Sponsored by: DP Tuner

AIS intake

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 11:41 PM
DND58
Laughing Gas
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
AIS intake

I am looking to replace stock air intake on my truck. I know many are 6637 fans, but I am leaning towards the AIS intake. I like the stock look, filtering efficiency, and aparent lack of noise or drone. The thing that concerns me is the reports of the filter minder pulling in with known clean filters. Is this a common occurrence?

To the AIS crowd, are you happy with it, and would you do it again?

Thanks

Old 02-16-2009, 11:58 PM
HighOctane
PMS: an obsession

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the AIS and quite like it. Mine at first used to pull the filterminder, but folks on this site showed me how to correct that issue. There is a little rubber flap near where you do the Zoodad mod, and it sticks out like a 1/2 inch tops, but removing this tiny flap actually allows your filterminder to work correctly. Not that that thing is really that great to begin with.
I also used to have a 6637, and the darth vader sounds were kinda cool, but the noise just got to me after a while. Towing would have been a nightmare I am thinking.

Old 02-17-2009, 12:38 AM
mndiesel
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AIS here as well and I have never had a problem with the filter minder. 30k+miles

Old 02-17-2009, 05:06 AM
leekingen
Senior User
i'm going with the 6.0 air intake.it's like the asi and it will take some modification to work. i think it is cheapest way to go if you can fiend one around. e-bay chrages list car-parts.com.

Old 02-17-2009, 05:42 AM
jdecker88
Post Fiend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The AIS is a great system from the ones I have looked at. But the 6.0 air intake I believe isn't worth the trouble compared to the AIS and the filters are the same price.

Old 02-17-2009, 07:44 AM
rbaker6336
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have had the AIS on my truck for almost two years and am happy with it

Old 02-17-2009, 07:46 AM
farmdad
Posting Guru
I've had the AIS for 3 years and am happy with it. Did do the Zoodad and flapper mod after the filterminder activated a couple times but haven't had issues with it since. With hard towing, it may move a little but never fully. I, too, didn't want the turbo noise so preferred the AIS.

Just for information, the parts dept. at the local dealership said that Ford has a heater for the filter on the new 6.4l engines for the guys who plow snow. Snow gets to the filter and causes it to plug. The heater melts the snow.....? I started thinking about the Zoodad mod and wondered if it would allow snow to enter the filter like the 6.4? I don't plow snow so haven't had any experience with this. Has anyone who plows snow done the Zoodad and had issues with it?

Old 02-17-2009, 08:13 AM
Ponyboychris
Hit it!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by DND58
I am looking to replace stock air intake on my truck. I know many are 6637 fans, but I am leaning towards the AIS intake. I like the stock look, filtering efficiency, and aparent lack of noise or drone. The thing that concerns me is the reports of the filter minder pulling in with known clean filters. Is this a common occurrence?

To the AIS crowd, are you happy with it, and would you do it again?

Thanks
i had it for three+ years and love it. the filter minder pulled once but I was running really hard with my DP Tuner so it was more of the tunes than anything. Just reset it and no worries.

Originally Posted by farmdad
I've had the AIS for 3 years and am happy with it. Did do the Zoodad and flapper mod after the filterminder activated a couple times but haven't had issues with it since. With hard towing, it may move a little but never fully. I, too, didn't want the turbo noise so preferred the AIS.

Just for information, the parts dept. at the local dealership said that Ford has a heater for the filter on the new 6.4l engines for the guys who plow snow. Snow gets to the filter and causes it to plug. The heater melts the snow.....? I started thinking about the Zoodad mod and wondered if it would allow snow to enter the filter like the 6.4? I don't plow snow so haven't had any experience with this. Has anyone who plows snow done the Zoodad and had issues with it?
I never had any issues with snow, rain or anything else blocking the zoodad tunnel to the AIS. And I've driven in some blizzards and downpours. I have a screen on my opening but nothing else. I don't know how the 6.4's are plumbed so I cannot say why they are having trouble. My 2 cents.

Old 02-17-2009, 08:28 AM
jeff7825
Posting Guru
Another vote for the AIS. I've had mine for a little over a year now and have not had a problem with the filter minder. Is there suppose to be a plug for that thing? If there is, I don't have one on mine.

Old 02-17-2009, 09:47 AM
USAF CCM
Elder User
I installed my AIS back in 2003. I've never had to worry about dusting my turbo or engine components since. Last July I had Jody DP Live Tune my truck, he said I'd start tripping the filter clogged light and he was right.

My filterminder was constantly pegging out and tripping the light. What was more concerning was seeing a lot of black smoke on acceleration and feeling a loss of power.

I finally decided to do the ZooDad mod with a 1/4 wire screen cover over the hole, cut into the side of my AIS housing and add the fender sleeve. WOW! What a difference, no smoke, more power and the filterminder hasn't moved at all. Great filtration, quite (I like to listen to my stereo), and now more air into the motor! Best of Success! V/r Les

Old 02-17-2009, 09:52 AM
nlemerise
Logistics Pro
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Here is a link to a thread on the tripping of the filterminder and a solution...

Old 02-17-2009, 10:38 AM
Ponyboychris
Hit it!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I forgot about the filter sleeve mod. That should take care of any issues if you have them.

Old 02-17-2009, 10:04 PM
SC_Dave
Tuned
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Go with the AIS and never look back. I did and I love it!

David

Old 02-18-2009, 12:24 PM
madjak
Elder User

When I bought my truck used, it had the AIS intake. Great filtration and never had a problem with the filter minder. I had thought about buying a 6637 just to try it, but I figured I better stay with what I know works.

Old 02-18-2009, 12:32 PM
clux
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jdecker88
The AIS is a great system from the ones I have looked at. But the 6.0 air intake I believe isn't worth the trouble compared to the AIS and the filters are the same price.
Just wondering where you get the AIS filters for the same price as the 6.0. The best price I have ever seen is about $20 more than the I can get the 6.0 filters for.

Quick Reply: AIS intake