6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Help with tailpipe problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 08:05 AM
sawtooth
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with tailpipe problem

not sure if this is a problem but i've seen post saying the tailpipe can show you issues with your engine. I was looking at mine this morning and noticed a little oily residue on the underside of the rear pipe. Not a lot just a little. This being my first diesel i wasnt sure if this was normal or not. Any thoughts?

Old 02-27-2009, 08:34 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,430 Likes on 1,023 Posts
How many miles on it? Could it just be from being brand new? I'd wash it then go from there.

Using your tailpipes for eng issues..is nothing more than watch them for black pipes.

Right now they should be clean and they should stay that way on the inside. It they get dirty then that can mean you have a DPF (diesel Particulate Filter) problem.

Old 02-27-2009, 09:29 AM
caprang
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I remember something about new trucks seeing this because of the coating that is on the exhaust to keep it from rusting before its installed. I cant remember if it was a TSB or not but if your truck is fairly new, thats all it is. Take it for a good drive and let it get real hot. Clean the tail pipe up and see if it goes away. It should go away fairly soon but if it continues for a while there could be something else. Not likely though.

If the inside of the tail pipe has heavy soot then its a DPF problem.