start time I noticew that my old plug was a champion in the first place-- checked the gap and it was 45--- what a wasted evening!

Old 05-28-2014, 10:14 PM
74 bronco
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You were supose to get rid of the champion nd get autolite.

Old 05-28-2014, 10:57 PM
itsabullitt
Fleet Mechanic
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by 74 bronco
You were supose to get rid of the champion nd get autolite.

Did anybody else get a mental image of Chad hurling a spark plug?

Sorry to hear about your day Chad. Mine was similar, but productive. Clint and I changed out the driver side header gasket thinking my ticking might have been an exhaust leak. Still ticks. Clint decided to yank the valve cover to take a look and found the culprit. Tightened up the loose rocker arm lock nut and no more tick tick. I promised to not spin it so high next time to the dunes.

Old 05-29-2014, 01:06 AM
Flip4ford
FTE Chapter Leader
Awesome Garret!!!!!!

Old 05-29-2014, 06:45 AM
Garden Spyder
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts
Garrett, you should never promise things like that.. LOL!

Old 05-29-2014, 09:30 PM
smokenchoken
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well i am officially a ford only owner sold my last non ford item 76 chebby 1/2 ton i have had since 2006 now i can afford more ford go fast parts lol

Old 05-30-2014, 10:03 PM
itsabullitt
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Garden Spyder
Garrett, you should never promise things like that.. LOL!

Once I get the 6AL box installed I can set the rev limiter to keep me under 6500. Then I can just drive full throttle all the time, right?

Old 05-30-2014, 10:05 PM
itsabullitt
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by smokenchoken
well i am officially a ford only owner sold my last non ford item 76 chebby 1/2 ton i have had since 2006 now i can afford more ford go fast parts lol

Good news. I'd do the same, but I wouldn't get enough out of my chebby to get the f100 back on the road.

Old 06-04-2014, 08:48 AM
78 & 87 Super Cab
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had to go buy a reman water pump for My '59 yesterday as the original one had developed some light bladder leakage from the weep hole after I put new anti freeze in it. O' Reilly showed one, but when I went up to order it, they said it was not available to them, and they had to send Mine in for rebuild. I didn't bother going next door to Auto Stoned, as the one here has a bunch of morons that don't $--t. Checked NAPA online, and they showed one in stock. Reserved it online, and picked it up for $38.99.

Old 06-04-2014, 09:15 PM
smokenchoken
Posting Guru
i got new shocks for the first time in my life (and my 66's life apparently) and holy underwear batman totally different feeling on gravel roads now... also new plugs and wires points, condenser, and a new CD for the drive home the other day.... my 66 has been thankful for the new job she relaxes at home next to her buddy (the blue trailer) and gets new parts every payday lol

Old 06-05-2014, 07:57 AM
82'Stepside
Cargo Master
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by smokenchoken
i got new shocks for the first time in my life (and my 66's life apparently) and holy underwear batman totally different feeling on gravel roads now... also new plugs and wires points, condenser, and a new CD for the drive home the other day.... my 66 has been thankful for the new job she relaxes at home next to her buddy (the blue trailer) and gets new parts every payday lol
Its a great feeling putting new parts on old rides

I've been ordering about 1 part a week from Amazon for my CJ. The test drives afterwards are the best when it's riding\driving\running nicer and even looking better! I told my wife that at this rate we'll have a brand new vehicle by this time next year, piece by piece!

Old 06-05-2014, 03:50 PM
Flip4ford
FTE Chapter Leader
HA HA HA! Took me a year to get my '63 to "new" status--- now I am going for a "new " motor :-)

Old 06-05-2014, 09:59 PM
smokenchoken
Posting Guru
well got the day off of work due to the storms so i went to the shop to work on my 78 had to remove motor mount bolts and drop the pan while lifting the motor with my chain hoist and got about a 2" gap which was more than enough to partially drop the oil pump far enough to get the oil pump drive rod into the hole where it belongs not off to the side.....(never trust a chevy mechanic to put a ford motor together and not check everything out yourself afterwards) apparently he just threw the oil pump on with the drive rod and never looked to make sure it was in the right place and i trusted him like a dummy and had only made it a mile before it made a funny noise enough for me to stop and check it out i am gonna kick myself in the @$$ so hard if it has screwed this motor up it will be the third cursed 460 (around $1000 between the 3)to be put in this truck hell i could have had my 390 motor and trans rebuilt and never had an issue but for some reason every 460 i get in this 78 decides it is time to die ..... but i did get it fired up only for a minute before fuel bowl emptied out of gas so i at least know it starts i am just hoping there was enough miles on those bearings that they didn't decide to seize and start spinning but i won't know till i get another day off work and a little money to take 5 gallons of gas and a new battery up there to play with.....so how was your day fellas?

Old 06-08-2014, 05:50 PM
smokenchoken
Posting Guru
well da twister lived up to her name again fired up the truck this morning and 0 oil pressure so i pulled the dizzy and fished out the oil pump drive rod... this is 3rd time its done this at least im used to looking at my oil pressure gauges all the time.... gotta wait till tuesday before i can get a replacement one http://www.uscconlinealbum.com/lifec...?th=450&tw=610 http://www.uscconlinealbum.com/lifec...?th=450&tw=610 ........ i do not like not being able to drop my pics like im ued too

Quick Reply: What did you do to your truck today..