Sponsored by:

Second Battery Location in a V-10

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 11:56 PM
shadowdd
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Second Battery Location in a V-10

Well, I just installed a second battery tray in the X. I had to move the vapor canister from the area by the air intake to the area below the air intake. It was a short move but made room for a battery that is the same size as the original. The power steering reservoir had to be moved further back a couple of inches to make room for the battery. Tormorrow I will get a second battery and mount it and run the cables. Here are some pictures of the results.

New battery location next to the air filter.

Top view

New power steering bracket.

Power steering bottom foot.

New vapor canistor location below the air filter just above the power steering gear box.

It took about 2 hours total time but is well worth it and very easy. What do you think?

Bryan

Old 02-16-2009, 04:20 AM
m350
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Looks like a great idea shadowdd ! Did you just order a 2nd battery box or a diesel or what?
I was thinking the same thing,,If and when I purchase a V-10 Ex. because I would put a plow on it,,,,and having the second battery as like in a diesel truck seem to make a difference,,,,,Nice Job!

Old 02-16-2009, 09:37 AM
shadowdd
Elder User
Originally Posted by m350
Looks like a great idea shadowdd ! Did you just order a 2nd battery box or a diesel or what?
I was thinking the same thing,,If and when I purchase a V-10 Ex. because I would put a plow on it,,,,and having the second battery as like in a diesel truck seem to make a difference,,,,,Nice Job!
It is actually a $10 battery tray from autozone but is the perfect size for the location. It has the hold downs and such but I don't have those in yet until I get the battery later today.

Bryan

Old 02-16-2009, 10:59 AM
6686L
Elder User
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by m350

2nd BATTERY IN A 'GASSER' ? ?

Looks like a great idea . . . . and having the second battery . . . like in a diesel truck seem to make a difference,,,,,Nice Job!
= = = = = = = =

O.K. I'll "bite"...what am I missing here ? What "difference" could there be adding a 2nd battery to a "gasser" like mine ?

My "gasser" is a '05 V-10 4wd LTD. It has one battery. One GOOD battery. When it had one BAD battery, I saw the need for another battery (would barely start if sat for more than a few days....So I first checked out the electrical system,( ruled out any "stray" voltage drain or alternator charging issues) , bought a new battery, and put it in place of the old BAD battery. Seems to make a difference (EX starts now).

Diesels have TWO batteries. They have TWO batteries because they are DIESELS. See, DIESELS have MUCH higher (about double) the compression ratio of gassers, so they take MUCH more electrical power to crank over.

As a "gasser" (again V-10 owner) I have to admit I am jealous of the vastly superior towing power of the diesels. Wish there was some practical way to get that additional towing power. Watching diesel EX's towing loads roughly equiv. to what I tow with my V-10, disappear in the distance as they pull ahead of me on those long up-grades here in the mountain west....sure wish I could make my V-10 "pull" like a diesel when towing (dont you diesel guys try and keep up with me when I am running "empty"...! )

So..what do you think - if I got a 2nd GOOD battery in my V-10, would that make it tow like a diesel ?

Last edited by 6686L; 02-16-2009 at 11:02 AM. Reason: i bees a pur spealer
Old 02-16-2009, 12:07 PM
Stealther
New User
*burp* nevermind!

Old 02-16-2009, 12:59 PM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
6686L.... what the heck are you rambling about?!?

The second battery is to handle the added electrical load that Bryan has in his truck. Form all the aftermarket electronic gadgets, to the electrical air pump for the suspension and horns.
Bryan, did you or do you have to get a higher output alternator?

Did the evap canister have to have anything lengthened or was there enough length in the hoses and such to make that move below the intake filter?

Old 02-16-2009, 02:33 PM
6686L
Elder User
Originally Posted by Monsta

6686L.... what the heck are you rambling about?!?

The second battery is to handle the added electrical load ........?
= = = = = = =

= = = = = = =

"rambling"...? Where you been...boy...this is a Internet forum!

People are SUPPOSED to ramble. What are you suggesting...that people THINK and try and LEARN the actual technological FACTS about what they are blabbing about...?

Here's my problem with this thread's theory about "electrical load". Assuming he has a REAL EX with a WORKING "bone stock" alternator, he has over 100 amps to play with. (just out of idle curiosity, do stock "EX" diesels have larger capacity alternators than my "gasser" EX?

My air pump pulls about 10 amps. EVERYTHING else running full tilt (front and rear air. condit., lighting, etc...adds another 30 or so amps.

Now, this fellow MAY have a need to disturb people for hundreds of feet around him with one of those "thumper" type stereo systems - if so, he may be using some of the largest amplifiers they sell for large public events - might pull another, oh, maybe 25 amps for a really extreme system .

So, here's the problem - actually, TWO problems.

1) I am unable to come up with a scenario by which you could come CLOSE to using up the capacity of the bone stock alternator in modern Ford truck-based products. Maybe you know about special "high load" situations I have no experience with ? ? ?

