Matching existing paint

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2002, 08:46 AM
robert_boyd
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Matching existing paint

I have an 86 F-150 red with that wonderful silver paint that is coming off. I want to remove the silver and replace it with the original red. The red is in great shape on the rest. Will I be able to match the red. Will there be a lot of difference when I shoot the new paint? Any ideas?

Old 04-03-2002, 12:00 PM
RE_SPEED_FAB
Senior User
Matching existing paint

>I have an 86 F-150 red with that wonderful silver paint that
>is coming off. I want to remove the silver and replace it
>with the original red. The red is in great shape on the
>rest. Will I be able to match the red. Will there be a lot
>of difference when I shoot the new paint? Any ideas?

If you can, take the gas door or anything that is red to the paint shop. They should be able to mix a match from your sample.
It will be pretty close and usually un-noticable to most people.
Blending the clear may be tough, if you can use a body line it helps, It's best to clear a whole panel but using a body line as a break works also. The difference will be in the texture of the clear, more or less orange peel, etc.

Old 04-06-2002, 11:23 PM
mtford1
Cross-Country
Matching existing paint

Personally if it was me i'd spend the money and spray the whole truck red again, chances are spraying just where the silver was with Sikkens, Standox or any other kind of paint, you could blend it into the orignal paint but chances are if the silver is peeling the red will start sooner or later. Plus the effects of a brand new paint job are well worth it. A very good paint to use is Endura. Its fairly expensive but its as tough as nail. I have had that on my truck for years and ive only srcated it once and that was due to a cliff wall. It a polyurathne. when it drys on a funnel or something like that you can bend the funnel and the paint wont break or peel off. Well its something to think about. later.

Old 04-24-2002, 02:37 PM
zukezake
Senior User
Matching existing paint

Agreed. From my experence, while any shop is setup to match colors 100%, it's a touch more difficult to match the chemistry. While it may look 100% when first done, chances are that it'll fade / oxidize diffrently over time.

Old 04-24-2002, 09:10 PM
Terrafermi_1
New User
Matching existing paint