6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

SCT X3 tunes..... experience....

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 04:04 PM
dcaddi2
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
SCT X3 tunes..... experience....

Since my truck is studded, have the EGR deleted and have 4" exhaust - with muffler in - , gauges (with in cab fuel pressure gauge )I decided I'll be just fine testing even the hottest tunes with the SCT X3 , like an experiment, and see what the 6.0 capable of.
I did all the testing for my own fun, I was well aware that if something brakes, I'll pay for it. So far everything stood up for the test really good.
I bought my SCT X3 from Innovative, so I have
custom Street, XtremeStreet, and XtremeRace from them.
I also tested the Spartan Archive tunes, those what's available for everyone.
I'm not towing with my truck, so I didn't bother testing tow tunes - sorry for that.
I'm sure that "we" all mostly curious about the high-end tunes, that's why I put the ASE (AgressiveStreetEconomy), and up under the spotlight. All these results are in city and highway traffic, my attention was to find out what would be a great DD program.
Let's start with Spartan tunes:

Spartan ASE - Agressive Street Economy.
Possibly one of the smoothest program from Spartan with plenty of power hidden under the hood. Great throttle response at low RPM-s - just like every program from Spartan. That is one of the best things in his tunes, the throttle response is awesome on low RPM. The ASE is a very likeable tune for the streets, it feels like your vehicle is awake, but really smooth and greatly drivable in heavy traffic. The smoothness disappears at WOT at around 2500RPM, and it goes. You'll be pushed in to the seat, and it will put a smile on your face. Lovely!
I'll quote it to one of the first choice for a DD tune, the boost ( max 25-27 ) and EGT ( max around 1300 ) numbers are stay low, so I'd say it is "had-bolt" safe under "normal" operation.
I have no complaints about the shifting. It is not a neck-breaker ,stiff, but still smooth for everyday driving.

Spartan Hybrid Race.
Great program! Now we are talking about some power from low RPM-s. Awesome throttle response, the turbo lag technically disappears, and you get a big smile on your face driving your truck with this program. If you are looking for a fun, powerful program, if you looking for showing off to "little race" cars that the big ol' powerstroke has the word "power" in the name for a reason, this is what you were searching for. But be aware, that the boost ( max 34-35 ) and the EGT ( 14-1500 ) are also climbing along with the power. My fuel pressure - measured at the test port on the pressure regulator - dropped around 2-4 PSI at WOT. It is not a head-bolt safe program, use it on your own risk, and don't blame anybody but yourself if something goes wrong.
Really good, stiff shifting, enjoyable drive, A really good runner for a DD tune for those who has the supporting mods.

Spartan Ultra Comptition.
Do not use it without studs! It is an insane program, even the sound of the truck is different. Sounds like a real beast, and it is a beast. Step on the gas, and grab on to something! With a heavy foot you more likely going to spin your tires before the truck gets moving, but when it does move, it moves fast. You'll get something what you never tought you'll feel in an 8k pounds truck. I personally had a chance to show a "pimped out" BMW M3 how a "work truck" can keep up.
The boost ( maxed out at 39 ) and EGT ( over 1500 and climbing ) are up in the sky, and the fuel pressure dropped 5-8 PSI at WOT.
The shifting tuned for WOT take off, it is also drivable in traffic, but could give you some issues. If you do a WOT take off, but you have no chance to let it shift all the way up, it could be really hard on your transmission. I let the throttle off at 3000 RPM, and it shifted up so hard, that I was sure it kicked off the transmission from under the truck. It wasn't a pleasant feeling.
This tune could be a DD tune, but you have to be aware that it was written for the race-track , and you have to bare with it's under-sides. I'd say it's a great power-plant program, use it for fun, but use it on your own risk, and not just because it's a "must have studs" program...

All these experiences are from the Spartan Archive Tunes, I can imagine that the Spartan custom programs act differently, than these. I ran these tunes a few times and I also noticed a slight difference between each upload.

INNOVATIVE

Street and Xtreme Street.

The Innovative Street similar to the ASE, the XtremeStreet similar to the Hybrid Race. There is a big difference in throttle response though. While Spartan starts off with great throttle response, the Innovative tunes act really close to stock program. You still have the turbo-lag, low RPM power is close to stock. First I tought something went wrong, and I'm running stock. The truck wakes up at around 2300RPM, and you'll feel that you're running a tune in it. The biggest advantage of the Innovative tunes is the shifting : Awesome! It was said lots of times before, and I just have to say again, I wish that somehow we could mate Spartan engine and the Innovative transmission tunes. Now that would be the one!
The boost and EGT numbers are pretty much the same as the Spartan tunes, and if you got this far reading, you know the numbers.

