Bronco II Ford Bronco II

So... Heres a question

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 01:26 PM
Arctic Wolf
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So... Heres a question

It isnt really work done one the truck as of yet. But at the same time it's work that one way or another Im going to do... So I feel that I cant post this on Truck work as of yet.

After reading an older issue of Petersen's 4 Wheel mag Ive come up with the idea of installing a locker. The article was about 4X4 building basics. And it was giving tips on building your truck either for Mud, Rocks, Sand, or Snow. it seems to lean towards the idea of installing some sort of locker. No matter what your building it for.
I was down at Mopac yesterday checking out there store. First Id like to say Wow. The store in Langley is huge.

Now Im kinda stumped. It would cost me roughly about $516 for a Lock Rite locker from them which I really dint think was to bad.
Now Ive got the stock 7.5 and D28 in my BII. I have bought a lil while ago the 8.8 and a D35 and now its just sitting till summers over then I can start building that. Eventually I want to go with 456 gears to turn some 33's. Thats the biggest that I want ta go.
So now Im wondering if I should find out just how much if any what the difference in price would be for a Lock Rite for my 8.8 or should I do the swap later as I planed. Or.. should I go with the 7.5 throw the locker in and be done with it. My plans for April are to change the BII leafs and coils for the Explorer leafs and coils. Now should I take the time and change the 7.5 over now. One of my ideas is that Im going to like I say change all the 8.8 and 35 over after this summer. Or should I beat the hell outa the 7.5 and 28 and after there dead then change em over. And that would give me time to build the 8.8 and 35.

Whats your guys input??

Ive asked this question in the 4X4 sus room as well as the Chapter that Im in. I just want to see what the BII guys say as well.

Old 03-16-2009, 06:54 AM
kernel-panic
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would build your 35 and 8.8 and swap them in rather than waste the money on doing any mods to your 28 and 7.5. I'm guessing the exchange rate must be horrible, I've never seen the lock-rites for the 7.5 or 28 over $300US, IIRC - but then again, with the economy the way it is, who knows. If you want an in-between setup, you can always weld the spider gears in the 28 as you'd only use it off-pavement or in the snow and find a limited slip (Trac-Lok) carrier for the 7.5 and install it (with new small parts, especially the clutches!) in your 7.5. That's my input

Old 03-16-2009, 02:51 PM
Arctic Wolf
Senior User
Thanks Kernel. Thats actually a real good idea. What did a limited slip come in that would fit the 7.5? You are talking about goin and findin that at the wreckers arent you?

Old 03-17-2009, 09:00 AM
kernel-panic
Posting Guru
Yeah, some junkyard diving required for the L/S unless you'd want to spend the money on the new parts to convert the open carrier to a L/S (IIRC, the difference is mainly in the small internal parts for the carrier, not the carrier housing itself?) , buy an OEM Trac-Lok carrier and parts, or spend the money on an aftermarket Auburn unit. Earlier Rangers and BIIs were sometimes equipped with the OEM 'Trac-Lok' Ford limited slip differentials, usually 3.73 and up gearing, and I've mostly seen them come out of XLT, XLT+, or Eddie Bauer 1st or 2nd Gen BIIs or comparably equipped 1st and 2nd Gen Rangers - and usually ones equipped with an automatic transmission more often than manual. The only drawbacks of some lockers and welding the spiders (especially) is tire wear on dry pavement and breakage of things - but for off-road, a limited slip or locker is a good thing to have. Drawbacks on limited slip differentials is having to overhaul them when the clutches inside wear out.

Old 03-17-2009, 11:38 PM
rebocardo
Post Fiend
> Or should I beat the hell outa the 7.5 and 28

If you beat the snot out of the Dana 28, you will most likely pop an outer UJ on the pass. side right away. Removing the spindle to replace the axle might take as much time as just swapping the Dana 35 under the B2.

I would baby the vehicle until you put the Dana 35/8.8 under it, because any money you spend fixing the stock drive train could be used towards the upgraded drive train.

Old 03-18-2009, 05:30 AM
kernel-panic
Posting Guru
Yeah, I wouldn't advise railing on or beat the snot out of even a 'Lincoln-locked' 28 or 7.5 much, but doing cheap upgrades for traction on them will help - if you drive it right - until you have the 35 and 8.8 ready to swap in. I'm on the casual look out for another set of axles for a future project - not sure if I'm going the 'stock' 35/8.8 route or what yet. Contemplating using the ones (Early Bronco 44 and 9") I bought for my '87 for another project (an '84 chop top I may be acquiring that needs a complete body off build-up) and going with something else on the '87 for a milder build. I dunno yet. I have so many ideas for projects I'll probably never finish them all before I die lol.