Chip and Tuner Frequently Asked Questions - READ BEFORE POSTING HERE

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2005, 10:58 AM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Chip and Tuner Frequently Asked Questions - READ BEFORE POSTING HERE

Answers to common questions

Q How much power will a chip or tuner give me?
A For gas vehicles: 8-12% over stock horsepower, depending on the application. If you want to know the specific gain for your vehicle setup or modifications you'll need to dyno test your vehicle. For diesel applications, depending on which programs you select the gains can be from 40HP all the way up to a wild 170HP (SCT custom tuning on the 6.0 diesel).

Q Will it increase my mileage?
A For diesels, almost always (depends on your driving habits). For gas applications, no. While gas tuners will often give 1-2 mpg in the higher octane tunes, the added mileage benefit is offset by the additional cost of premium fuel.

Q Will it do anything to the transmission shifting?
A Vehicles with electronically controlled transmissions will have a firmer shift that is not harsh, plus better shift patterns.

Q I've added an intake kit and/or exhaust system, does this require custom tuning?
A No.

Q What modifications require custom tuning?
A Any modification which can change the reading of O2 sensors and the MAF sensor. Examples include long tube headers, X/H pipes, cutting off catalyitc converters, changing to an aftermarket MAF, radical cam changes with older EEC-IV vehicles, etc. For supercharged applications boost pulleys over 2lbs also require custom tuning. Nitrous oxide also requires custom tuning. For diesels, custom tuning is recommended when "stacking" a chip with a fueling box, propane and nitrous oxide. If you tow a lot www.MotorHaven.com can custom tune SCT chips, tuners and Xcalibrators for towing, as well as Diablo Sport chips.

Q Can I use a tuner/programmer on more than one vehicle?
A No. Once a tuner programs a vehicle it locks itself from programming another. If you wish to program another vehicle you must restore the previous vehicle to stock tuning first.

Q Must I use premium fuel with a gasoline tuner or chip?
A Its not strictly required (if an 87 octane program is used) but you lose most of the benefit of a chip if you don't use premium fuel programming.

Q Will I get more power with a custom tune?
A It depends. The tuning companies have some very good programming these days "out of the box." However, we've done quite a bit with custom tunes and can squeeze extra power out with some applications. Sometimes will be at the expense of mileage, etc., so it can be a trade-off. For SCT, we've created some "dual tune" tables. Essentially you get a mileage tune at part throttle and a power tune at wide open throttle. This type of thing isn't available with "out of the box" tunes.