6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

spartan archived tunes who likes what?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 06:20 PM
brickie
Cargo Master
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
I have only used it on a studded truck and it is very un-truck like.If you do a wot run through the gears without studs your heads will lift and you might be pushing it home. There is a good reason it was listed as race only.

Old 03-28-2009, 06:33 PM
Blaster7Romeo
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by blong2107
I appreciate it brickie I do however have money for studs just don't have the time to do them and i'm kinda interested to see what the stockies will take.... do you have any experience with ultra comp at all on a non studded truck, or does anyone for that matter?
Dont know can you take a video of it for us so we can see?

Old 03-28-2009, 06:48 PM
brickie
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Blaster7Romeo
Dont know can you take a video of it for us so we can see?
Could you put the camera under the hood?

Old 03-28-2009, 07:41 PM
blong2107
Senior User
well sounds like you guys have serious issues with your lack of confidence in the 6.0 however I do not. I do not really plan on running the ultra comp i was just looking for some info if anyone had i'm looking for some real stories of heads lifting and so fourth as you claim they will, i was not looking for smarta## answers or sarcasm, the main reason i asked was a previous guy posted that he uses ultra comp as a DD and he didnt specify if he has studs it isn't listed in his sig.... anyways i'm not really worried about what i do to this truck i will just fix it its not like i'm an idiot who knows nothing or doesn't have the cash to play expensively it jus seems everyone is so scared as i likewise have been but i've been running the HR (when i'm not towing) and \have no problems and I drive it responsibly but I do give it hell havent had any problems egt, boost, nothing over any dangerous levels and no signs of anythin wrong yet, i like experiments i'm also settin up a turbo experiment if i can get all the funds to do it how i want, to test the aftermarket intake effects on the turbo like K&N vs stock I want to put a turbo on a blower and put the filter on the other end and run some pretty dirty stuff thru it and set up the stocky the same with the little woosy tube on it, just as set up on the truck, also to see which one flows better.

Old 03-28-2009, 07:52 PM
brickie
Cargo Master
I am not being a smart azz. You will lift your heads if you hammer on Ultra comp. Have fun.

Old 03-28-2009, 08:02 PM
blong2107
Senior User
Originally Posted by brickie
I am not being a smart azz. You will lift your heads if you hammer on Ultra comp. Have fun.
you and the other guy were saying video tape it this is the smart azz coment i was referring to, and do you not read i said i didnt plan on trying it i'm just looking for anyone who has and mainly the guy who said he uses it as a DD and he doesn't have studs listed I appreciate the info on saying the heads will lift that is what i assume also but i do not like the tone in which you said it like i was stupid and then the video tape comment i just want info have you seen personally where this has happened, I have not, however logic and sheer math tells me this will happen as you likewise say but i'm just wanting conversation on it. if the other guy doesn't have studs apparently they wont lift if you hammer on it he acknowledged racing with it at the track
sorry for the hostility i just get agrivated i don't claim to know it all and i always listen to waht people say or think

Old 03-28-2009, 08:18 PM
brickie
Cargo Master
I wasn't being a smart azz,I would like to see what that explosion of coolant would look like.Your writing is very hard to read,there a couple things missing, capital letters for one. Sorry I misunderstood.

Old 03-28-2009, 08:40 PM
blong2107
Senior User
My fault, yes I do have missing things in my writing. I go to school and have to use proper grammer in class, and I have a problem with getting excited and word vomet so I do not like to follow the grammer rules. I also own two businesses and i've had a hec of a day and I have been snapping on just about everyone. anyway sorry

Old 03-28-2009, 08:50 PM
hangon2me
Senior User
I run the ASE as my daily driver, I have no studs as of yet.
As for the power, I have "almost" to much with ASE (uncontrolled wheel spin)...To much power is just enough...LOL
At this point I think my heads will/may be alright as long as I watch
my EGT's and boost..
I have hammered it a few (several ) times, never seen hot Temps or high
boosts..
My thoughts are, the Transmission will/may fail first....
I was tempted trying Ulta Comp or Race, I do not trust the stock Transmission.
My Transmission already failed at 32,000 with a completely stock truck.
I will wait on installing studs and a sun coast Transmission before going above ASE..

Old 03-28-2009, 08:54 PM
Blaster7Romeo
Senior User
Well i am sorry if my attempt at humor offended you. But i would still like to see it because it will eather be bad *** or something may fail and you said you had the money and knowledge to fix it so i thought it could be a learning experience for everyone

Old 03-28-2009, 09:03 PM
blong2107
Senior User
Originally Posted by Blaster7Romeo
Well i am sorry if my attempt at humor offended you. But i would still like to see it because it will eather be bad *** or something may fail and you said you had the money and knowledge to fix it so i thought it could be a learning experience for everyone
I got ya like I said just a little on edge today I've been gettin pi#### all day. Yes I would like to know also. I'm tempted to run it but at the same time I'm reluctant that's why first off I wonder if anyone has rrun it without studs, as brickie said that will probably happen. However I do like to experiment and I may just do it and document how long, it any amount of time, it takes to do some damage. Also brickie, have you known someone to do this or is it just the sheer math and knowledge that leads you to this conclusion, or mayb just knowledge form Matt or a diesel tech?

