Sponsored by: Moser

Clutch confusion

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 08:12 PM
76F100guy
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clutch issue

When I bought my truck, it had clutch chatter. Pulled everything apart, surfaced the flywheel, and put in a new Sachs clutch kit - the "Long" 3 finger type (same as the original I took out). With the new clutch, it had a high frequency chatter, like nothing I've experienced before. Tore it apart again, and found that one of the clutch fingers was loose (when installed), while the other two were tight.

Got another Sachs. Same issue when installed, so didn't bother putting the tranny in. Got another aftermarket - not a Sachs. This one had two loose fingers when installed.

So, I'm looking for suggestions. Should I go with a "performance" brand, like Zoom, or can I upgrade to a diaphragm pressure plate? If so, what brand do you suggest? I don't abuse my clutches, and this ain't no race truck (300 with a 3 speed). I just want something that's going to work smoothly, and I'm anxious to get this thing back on the road!

Old 03-13-2009, 11:35 PM
classicfordman
Senior User
are you sure you put the clutch disk in corectly or?.....ive had similar trouble with my previous f-100 (73 f-100 302 3 on tree)..and i had the clutch disk off center once i got it in line i didnt have any more problems...thats all i know to say about fixing it .......because it sounds like you have had this problem with every brand youve tryed so far, and i never had a problem out of it after i got it centered up..

Old 03-14-2009, 12:55 PM
76F100guy
Mountain Pass
Yes, it's installed correctly. Between my buddy and me, we've done over 100 clutch replacements. First time I've ever experienced anything like this.

Old 03-14-2009, 02:45 PM
garypettengill
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just grabbing at straws here, might it not be the clutch but instead maybe the input shaft bearing on the transmission is having issues. I'm sure you've already looked at the pilot bearing.

Old 03-14-2009, 02:53 PM
76F100guy
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by garypettengill
Just grabbing at straws here, might it not be the clutch but instead maybe the input shaft bearing on the transmission is having issues. I'm sure you've already looked at the pilot bearing.
Yes, it's a bushing, and it's new.

The trans input shaft bearing is something we hadn't considered. I'll check it out on Monday. Thanks!

Old 03-14-2009, 03:36 PM
classicfordman
Senior User
im fixing to change mine over to a standard shift i cant stand auto shifts.. and i just thought id mention the posability of a mis aligned clutch disk because they can be a pain as you well know sometimes..lol

Old 03-14-2009, 05:22 PM
RCrawler
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You're using new clutch kits, not remans right? I have been replacing all of the 3 finger clutches with diaphragm type because they grab more evenly and are less prone to chattering.

Are you torquing the pressure plate down, or just going tight with it?

Try moving the pressure plate around on the flywheel and bolting it down in different locations. See if the loose levers stay in the same position on the flywheel or move with the pressure plate.

Since you installed the second clutch and still had issues with levers before the transmission was installed, I'm wondering if the flywheel is bent or maybe not machined true.

Jason

Old 03-14-2009, 05:53 PM
76F100guy
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by RCrawler
You're using new clutch kits, not remans right? I have been replacing all of the 3 finger clutches with diaphragm type because they grab more evenly and are less prone to chattering.

Are you torquing the pressure plate down, or just going tight with it?

Try moving the pressure plate around on the flywheel and bolting it down in different locations. See if the loose levers stay in the same position on the flywheel or move with the pressure plate.

Since you installed the second clutch and still had issues with levers before the transmission was installed, I'm wondering if the flywheel is bent or maybe not machined true.

Jason
Yes, new.

Torquing.

Tried that. They move with the pressure plate.

Had the flywheel checked again, after the first machining. It's true.

Looks like we're on the same page I'm going to try a Zoom diaphragm. They've always worked for me in the past. Thanks for the suggestions!

Old 03-14-2009, 08:18 PM
jacfordf-250
Senior User
is there any play from the chank shaft moving back and forth

Old 03-14-2009, 09:24 PM
bmuhlbach
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
luk clutchs are good, also thats what most factory clutchs are

Old 03-14-2009, 10:20 PM
76F100guy
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by jacfordf-250
is there any play from the chank shaft moving back and forth
No, none.

Originally Posted by bmuhlbach
luk clutchs are good, also thats what most factory clutchs are
I'll check 'em out. Not familiar with Luk.

Old 03-16-2009, 06:30 PM
76F100guy
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by RCrawler
I have been replacing all of the 3 finger clutches with diaphragm type because they grab more evenly and are less prone to chattering.

Jason
Today's hot tip is... diaphragm pressure plate. Put in a Sachs kit (same as Zoom/Perfection/Brute), and it works like a champ, with a fraction of the pedal pressure that the lever type required. The diaphragm works so much better, I don't know why anyone continues to make the lever type.