1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mysterious Pull to Right, Need Bigtime Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 01:44 AM
SneakyF350
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Mysterious Pull to Right, Need Bigtime Help!!!

Problem:
If you hold the steering wheel straight, the truck drives straight. If you let go, the steering wheel turns to the right on its own and the truck moves to the right toward the shoulder.
Background Story (sorry so long):
I had a set of 305/65/18 BFG AT KO installed on my factory 18 in aluminum wheels at a large chain tire store. I had them replace the first set they tried due to severe balance issues. The second set balanced better but had a significant tire pull to the right. I had them replace the tires again. The pull did not change. I had my dealership align the truck. The pull was a little less but still there. I began to replay the visits to the tire shop in my head to consider possible damage they may have done. I thought about how they used two floor jacks to raise the front. On each side, they placed the floor jack cup under the axle bracket on that half-circle-looking part below the lower of the two horizontal bolts that connect the axle bracket to the radius arm. In other words, on the front, they placed a jack under the point closest to the ground on each front radius arm axle bracket, not under the axle itself as they have done on all my other Superduties. Sorry, I don’t know a technical name for this axle bracket part. They raised one side of the front and then the other with the jacks. Is it possible jacking there bent a radius arm or even my frame causing this pull?
Any suggestions on diagnosing the pull? I’m worried I now have a bungled up truck!

Old 03-18-2009, 06:10 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
I don't think the jack placement has anything to do with it. Have you yourself just tried to rotate your tires?

You might want to consider taking it to a truck alignment shop or a shop that can properly do alignments on truck with lift kits and oversized tires. That might help.

Old 03-18-2009, 06:58 AM
meanv10
Elder User
I would check to see If the U joint is binding on that side, I had it were the truck would just pull to one side while I was driving, turned out to be the ujoinnt.
Just a guess

Old 03-18-2009, 07:46 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 298 Likes on 157 Posts
Did you make sure the hub on that side isn't locked?

Tire pressures?

Old 03-18-2009, 08:59 AM
dchamberlain
Lead Driver

Received 664 Likes on 424 Posts
I was going to mention tire pressure. I'm amazed at how just a few pounds difference between sides can cause it to want to pull.

On Edit: I am also amazed at just how careless some tire shops can be at getting the tire pressure right. Dad and I were going somewhere once with his '96 F-250 and his slide in camper. We were on our way home and had to go over a pass that we knew was going to be well snow covered and Dad's tires weren't very good. He wanted new tires anyway so we stopped in at Les Schwab and he had a set of Toyo M-55's put on. Once we got back on the road Dad was pissed. That truck was all over the place, wandering, difficult to control, etc. He was about ready to turn around and go back and get his old tires back when it occurred to me to check the pressure. There was 75 in one side, and 90 in the other. They had two guys work on the truck, one did one side and one did the other. Apparently the one guys gauge was waaay off. We put the proper 80 in each (we had a heavy camper on), and the truck drove perfectly. He's been very happy with those tires ever since.

Old 03-18-2009, 09:13 AM
SneakyF350
Mountain Pass
All great points guys. I'l providea little more info. I did equalize tire pressure and made sure the hubs are not manually locked. Still have the pull. I have not check out U-joints but the truck only has 6,000 miles on it!

Old 03-18-2009, 12:01 PM
Stone Mathews
Senior User
Sneaky, I've been in your shoes buddy. The main difference being my SD is much, much older. I feel your pain, however.

Here's a link (to another link...lol) from another time I've thrown in my $0.02

Good luck!!

Stone

Old 03-18-2009, 12:24 PM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
SO many possibilites
Did it start after shop visit ? go beat them up !
otherwise...
Tire pressure
hubs
tires themselves (rotate to see if it changes)
4 wheel alignment ('leaning' one way or the other)
wheel bearings
SIDE WINDs - I know obvious
Frame damage and worse...

If not the obvious, ask around for a good shop !

Good luck with it !

(The most obvious ---- Don't let go of the wheel to grab your girlfriend while driving!)

Old 03-18-2009, 02:34 PM
SneakyF350
Mountain Pass
Talking

That's good advice. I would never take my hands off the wheel to grab my girlfriend. It could certainly be a deadly move, especially if wife finds out.

Old 03-19-2009, 08:11 AM
SGnAZ
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by SneakyF350
That's good advice. I would never take my hands off the wheel to grab my girlfriend. It could certainly be a deadly move, especially if wife finds out.
This is the Quote of the day

Old 03-19-2009, 09:53 AM
Stone Mathews
Senior User
Oops, I just realized I did not post the thread I mentioned above.

Here you go:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/6...ml#post7097086

Stone