paint for frame

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2001, 08:35 PM
lsrjf
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post paint for frame

whats the best black paint for painting the frame of my 71 and under the hood also i have a 68 that the paint code is d its that teal color that you see a lot on these trucks is there a paint code that i can give to a local paint shop to get the right color

Old 11-12-2001, 01:13 AM
arusj
Freshman User
paint for frame

There is black paint specifically made for chassis. It is chassis black and is a one step paint. It is primer and pigment all in one. It does a great job. It says you only need one coat, but I put on two.

Old 11-12-2001, 07:51 AM
StockMan
Posting Guru
paint for frame

[FONT COLOR="#0000ff" SIZE="3" FACE="Veranda"]
What brand chassis black are you referring to?

There is a good Chassis Black made by Eastwood, but that is not a one-step. POR-15 also gets rave reviews by many members here in this forum.

[/FONT]
https://www.ford-trucks.com/dcforum/User_files/StockMan/flag.gif[br][FONT COLOR="#ff0000" SIZE="+2" FACE="Bassett"]Stock Man[/FONT]
[FONT COLOR="#0000ff" SIZE="+1" FACE="Tahoma"]
[LINK:www.ford-trucks.net/users/stockman|Stockman's Club FTE Site]
[LINK:www.67fordtruck.com|1967 F-Series Registry ( www.67fordtruck.com )]

Old 12-04-2001, 02:10 PM
CustomCab4x4
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
paint for frame

Try POR-15's "Chassis Black". Looks awsome. Has just the right sheen for chassis painting. Good luck, Phil

Old 12-08-2001, 04:32 AM
CustomCab4x4
Elder User
paint for frame

>Try POR-15's "Chassis Black
================================================== ======
Forgot to mention too, I painted the entire frame, both diffs and all the brackets with one quart. Used a small 3" foam roller on the flat areas and a foam brush where the roller wouldn't fit. Turned out great, no brush or roller marks and no overspray. I didn't even slop it all over me. After cleaning and prep, I DID paint the whole frame first with regular black POR-15. Good luck, Phil

Old 12-08-2001, 09:15 AM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
paint for frame

Funny, I've never heard of POR 15. I usually just go with RUSTOLEUM, which has a fairly wide range of colors, or can be mixed to get half tones or other shades. It can be found just about anywhere, home depot, hardware and paint stores, even SEARS.

Quart cans are only about five bucks, and it also comes in spray cans.

I had good results with it from a paint gun and compressor on a trailer where I shot the whole thing a pale blue (frame included). And the cleanup, and thinning is done with mineral spirits.

I am starting to think a bit more about the lower areas of the engine bay though -
Everything eventually gets on the crossmember, for one. Fuel, carb cleaner, antifreeze, brake and power steering fluid, you name it.

Is POR 15 proof against that kind of stuff?

Old 12-09-2001, 02:12 AM
CustomCab4x4
Elder User
paint for frame

Well, I know nothing is "bulletproof", but this stuff is pretty darn stout. I AM positive it will out last Rustoleum. (tried it ) It's a completely different type of paint. (moisture curing urethane)
Once dry, anti-freeze, oil and gas seem to have no effect on it. It doesn't come in near as many colors though. Gloss and semi flat black, clear, white, silver and gray. They do now have a few other colors that you can topcoat with that share "properties" with POR-15. Or you can always use thier "Tie-Coat" primer and then you can use whatever you want over that. That's what I used inside my bed. (POR-15, Tie-Coat, then spray in liner) The Tie-coat can also be put on with a foam roller. It dries real smooth and is easily sanded. Doesn't load the paper bad at all; feathers out nice too. Good luck, Phil { 64 F-150 4X4 }
================================================== ================
>Funny, I've never heard of POR 15. I usually just go with
>RUSTOLEUM, >
>I am starting to think a bit more about the lower areas of
>the engine bay though -
>Everything eventually gets on the crossmember, for one.
>Fuel, carb cleaner, antifreeze, brake and power steering
>fluid, you name it.
> Is POR 15 proof against that kind of stuff

Old 12-18-2001, 10:34 AM
Howard
Freshman User
paint for frame

The absolute best paint is AG111 from PM industries. Check them out at www.mastersieriescoatings.com or 1-800-833-8933. Their paints are two part urethanes. They resist all known sovents are so chip resistant its unbelivabe. The only what to get them off is sandblasting and its difficult even with a professional high pressure blaster. I'vew used them for ten years and no rust or chips. I can't praise their paints enough.

Howard

Old 12-18-2001, 05:46 PM
CustomCab4x4
Elder User
paint for frame

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 18-Dec-01 AT 06:49 PM (EST)]Thanx Howard. I'll check them out. How are the costs compared to other paints? Can they be "brushed" on and not streak ?

================================================== ===========
>The absolute best paint is AG111 from PM industries. Check
>them out at www.masterseriescoatings.com or 1-800-833-8933.
>
>Howard

Old 12-19-2001, 11:27 AM
darkman
Posting Guru
paint for frame

I couldn't get the link to work. Can you check it and see if it is right?

Charles

Old 12-19-2001, 12:26 PM
Charles-65F350
Senior User
paint for frame

It's typed wrong.
http://www.masterseriescoatings.com works for me.

Old 12-20-2001, 02:07 PM
Howard
Freshman User
paint for frame

The best surface prep for the AG111 is sandblasting. I usually spray it on. you can brush it on with a foam brush and you won't get too many streaks if you thin it out a little more than than the directions say to. Even when spraying I thin it a little more to aviod any orange peel. It costs $27.95 per quart. $10 for thinner. Comes in Flat, Satin and Gloss. I have not experienced any adverse effects from a little extra thinning. If you have any questions, call their number and they have fantastic tech support and knoledge. I have painted chassis, brackets, tow hooks etc... and the paint just won't quite. I don't know how it compares to POR-15 or other paints because onced I used AG111 there was no looking back.

Howard.

Old 12-20-2001, 02:37 PM
darkman
Posting Guru
paint for frame

I checked out the web site and it sounds a lot like POR15. Has anyone used both products. I can buy the POR15 locally which gives it price advantage But if the other is superior I would switch.

Charles

Old 12-23-2001, 01:17 PM
rtwardle
Junior User
paint for frame

I will be using PPG Epoxy Primer DP-48. Following this the top coat will be black automotive urethane paint. Once completely dry, the last step will be rustproofing all seams and nooks.

Old 12-26-2001, 08:36 AM
Carlene
Admom
Received 188 Likes on 116 Posts
paint for frame

>The best surface prep for the AG111 is sandblasting. I
>usually spray it on. you can brush it on with a foam brush
>and you won't get too many streaks if you thin it out a
>little more than than the directions say to. Even when
>spraying I thin it a little more to aviod any orange peel.
>It costs $27.95 per quart. $10 for thinner.

I've used the POR-15 exclusively on our '41 frame, springs, mounting brackets and anything else for the chassis where we wanted durability and rust protection. I've used the sprayer, a regular brush and foam brushes and it doesn't streak or orange peel whether it's been thinned or not. I even got a little heavy on the trigger finger a couple times while spraying, so when I was ready for a refill, I just went over the run with a sponge brush and when it settled, you'd never know there was a run. Hate to sound like a commercial, but we've been real pleased with the results from this stuff.

Quick Reply: paint for frame