Old 03-28-2009, 09:05 PM
brickie
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by blong2107
I got ya like I said just a little on edge today I've been gettin pi#### all day. Yes I would like to know also. I'm tempted to run it but at the same time I'm reluctant that's why first off I wonder if anyone has rrun it without studs, as brickie said that will probably happen. However I do like to experiment and I may just do it and document how long, it any amount of time, it takes to do some damage. Also brickie, have you known someone to do this or is it just the sheer math and knowledge that leads you to this conclusion, or mayb just knowledge form Matt or a diesel tech?
I know the guy that wrote it,he said not to do it.He sure wrote a sweet one for me.

Old 03-28-2009, 09:09 PM
blong2107
Senior User
Originally Posted by hangon2me
I run the ASE as my daily driver, I have no studs as of yet.
As for the power, I have "almost" to much with ASE (uncontrolled wheel spin)...To much power is just enough...LOL
At this point I think my heads will/may be alright as long as I watch
my EGT's and boost..
I have hammered it a few (several ) times, never seen hot Temps or high
boosts..
My thoughts are, the Transmission will/may fail first....
I was tempted trying Ulta Comp or Race, I do not trust the stock Transmission.
My Transmission already failed at 32,000 with a completely stock truck.
I will wait on installing studs and a sun coast Transmission before going above ASE..
So far wiht my personal experience I believe uyou may be correct on the tranny. I do run the HR on mine though and no probs as of yet. I think i may just have a freak truck tho. You ever heard of a "factory freak" lol I have been prone to haveing engines in any vehicle run better and longer and faster than they should so I enjoy whatever it is that i'm doing. So you had yer tranny go after only 32k?

Old 03-28-2009, 09:18 PM
dcaddi2
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I did run the Ultra Comp for a DD, but it probably wasn't me who mentioned it, because I have studs for a while now, and it's in my sig. You are not going to lift your heads right away when you start up your truck with it, and sure can drive in traffic with a light foot on the pedal, and you probably gonna be just fine. But if, then what is the UC doing in the truck right? They were written to be a racing tune. I never understand whoever runs a hot tune with a light foot, because there is no supporting mods in the truck. Then just find a tune, what was made for a truck like that, and enjoy it. Aha, curiosity comes in the picture. Everyone want to know how badazz the one step hotter program is, and just take it easy on the pedal. Than something goes....That's exactly how the "bad" stories are starting about the 6.0 and the programmers. It is obvious that the 6.0 has it's weak points, but which vehicle doesn't?
Anyways, back to the topic, Brickie is right, if you run through the gears on WOT, there is a big chance that you will blow the gaskets on a non-studded truck. I was having fun, racing, testing with the UltraComp program, watching the gauges and I have to say, that there is a really big chance to blow the gaskets. The highest boost I've seen with it was 38psi, and the EGT was around 1500. I doubt that the OEM bolts will handle that boost, and sure as h*ll your EGR cooler wont like the temp either.
Play as much as you like, do your experiments, and if you have the money set aside for the studs, go for it. Load up the UC, and give it to it. The only thing what I don't understand, why not install the studs, then run the UC. In that case you would make sure that your truck is ready. Why play with fire, if you have a chance to do it on a right way? Don't be sure, that you blow the gaskets, and gaskets only, with hot tunes! How about something else goes wrong?

Old 03-28-2009, 09:48 PM
blong2107
Senior User
Originally Posted by dcaddi2
I did run the Ultra Comp for a DD, but it probably wasn't me who mentioned it, because I have studs for a while now, and it's in my sig. You are not going to lift your heads right away when you start up your truck with it, and sure can drive in traffic with a light foot on the pedal, and you probably gonna be just fine. But if, then what is the UC doing in the truck right? They were written to be a racing tune. I never understand whoever runs a hot tune with a light foot, because there is no supporting mods in the truck. Then just find a tune, what was made for a truck like that, and enjoy it. Aha, curiosity comes in the picture. Everyone want to know how badazz the one step hotter program is, and just take it easy on the pedal. Than something goes....That's exactly how the "bad" stories are starting about the 6.0 and the programmers. It is obvious that the 6.0 has it's weak points, but which vehicle doesn't?
Anyways, back to the topic, Brickie is right, if you run through the gears on WOT, there is a big chance that you will blow the gaskets on a non-studded truck. I was having fun, racing, testing with the UltraComp program, watching the gauges and I have to say, that there is a really big chance to blow the gaskets. The highest boost I've seen with it was 38psi, and the EGT was around 1500. I doubt that the OEM bolts will handle that boost, and sure as h*ll your EGR cooler wont like the temp either.
Play as much as you like, do your experiments, and if you have the money set aside for the studs, go for it. Load up the UC, and give it to it. The only thing what I don't understand, why not install the studs, then run the UC. In that case you would make sure that your truck is ready. Why play with fire, if you have a chance to do it on a right way? Don't be sure, that you blow the gaskets, and gaskets only, with hot tunes! How about something else goes wrong?
That's exactly why I havent done it however I do have money and knowledge to fix whatever I "mess" up but i don not have the most important variable, i do not have time I work too much and yes I know that running thru the gears WFO will ruin gaskets but i'm not sure how long it would take I'm just curious for myself how much they can take, so far everything that i've givin it. No you were not the one I was talking bout it was the guy with the lifted 250. The luxury I have is that i have an extra 6.0 I'm fixin to buy so if I did try it and did anything terrible i'll have a back-up, this is only in the extreme I don't think i'll do anythin bad to it that will require a new engine... Thats IF IF IF i even do it, which i probably wont. Just would like more war stories. Thanks for the input what is yer favorite tune?

Quick Reply: spartan archived tunes who likes what?