Exhaust questions?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 07:33 PM
1972fordf-100
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exhaust questions?

Hello all,
Right now I am rebuilding my 360 in my 72 ford pickup when its done it will be a 390 thanks to all of the helpful tips and tricks from alot of people on here.(sorry I don't remember names well) But now im thinking ahead to exhaust. I have heard that these fe manifolds aren't the best for getting rid of heat and exhaust gasses so im thinking of an upgrade to headers like mentioned before by a user here who recommended it here. I found a pair of hedmen longtube headers kit for 177.00 thru a mail order parts place. Im unfamiliar with header companies but I believe hedmens good right? If not I have seen hooker and flowtech have some headers that I don't think i'd mind investing in. Anyway moving on down the line I am looking at mufflers as well and have been turned onto magnaflow mufflers not too loud but loud enough for me. What do you think? As well im hoping to go true duals as well.

Old 02-12-2009, 07:37 PM
1972fordf-100
Junior User
Whoops almost forgot I would like to keep my tubing size stock to cut down on costs as well as space when routing the pipe before the tires.

Old 02-15-2009, 06:23 PM
New User
What are you after,mpg or power,remember. Headers work best at 4k rpm and over,these are low rpm torque,truck motors,headers are over advertized cure alls.long term problems,run stock,if servicable,great power,i never run wot anyhow, love part throtle response,even duels do little when your driving. No improvment anytime i put duals on anything, it, s a song called,,step right up,, the cost of headers is the 1st 20%,try it you'll see. Also ,go look at a tractor engine. Built to last..is it pipe or skillet iron?

Old 02-15-2009, 06:53 PM
Danger_Dave
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
be very careful which headers you buy. on these trucks installation can be a total nightmare on the passenger side, and getting the starter to fit can be a pita too.

Old 02-15-2009, 07:10 PM
New User
Ditto on danger dave ..go stock if you can.as i said,cost of headers is only 20% of total $$
it don't help'

Old 02-15-2009, 11:53 PM
1972fordf-100
Junior User
Originally Posted by 9836
What are you after,mpg or power,remember. Headers work best at 4k rpm and over,these are low rpm torque,truck motors,headers are over advertized cure alls.long term problems,run stock,if servicable,great power,i never run wot anyhow, love part throtle response,even duels do little when your driving. No improvment anytime i put duals on anything, it, s a song called,,step right up,, the cost of headers is the 1st 20%,try it you'll see. Also ,go look at a tractor engine. Built to last..is it pipe or skillet iron?
I guess what im after is long term wear and a better sound power isn't the greatest concern i'd like a little more but if I can't get it I don't mind. I have heard the nightmare stories with headers on any engine (warped flanges bolts working loose) but I think these companies have done their homework on them. From what I read here the stock fe manifolds don't cut it very restrictive and they don't last too long from what I have seen and heard. I know these headers are pricey the hooker headers are the most expensive 176.00 for the set and it doesn't even come with gaskets or special mounting bolts like the hedmens do.

Old 02-15-2009, 11:58 PM
1972fordf-100
Junior User
Originally Posted by Danger_Dave
be very careful which headers you buy. on these trucks installation can be a total nightmare on the passenger side, and getting the starter to fit can be a pita too.
Thanks dave that is one concern I had as well the starter might pose a problem. Funny I was also thinking the drivers side as well since all my powersteering components look to be taking up a huge chunk on that side of the compartment. These Headers Im looking at say they are ford truck headers so im wondering if they spaced them away from the starter and made them small enough to fit in the compartment without much hassle. As well what Im thinking of doing is gettig the header wrap system to keep the heat down. I guess what I also need to know is if I need to go with long tube or short tube headers?

Old 02-16-2009, 12:58 AM
1977f150xlt
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
hi Richard its me Brent! lol lol i just had to add my 5 dollars in, as you know i got headers on my truck, i was going to use full length headers from flowtech, but they where built for a 67-79 302w/351w ford trucks that are rear wheel drive, that was fine and dandy till i got the mint 77 4x4 f-150 shortbox frame, then my truck went from rearwheel drive to 4x4, which was huge head aches for my flowtech headers! i had to sell them and take a loss of 50 bucks! then i was really looking for headers, since full length headers would not work since the front driveshaft would run into the drivers side header! also as a lot of guys on here know ford never made 302w 4x4 trucks till the 80s and i am breaking the rules with my truck! and my truck is so custom they don't even carry headers for it! since ford never did it in the 70s, and the 80s 4x4 headers would not work trust me i looked at that path so i went to a set of 80s mustang 5.0 shorty headers, i got them for 30 bucks, and there stock ford headers, they fit like a glove and they clear the starter and the steering on the drivers side, and i know there built tough since there stock ford! and they are made of a really thick metal for headers and they seem really rust proof! and i know there short, but we plan on bending some stainless steel pipe to meet them, then out the sides, right infront of each rear tire! with some nice angled stainless tips!, oh and go stainless steel on all the exhaust pipes, trust me! you skimp on that you will be replacing it soon enough! and it will cost you more in the end, put stainless steel pipes and it will last way way longer than regular steel pipe trust me my dad has been doing exhaust for 20+ years on the side and on Saturdays at the mufflerman (local exhaust/mechanic garages) and he has seen and done countless exhaust systems on pintos to superdutys to mustangs to everything in between! and magnaflows are your best bet for mufflers, they give the most flow and the best sound from what i hear, and i am pretty sure all magnaflows are made of stainless steel and made in the good ole U.S.A! oh and make sure they use stainless steel hangers and fasteners on your exhaust, oh and i am not sure if you are bending up the exhaust or is a local garage? and make sure you keep the old pipe for a rough guide! oh and don't put no stinking catalytic converter, a lot of shops will try and trick ya into one, but our trucks are way to old to need them, plus they ruin sound and mpg and flow, and power, and they are a cost you don't need