2) If you DO have a need to pull very more than a 100 amp. load, well, adding batteries isnt going to help, for two reasons
a) as you point out, he is going to need a bigger alternator. Batteries
dont MAKE electricity, they only store it.
b) he is probably going to want a fire estinguisher........if he
pulls a load of much over 100 amps thru a EX's electrical
system, he is going to need one....!

Old 02-16-2009, 02:50 PM
alchymist
"Mifflin Clay"

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Having a second battery comes in handy when running a winch or an inverter for 110V AC power.
Couple suggestions ....if you're gonna run two 12v batteries in parallel, you might consider installing 2 new identical ones. Paralleling a new and and old one don't always work out well. Another consideration, if you're gonna replace both, consider two heavy duty 6 volt truck batteries in series. JMHO,as always.

"Marines I see as two breeds, Rottweilers or Dobermans, because Marines come in two varieties, big and mean, or skinny and mean. They're aggressive on the attack and tenacious on defense. They've got really short hair and they always go for the throat."
-RAdm. "Jay" R. Stark, USN

Old 02-16-2009, 02:55 PM
Sooper-Doodie
Senior User
Originally Posted by 6686L

a) as you point out, he is going to need a bigger alternator. Batteries

dont MAKE electricity, they only store it.
Taken from University of Wisconsin's database:

"Lead-acid batteries are physically large batteries that contain lead plates in a solution of acid to create electricity. "

Taken from: How Lead Acid Batteries Work

Available Capacity versus Total Capacity
Since batteries depend on a chemical reaction to produce electricity, their Available Capacity depends in part on how quickly you attempt to charge or discharge them relative to their Total Capacity. The Total Capacity is frequently abbreviated to C and is a measure of how much energy the battery can store. Available Capacity is always less than Total Capacity

Old 02-16-2009, 03:29 PM
alchymist
"Mifflin Clay"

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Com'on, guys, this is mostly semantics you're debating -

..See? Guns don't kill people, people kill people. Guns defend people against people with smaller guns.

Old 02-16-2009, 03:32 PM
m350
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
: WHAT-EVER,,,If the man wants to add a second battery to his V-10 Excursion,,,I see it as a Good idea!

Why,,I have had plows on my last 5 trucks
76 F-250-390
95' F-350 PS 7.3
99' F-350 PS 7.3
04' F-350 V-10
06' F-350 6.0
When plowing with a gas truck,, one battery, it already is drawing a good amount with lights, heater/defroster, wipers, strobe, back-up lights etc,,now lift/angle a modern plow,,lights dim,,blower/heater slows,really notice it.

Plowing with my last 3 Diesel trucks,,hence 2 batteries,,,I think around 130 amp alt,,,snow plow package,,you notice very little draw on lights heater etc, when using the plow,,,sure notice some,,but nothing like what I recall seeing with my gas truck single battery setups.

I think we all know that a Diesel has more compression then a gas job,,,and we also know that Glow-Plugs take alot of juice also,,,But is this the only reason to have a second battery, in a Truck or Excursion,,,,NOT !

Old 02-16-2009, 03:36 PM
6686L
Elder User
Yeah - there's something I didn't think of that DOES pull a lot of power. An invertor. Like the one in my boat. Capable of providing over 4,000 watts. It alone pulls close to 80 amps when fully loaded.

So, I have to back up a little. If this guy is living in his EX, and needs to run a whole house-load worth of electricity, yes, in that case, he does need TWO alternators like I have on my boat, and, oh..let' see..on my boat I have FOUR Group 28 batteries...makes sense now....

Oh..for the guy who THINKS he read an article claiming that batteries "make" electricity ? Well..read the article a little more carefully. It CORRECTLY points out how lead-acid batteries work.

Now - about plows. Good point - I dont know anything about them. I presume the blade is raised and lowered by some kind of electric motor, running either a gear train of some sort, or a hydraulic pump. I am way out of my experience level here, so i have NO clue how much current that would draw. I could GUESS and say around 30 amps for the largest pump motors I would imagine they'd use, but I'd just be guessing.

Old 02-16-2009, 03:42 PM
Sooper-Doodie
Senior User
Oh..for the guy who THINKS he read an article claiming that batteries "make" electricity ? Well..read the article a little more carefully. It CORRECTLY points out how lead-acid batteries work.
I did, and I'm still right.

They PRODUCE and STORE electricity.

Old 02-16-2009, 04:22 PM
eatfish
Senior User
Why don't they produce energy when they are dead? The last I knew, I had to put it in there with a charger or alternator, store it as chemical energy, and retrieve it when I needed it.

Old 02-16-2009, 04:26 PM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
The chemical reaction INTIALLY creates electricity.

However, I'm sure Bryan has added the additional battery for reserves. Hopefully he'll chime back in.

"rambling"...? Where you been...boy...this is a Internet forum!

People are SUPPOSED to ramble. What are you suggesting...that people THINK and try and LEARN the actual technological FACTS about what they are blabbing about...?

Course none of your "ramblin'" did that. It was something about diesel power, towing

Quick Reply: Second Battery Location in a V-10