primer problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2001, 07:55 PM
milner65
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
primer problem

I am trying to paint my 65 Ford pickup and I'm having a problem with my primer. I am using Sherman Williams primer a Coleman compressor and it's going on too dry, like a powder (easily wiped off with a cloth). I've thinned out the primer to see if that made a difference but that didn't help.

Anyone have any ideas how to correct this?

Old 09-09-2001, 11:05 PM
davlo
Junior User
primer problem

some possibilities might be holding gun to far away , paint volume setting on the gun is not high enough , compressor is not powerful enough , gun is clogged . what is the volume of your compressor ? I spray at around 45 to 55 pounds at the gun (it self) not at the compressor gauge and might use up to 10 cfm.I used a couple of 110 volt units but always had some type of problem. I now use a 220 volt compressor that can run at 10 to 12 cfm if I need it. you really need air volume to do it right.If you are new at painting practice on some scrap or even cardboard ,it will teach you settings and distance.

Old 10-14-2001, 04:25 PM
rtwardle
Junior User
primer problem

Word of caution here. You cannot apply paint to a surface such as the one you have described. You need to apply primer and primer surfacers with a medium wet coat. Your condition has poor adhesion qualities to the metal substrate. You will be wasting your money on top coat if you apply it.

Old 10-15-2001, 11:37 AM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
primer problem