my advice on headers, if you are worried about clearance go with shorty headers, they can always bend up pipe to meet the headers, then the shop has to worry about clearances! not your headers! and 10 times outta 10 you can't return the headers since its a performance part, at least that's the way it is around here, good luck Richard and glad to hear your 360 is getting closer to 390! you really need a new air cleaner! but thats just me, or at least repaint your stock one and put a 390 sticker on it! , and the black undercoating in the engine bay sounds cool, is it black? i am going to do the same thing, what kind of coating did ya use? (what company?) did it go on good? i have to cover the engine up since i failed to do it when the engine was out! and i can't wait to hear that 390 roar!!!

oh and you headers should last a along time, i have heard header wrap can cause heat spots in the headers? and also it can allow rust to form since the wrap holds in moisture? i know this is super expensive, but go with stainless steel headers? i have no idea on there cost, i imagine mega bucks, but standard headers should be fine for many years! and i would go with a product made in the U.S.A., i may live in Canada, but i either want a product made in Canada, or the good ole U.S.A.! the best products are North American built! if it says china or asia run run run!!!!!!! also try Edelbrock for headers, i know they make amazing intakes and carbs, and you can trust there manufacturing factory for good quality, i was luck to score stock ford headers off a 80s 5.0 mustang, too bad you can't do the same

anyways this is a huge post, but it should clear a lot up, and i am sure more members will post there 2 cents and more! lol lol

also keep the old stock manifolds!!!! i can't stress that any more!!! you don't know if you ever want to put them back on! and i would hate to see ya dump them in the scrap bin! put those 360 exhaust manifolds in storage with that old ford carb in a box! and keep the old 2 barrel carb too! i would even go as far as keeping the old heavy cast iron intake! that stuff is vintage ford iron! and a family heirloom!

-Brent

Old 02-16-2009, 12:59 AM
1977f150xlt
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
that is huge!!!! i had no idea! lol lol i hit post and bang!

-Brent

Old 02-16-2009, 09:09 PM
Ford 67 Ford
Senior User
I've got some Thorley long tubes on my 390 for probably 8 yrs. or so, I do remember some kind of clearance issue on one side by the collector but they've been leak free and solid for all this time, don't know if Thorley is still around but I would recommend those also got Flowmaster 3 chambers on there on true duals and still sound good to me.

Old 02-18-2009, 03:25 PM
clutter
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you are a DIYer and have even moderate skills at welding I have a suggestion for you. I purchased an X-pipe kit from Summit Racing. With a little planning and welding I installed it with relative ease. The greatist part was the price. The lowest priced shop wasn't even close on straight duals much less adding in a x-over pipe. I have not started my engine yet but expect great sound as I have heard the kit on a comparable truck.

Old 02-26-2009, 11:46 PM
1972fordf-100
Junior User
Originally Posted by Ford 67 Ford
I've got some Thorley long tubes on my 390 for probably 8 yrs. or so, I do remember some kind of clearance issue on one side by the collector but they've been leak free and solid for all this time, don't know if Thorley is still around but I would recommend those also got Flowmaster 3 chambers on there on true duals and still sound good to me.
Do you remember the clearance issues you had? From what I read on the fe fourm my biggest concern would be the starter. Some said they just bent the collectors out and they got away with it? I have heard of thorley headers but havent seen a set at summit yet I could be wrong though.

Old 02-27-2009, 12:21 AM
Ford 67 Ford
Senior User
The starter was no problem, but one of the collectors was hitting the crossmember so the shop just cut it and repositioned it to clear.

Old 02-27-2009, 08:24 AM
CN Spots
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a set of full length Hedmans on my 390. The starter was a challenge but everything else fit fine. As soon as my starter was in I put a thermal sleeve on it from Summit. If you have an automatic, whoever does the exhaust may need to get creative around the shift linkage too.

Old 02-27-2009, 09:45 PM
1972fordf-100
Junior User
Originally Posted by CN Spots
I have a set of full length Hedmans on my 390. The starter was a challenge but everything else fit fine. As soon as my starter was in I put a thermal sleeve on it from Summit. If you have an automatic, whoever does the exhaust may need to get creative around the shift linkage too.
Thanks for the info I do have a c-6 automatic in that truck. I guess my next question is how much do you guys think this endavor will cost me I already know about 200.00 for headers and magnaflow mufflers but pipes/labor is what I think I need to account for next.

Quick Reply: Exhaust questions?