1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Abby: My new '56 F-600

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 03:08 PM
Stephen67
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Abby: My new '56 F-600

Well, right now I don't have any real good photos to share, but here:

Info from ad: 1956 F 600
292 V8
5 speed trans
2 speed rear axle
new tires on front
Rear tires have tread but are weather checked
99% rust free, missing hood latch
fuel pump leaks while running
runs and drives

Now for some history: I have been searching for a '56 for about a year now. Checked many different options and determine this to be my favorite. The problem is, the '56 Ford NEVER came to this town, there is seriously ONLY ONE here, and the guy who owns it would never sell it. So searched every single alley way in this town, found things from '63 corvettes, to mustangs, to 50s Chevys to everything imaginable, but no '56 Ford.
I tried online for ages, see I'm basicly in no where America. Its 6 hours to the nearest city, or at least place I would consider a city. Population 15,000, 2 hours to a "city" with 200k, then like 4 to anything else. Thus my selection is very limited. Now there are a lot of classics around here, problem is those who own them... well they don't really use the internet and have no idea what a craigslist is. No classifieds, and there is no point in paying for a want ad when you want a project not a completed truck.

So the trucks I came across, well I actually posted on here once, where seriously beat to death rust buckets priced for gold. I do appreciate the help, and special thanks for Dave Boley.

Now, I don't know about you guys, but when I see something that I have been looking for for a very long time, I know which one is mine when I see it. Its not just a thing, its mine. Did it with my Mustang, did it with my nihonto, did it with this house. And I did it with this truck.

Now, the truck project is more than a truck to me, its been a thing of hope for quite some time now, but no need to get into that here. But I feel this is a really great deal; he wants less for it than I thought possible, it runs and DRIVES something I honestly didn't think was going to happen (going to be very cool to actually use it before restoring it!), the drivers window is the only glass that needs to be fixed, I will be the third owner, the first owned it for 50 years and garaged it, it doesn't have any rust, it's an F-600 (which I know the F-100s are most popular, but I need a big truck and love the 600s), basicly everything is there. Keep in mind my selection, trucks like this would cost me more:

Cabs go for over $500 around here, IF you manage to find them, I have to do most my shopping in Denver and pay up the waa-zoo for shipping.

So plans: I won't be able to get up to it for a couple weeks, maybe a month. Its a 6 hour drive up there without towing. I plan on making a custom bed for it, I want the bed to look like it was original (I've never seen one...), I might make it 4x4 but we'll see, possibly shorten the frame depending (but this all has a lot to think through first.) However it will be a candy red, and is named Abby... after NCIS (of whom if you don't know, well you're missing out, she's awesome)

(Yeah I know, I only name builds not everything I own. This is only the second time, the first was Selene (below) named after Kate beckinsale in Underworld )

So yep, glad to finally be on my way, I've looked for a long, long, long time. And its always nice when patients pays off.

Old 02-27-2009, 03:24 PM
Rockstone
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Congrats Stephen. Love it when a dream comes together, now the fun starts. Good luck with your project. Gotta love Abby, and be jealous of Gibbs. LOL

Old 02-27-2009, 04:17 PM
Stephen67
Postmaster
Thanks ^_^

And hurray! An NCIS fan!

More pictures:

Couple questions:

How do I tell the difference between a 272 and a 292? He said it had a 292 in it, but I was under the impression that '56s all had 272s and not a 292.

Secondly, what the crap am I going to do with a giant compressor? lol...
(Anyone have any idea what that would be worth? I know the engine needs a little fixing somewhere, but still)

Old 02-27-2009, 04:28 PM
Fomoko1
Received 1,353 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Congrats! I too was totally stroked when I found my 56 F350 and the 53 M350.
Don`t lose that compressor too quick, someone would will be able to make good use of it. Except for the distance I would be real interested in it for sandblasting.

Old 02-27-2009, 04:44 PM
Stephen67
Postmaster
I might hold on to it, I could use a heavy duty compressor in my shop. This truck was original used in a gold mine, no idea what the compressor was used for directly. Might easly be worth its weight in gold to me... but after I move it will have to come off as it takes up the bed of the truck! lol... now THATS going to be interesting...

Old 02-27-2009, 05:52 PM
3golfjack
Laughing Gas

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Looks like you got a great find. Wonder whats the odds of finding a 50,s Ford Truck 99% rust free, anywhere. Welcome to the 56,s owners group.

Old 02-27-2009, 06:46 PM
Fomoko1
If this truck was used in a gold mine you just might want to check it over closely for hidden gold dust....
While I`m not positive it seems to my that none of the lighter Ford trucks had the 292 until about about 1959, no clue about bigger ones like your`s.

Old 02-27-2009, 07:13 PM
FL299
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow - great find - I love the 56 and I love the 600's ! Happy for you - enjoy !

Old 02-27-2009, 07:15 PM
WALFORD'S 56
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know where you are coming from. I have a 56 F600 WITH 21,000 ORIGINAL RUSTFREE miles and love it.
The bad part is.....I know of others with the 56f600 and most of us do not drive them much.
Think about it...to run to the store....easier in the minivan....run to haul a couch....easier in the f150......going to church......easier in the sedan.......most guys get a truck like this and then figure.....what good is it? Most use their new trucks and trailer to haul with and the creature comforts are a real necessity today.
I think the guys I know....and I know about 10.....still love their ole f600s,but you won't find yourself using it much........Just my opinion.....and my best fried told me this a few yrs.,ago,and 10 trucks ago.
If you buy it,keep it respectable and a rust-free 56 is hard to find. Look in my gallery at mine. good luck....Bill

Old 02-27-2009, 07:15 PM
56 Sweety
Junior User
Hey, what a find !!! A 56 in this shape -- plenty good to work with..a little TLC and she will look as good as Abby does !!!

Gib

Old 02-27-2009, 07:20 PM
WALFORD'S 56
Postmaster
I hope I didn't scare you away.....but I did drive my 56f600 today,and only 1 mile and back for gas. You definately don't see them every day....unless you are around my house.....haha!!!
Bill

Old 02-27-2009, 07:23 PM
Fomoko1
Though I don`t use my 56 F350 dually much I just love having it for some reason or other..........

Old 02-27-2009, 07:51 PM
Stephen67
Postmaster
Thanks guys ^_^

As I don't have another truck and my car is a cherried '67 Mustang, I'd actually be pretty apt to use it a lot, especially being a blacksmith. But this of course is being said prior to driving it, lol.

Old 02-27-2009, 08:14 PM
bigblockfordman
Senior User
Nice score Wyoming dude!!.......see what happens when your patient!!....I saw your 56
on C.L.......thought it was a good deal for a clean old truck!! and nice "bounus" with that air compressor!!....even though the "bigger" trucks are'nt as popular as the "smaller"
ones, they are "way cool" in there own way and need to be "saved" just as much if not more than there little brother's!!.....my son and I are "looking" for a 51-52 C.O.E. for a "future" project.......Enjoy your "new" ride and "Abby's" a "hotty" as well!!

Later, Doug

Old 02-27-2009, 08:27 PM
dave boley
Posting Guru
Hi Stephen,
Congrats on the truck. If that Schramn Compressor on the back goes with it you can probably get your money back. They were a unique compressor. If you look close at it you will see that the compressor is the same block as the engine. A local airport here had on the last time I was around their Maint guys.

Now, get to work.

Later Man...

Quick Reply: Abby: My new '56 F-600