General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

got fired for refusing overtime

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 11:53 AM
35l911
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
for the past 2years and 2 months i've without breaks and forced to eat while driving. mostly potato chips and mcnuggets

Old 02-13-2009, 12:11 PM
websthes
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You should have quit when you wrecked your first truck. Even if you have a good night and make a few tips, all your money's going to go right back into your truck. Maybe not now. But down the road when you need a new starter, or brakes.

Old 02-13-2009, 12:19 PM
00BlueOvalRanger
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 35l911
1) i cant work for more than 8 houres because of medical conditions which have me taking med that cause drowsyness(pain killers)
2)at DLLR they gave me a paper with labor laws for MD and one of them stated the fact if your over 18 the company dost not have to provide you with a break unless speifyed under the company policy I've tried to file a complaint to the DLLR on the company.

Item #1.
I'm surprised that you are allowed to drive (on the job) IF you are taking any medications that cause drowsiness.
Your employer could be held responsible in the event that you have an accident while representing them (which you are, by making deliveries).

Item #2.
I'd like to see that 'paper'.

Here's the ultimate bottom line, in my not-so-humble opinion.
When you cussed your employer, you lost the battle and that's what cost you, your job.
You showed that you are a 'hot head' and lost the battle.

If someone that reports to me. . . 'cusses me'. . . you can bet that they just made it onto my 'defecation list'.
I cover the backs of those that report to me. No, I'm not management, nor do I have 'hire/fire/discipline' authority. But, I DO have the authority to let someone take vacation, go home early, come in late, go take their kid to the doctor, take an extra 15-20 minutes for lunch so they can shop for groceries, etc., without penalty of time.
If I get cussed. . . . they've shown me that they have no respect for me or my position, and therefor, it's "Live by the 'book'. . . die by the 'book'.

Here's my last thoughts.

Don't let your mouth write any checks that your (donkey) or feet can't cash.
It's time to move on. Literally.

Old 02-13-2009, 12:25 PM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
A good friend of mine picked up a part time job delivering pizzas. He works 3 nights a week and an 8 to 9 hour saturday. Roughly 25 to 30 hours a week. He makes sub minimum wage, and his witholding taxes are based off min wage. He makes around $1400.00 under the table on average per month. This is of course over and above his full-time job. If he paid the taxes on the un-reported money, it wouldn't be worth it, in my opinion. This of course doesn't take into account the added fuel and maintenance he needs to do on his car. Of course, he can claim some deductions on his taxes for the use of his car.

Old 02-13-2009, 01:21 PM
Old93junk
Post Fiend
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by ghunt
What does overtime as a delivery driver get you though?

You sure as hell don't get any time and a half.
You got a point there. I was speaking from a "real" job standpoint. He needs to just chalk this one up to experience and move on..............BTW, I have worked 24 hrs straight when the plant was down, and would do it without hesitation anytime asked. OT becomes my "play money"!

Old 02-13-2009, 01:33 PM
35l911
Senior User
ok thanks for the advice i'll still look for a job but i won't use dominos pizza as a refrence anymore.

Old 02-13-2009, 01:53 PM
quaddriver
Cargo Master
this occured in MD right? MD is the worst damn state.....they can shorten, lengthen or outright move shifts at will with no notification....

Old 02-13-2009, 02:04 PM
FarmForward
Postmaster
Cussing out your boss makes it a whole new ballgame... doing that established cause for dismissal, and gave them grounds to fight your getting unemployment compensation. Not using them as a reference is a good idea. You're young, which is in your favour, and there is time for you to find new employment. Get out there and pound the pavement, and this time, look for something that fits you better. Taking meds and having a curfew on how much you can drive your truck, I'd say maybe it's not in your best interest to be looking for jobs as a driver.

Old 02-13-2009, 03:00 PM
BillC
Elder User

for the past 2years and 2 months i've without breaks and forced to eat while driving. mostly potato chips and mcnuggets
The working world is going to be a big shock to you when you get out in it!

Old 02-13-2009, 04:46 PM
00BlueOvalRanger
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1) i cant work for more than 8 houres because of medical conditions which have me taking med that cause drowsyness(pain killers)
2)at DLLR they gave me a paper with labor laws for MD and one of them stated the fact if your over 18 the company dost not have to provide you with a break unless speifyed under the company policy I've tried to file a complaint to the DLLR on the company.
FWIW, I stand corrected.

I found this, after perusing the MD DLLR website that I had posted, earlier.

http://www.dllr.state.md.us/labor/wagepay/wplunchbreaks.