Innovaive Xtreme Race

If it is possible, this tune is even wilder, than Spartan Ultra Competition. I have to point it out again, that I think the shifting is a little-bit better, and that's what makes it a tiny-bit more enjoyable, than the UC from Spartan. The "weird" thing is that if you do a take off from dead stop, the RPM stays high.... But if you step on it while you are rolling, this tune actually uses the huge amount of torque what the 6.0 can produce, and it gives you one h*ll of a take off without shifting back, keeping the RPM "low". I absolutely loved that.
The highest boost I've seen was 41PSI, the EGT is up high over 1500.

My overall experience is: all of these are great tunes, they handle the 6.0 very well, and IMO it would be really hard to choose which one fits my needs the best. I usually switching between them in every 2 weeks, so my truck always gives me something new...

And now about the MPG. I'm sure a lot of us interested about that.
With the ASE and Innovative Street I've had around 15-16 MPG. Even though the ASE stands for "economic" tune, it's not the best for sure. But if you look at the fact that the stock truck hardly ever does over 15MPG, and you also get great power with these tunes, I think this number is not that bad.
The Hybrid and Xtreme Street gave me around 12-MPG, while the
Racing tunes from each tuner couldn't climb over 10 MPG.

It was said several times, but never enough to say : YOU PLAY, YOU PAY. I am well aware that if I blow something in my truck, I'll pay for it, and won't blame it on anything else, but myself. If you play with your truck, do the same, and make sure you know, that just because "someone" said on FTE that this or that tune could be okay without the supporting mods, that doesn't necesseraly means that it WILL be.
All these results could vary in each truck, just like eggs, there are no 2 identical 6.0-s. Also I could make mistakes, and I would like to apologize for not being more specific, but I just tested these tunes for fun, my attention was only to tell my own experience, and try to put it in everyday words, for an everyday driver.

Almost forget, if you do the same as I did, make sure you have an other set of tires.....you'll need 'em really soon for sure.....

Old 04-13-2009, 12:26 AM
04redstroker
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nice write up. im pickin up my sct w/ truck source diesel tunes tomorrow. I'll do a similiar write up on them, except i wont be runnin his real hot tunes since i dont have my studs yet, only 5000 on the new motor and dont wanna void the warrenty yet.lol

Old 04-13-2009, 09:10 AM
Lubbockguy1979
Cargo Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I've been running hybrid race for a few tanks now..... I am getting less to a tank but it is hard to go back to ase..... I really like the lack of kick down shifting from 40 mph..... Haven't run ultra comp but the hybrid let's u know it has the power you can feel the truck torque up. Makes you feel all warm and fuzzy... I am probably going back to ase though for the milage I think I've lost about 2mpg running the hybrid race

Old 04-13-2009, 10:03 AM
OneTon4Fun
Mountain Pass
When you tested the Spartan top end tunes like Hybrid Race and Ultra Competition did you use the stock injectors? Spartan recomends upgrading the injectors for these crazy haul a$$ tunes.

Old 04-13-2009, 06:09 PM
dcaddi2
Elder User
I do have stock injectors. I could imagine that the truck would run better with upgraded, bigger injectors, but I have absolutely nothing to complaint. My eyes were on the fuel pressure gauge, and even though the pressure did drop some, never went under 53 PSI. (My idle pressure is 64PSI ) Now if you're running bigger injectors, you need to support them with fuel. I do not have the ITP regulated return, nor the upgraded fuel pump yet. (That's the next on my list though )
I've got a private message asking about the turbo-lag with Innovative tunes, I'd answer it here on the forum.
I made a big "mistake", and I tried Spartan tunes first, then I switched to Innovative tunes.
There is a big difference on low RPM-s between these two tuners. I might just think that the turbo-lag is stock-like, while it could be nothing like that. But it is noticeable compared to Spartan tunes. Anyways, ERIC777, if you'll get your SCT from Innovative with the power package ( tunes ) , you'll love they're tunes, and you also can download the Spartan archive tunes, so you can play. You can easily return your truck to stock, but I do not know about the "burn-marks" on the cylinder - that never was my attention.

Old 04-13-2009, 07:22 PM
04F-250mark
Senior User
What is the best tuner for price? I know SCT but what flavor and about how much$$$$
Is it cool to get a used one due to the fact of since I've gotten the exhaust the little misses has an EYE ON ME AND MY TRUCK!! LOL!

Old 04-14-2009, 01:56 AM
Pro 5-O
New User
I got a SF3 (PN 3015) for $379 w/o tax from a speed shop. It has preloaded tunes and 3 slots for custom tunes.

I switch between the canned performance, ASE, and Hybrid Race. The Hybrid tune is a lot of fun.