Wal-Mart spray paint quaility?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2001, 09:59 PM
Matt67
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm using spray-paint, and not primer, as I was told to do by this board, to cover my truck as I'm working on it. Doe's anyone have expereince with Wal-mart's "Color Place" rust preventative paint? No, I'm not talking about the 88-cent kiddy-wagon paint. This is the $1.97 paint that says it is "Garranteed" to stop rust for 2-years. I think it would be just fine, because "Krylon" seems to be very popular with ya'll, and it didn't even say anything about rust on it.

Thanks, Matt

Old 10-20-2001, 11:48 PM
rtwardle
Junior User

Matt I'm not sure what yor intentions are with the Walmart paint. If it is to cover steel and prevent rust from forming then it will work. After all, the only reason we paint vehicles is to prevent rust right? Time however, is a different story. Rust forms due to many factors. Adhesion qualities of your paint, moisture intrusion through the paint and condition of the substrate not inclusively effect the overall results. I teach at a high school autobody shop here in Calgary Alberta Canada. It's hard for me to tell you what to do when we use specific types of materials with the end goal of reproducing the manufacturers results. I would think that any finishing product will prevent further corrosion be it Walmart paint or enamel paint used for exterior homes. Trying to duplicate factory results is a totally different story and thus requires a specific method of delivery. Give the paint you have a go. If you require results closer to the vehicles original appearance you need to use more specific materials.

Old 10-23-2001, 07:34 AM
johnny_ninja
Junior User