Division of Labor and Industry
The Maryland Guide to Wage Payment and Employment Standards -
Pay for Lunch and Other Breaks
<CENTER><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="96%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left width="100%" colSpan=3> </TD></TR><TR><TD align=left width="100%" colSpan=3>There is no law requiring an employer to provide breaks, including lunch breaks, for workers 18 years old or older (See section VI. D.). An employer who chooses to provide a break, however, does not have to pay wages for lunch periods or other breaks in excess of 20 minutes where the employee is free to leave the worksite (or workstation if leaving the workplace is physically impractical), in fact takes their lunch or break (whether freely choosing to leave or remain at the worksite), and the employee does not actually perform work. If employees are told their pay will be reduced each day by one-half hour for lunch, and they are not free to take this lunch period without an expectation or reasonable understanding that they must work or be on hand to work, they must be paid for the time. A "reasonable understanding" that they must work or be on hand to work is a condition in which it is generally known, or the employee reasonably believes, that failure to perform work (or be available "on hand" to perform work) during their break, will result in some negative effect on employment.
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
</CENTER><CENTER> </CENTER>
The Maryland Guide to Wage Payment and Employment Standards -
Employer Discretion in the Workplace: Employment-At-Will -
Breaks, Benefits and Days Off
<CENTER><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="96%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left width="100%" colSpan=3> </TD></TR><TR><TD align=left width="100%" colSpan=3>* There is no law requiring an employer to provide breaks, including lunch breaks, unless the employee is under the age of 18. Minors under 18 must receive a 30 minute break for every 5 hours of work. In addition, state law does not guarantee days off for holidays or any special holiday pay for private sector employees, except an unpaid religious day of rest each week for retail employees who give prior written notice to their employers.
* Maryland law does not require the award of benefits. Examples include vacation leave, sick leave, compensatory time, holidays and holiday pay, health and life insurance, bonuses, severance pay, etc. The right to claim benefits only arises through a prior agreement of the parties.
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></CENTER>

Old 02-13-2009, 08:42 PM
ididntdoit99
Elder User
First of all.. I find it kind of funny that a thread about losing a job at Dominos has gone on this long BUT let me add my 2 cents...

so my grandmother did me a favor and bought the truck but i have to make the payments.
If I bought a truck for someone else, I'd be telling them to work a the overtime they could get, I want to make sure you make that payment.

on the applaication ther was no manditory overtime specified or a contract stating i have to work overtime .
You work in a restaurant... this is really a given, if somebody doesn't show up for work they don't just close the place down for the night.

and all of you who said i should have worked overtime have you drivin more than 8 hours without falling asleep behind the wheel I have, i woke up in a ditch in my 84-f150. I never got a break because in MD once your over 18 they can work you all day long without a break.
Are you serious??? You're a pizza delivery guy... I worked in a pizza joint for 6 years, all through high school and college. When you deliver pizza your whole night is a break. All you do is drive around, listen to music, and get out of the car and ring a doorbell, and maybe do some dishes when you get back to the store.

Obviously, you're still young, don't be worrying about wasting time trying to get unemployment.... just get out there and find another job. Jobs are a dime a dozen when you're young. There's still pizza hut, godfathers, little ceasers, papa johns, papa murphy's, or whatever pizza places you got around you.

Old 02-14-2009, 12:36 AM
mercman86
Elder User
Kind of on the same token, my girlfriend was fired from her job for refusing a promotion believe it or not. I dont remember the exact reason why but all i know is that she was a model employee and didn't deserve to be fired for that!

Old 02-14-2009, 01:46 PM
BradyCouchman
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
so i dont know about MD but here in Cali if a old job says anything about you other then you worked there you have a legal right to sue them for lost wages. when people called me for reference on some of my old employees they would always ask all kinds of questions but all i would say is that yes they worked here and no they do not work here now. but here in cali employees have many many more rights then employers do.

Old 02-15-2009, 08:04 AM
daddio360
Senior User
I think this whole episode is just a "sign of the times."

Ordinarily, it's not that easy to hang onto a reliable fast food employee, especially one willing to use his vehicle without having expenses reimbursed. My son "walked away" from a similar job once; after adding up all his expenses, it just wasn't worth it.

If refusing OT on a single occassion was truly the only issue that caused your firing, it is probably only because your employer has dozens (if not hundreds) of applicants willing to take your place, perhaps even at lower pay. In better economic times it is doubtful that one incident alone would have cost anyone that type of job.

As others have said, there are plenty of jobs where OT is simply forbidden lately, and workers are not even able to get their full week in, so that should work to your favor.