Tranny Temp Gauge?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 10:48 PM
moosesp
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tranny Temp Gauge?

Hi everyone,

I have noticed on my 2009 that the tranny temp guage seems inconsistant. Sometimes the guage shows that the tranny heats up quickly and sometimes it doesn't seem to heat up very fast at all. It almost seems that the guage is not reading some days. I have only had the truck for one week and am still monitoring it. It has been a fairly consistant temp outside so I have ruled out the outside temp change. Some of the time the tranny seems to heat up very fast and other times is seems to take its time. Is this possibly a sensor issue or a gauge issue. I am currently monitoring it and would like some input before the dealer sees it for warranty.

Thank You,

Old 02-09-2009, 08:26 AM
Bsimmer3000
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by moosesp
Hi everyone,

I have noticed on my 2009 that the tranny temp guage seems inconsistant. Sometimes the guage shows that the tranny heats up quickly and sometimes it doesn't seem to heat up very fast at all. It almost seems that the guage is not reading some days. I have only had the truck for one week and am still monitoring it. It has been a fairly consistant temp outside so I have ruled out the outside temp change. Some of the time the tranny seems to heat up very fast and other times is seems to take its time. Is this possibly a sensor issue or a gauge issue. I am currently monitoring it and would like some input before the dealer sees it for warranty.

Thank You,
Mine does this but it all depends on outside temp. I have noticed that even with a 5f difference the tranny temp takes quit a bit longer to warm up to normal. It takes even longer when it gets 30 below outside.

Old 02-09-2009, 02:32 PM
galaxyfe
Freshman User
I'm guessing you've never had anything with a tranny temp gauge?? Well, from the looks of it and all the '09's I've driven, it looks as if Ford actually installed a real gauge and not just an idiot light with a needle instead of a lightbulb.

Tranny temps vary, sometimes drastically, depending on how the truck is driven, what gear it's in, load/weight of the truck, and most importantly (or the biggest influence) the locked or unlocked status of the torque converter. When the TC is unlocked such as first taking off, accelerating, pulling a heavy load, etc, it generates a lot of heat. That can be translated to the temp gauge and is sometimes pretty instantaneous. After the condition changes, the temps can drop off pretty fast, and also instantaneous.

My recommendation would be to give it some time and just watch it and learn how it operates and what's normal for your truck. Don't focus on the sporatic temps or rate of change, just see if it's consistent with your driving style.

I am actually very very surprised they went this route because they will most likely get a lot of guys back in complaining that my "tranny temp jumps around all over the place all the time" when it's actually normal.

Ford used to have real oil pressure gauges in vehicles several years back, but oil pressure fluctuates normally with rpm, temp, etc and people were doing just what I said above...thus the introduction of the idiot light with a needle instead of a light bulb.

Old 02-09-2009, 06:16 PM
04 FX4 Lineman
Elder User
Also in the 4 spd. trannys ford has a restricter valve in the cooling lines which restricts flow until the tranny gets to a pre determined temp not sure if the 6spd. is the same or not but they do not want the tranny to run too cold either?????

Old 02-09-2009, 10:00 PM
moosesp
Junior User
Originally Posted by galaxyfe
I'm guessing you've never had anything with a tranny temp gauge?? Well, from the looks of it and all the '09's I've driven, it looks as if Ford actually installed a real gauge and not just an idiot light with a needle instead of a lightbulb.

Tranny temps vary, sometimes drastically, depending on how the truck is driven, what gear it's in, load/weight of the truck, and most importantly (or the biggest influence) the locked or unlocked status of the torque converter. When the TC is unlocked such as first taking off, accelerating, pulling a heavy load, etc, it generates a lot of heat. That can be translated to the temp gauge and is sometimes pretty instantaneous. After the condition changes, the temps can drop off pretty fast, and also instantaneous.

My recommendation would be to give it some time and just watch it and
learn how it operates and what's normal for your truck. Don't focus on the sporatic temps or rate of change, just see if it's consistent with your driving style.

I am actually very very surprised they went this route because they will most likely get a lot of guys back in complaining that my "tranny temp jumps around all over the place all the time" when it's actually normal.

Ford used to have real oil pressure gauges in vehicles several years back, but oil pressure fluctuates normally with rpm, temp, etc and people were doing just what I said above...thus the introduction of the idiot light with a needle instead of a light bulb.
Thanks for the input. I actually just sold a Duramax diesel with the allison tranny and a tranny temp gauge. So I know how they act on that particular unit. I am monitoring is closely and will take it in if it seems totally abnormal. It does move around alot more then the temps on the Allison tranny but this is like comparing apples to oranges. Again thank you for the input and it makes me feel alot better with the temps fluctuating like they are. Anyone else who is also observing this please chime in.

Old 02-11-2009, 02:32 AM
Jason Lewis
Posting Guru
You wont get a real reading unless you install a aftermarket gauge never trust the fancy electronic display readings.

Unless the new F-1'S HAVE A REAL GAUGE DID THAY PUT A REAL OIL PRESSURE Gauge in to?

Old 02-11-2009, 07:57 AM
Bsimmer3000
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Jason Lewis
You wont get a real reading unless you install a aftermarket gauge never trust the fancy electronic display readings.

Unless the new F-1'S HAVE A REAL GAUGE DID THAY PUT A REAL OIL PRESSURE Gauge in to?
I pulled my trailer up some mountain climbs that lasted about 5 mins which were very step and gauge did climb but went down pretty quick after i stopped. It does seem to ajust with temp

Old 02-11-2009, 08:43 AM
galaxyfe
Freshman User
Originally Posted by 04 FX4 Lineman
Also in the 4 spd. trannys ford has a restricter valve in the cooling lines which restricts flow until the tranny gets to a pre determined temp not sure if the 6spd. is the same or not but they do not want the tranny to run too cold either?????
I would really call it a restrictor valve...it's a thermostat. I redirects the fluid back to the tranny until the fluid gets warm enough to open to allow the fluid to flow to the cooler...but I know what you're sayin. And yes, they did this because an auto tranny can run too cool!

Old 02-11-2009, 05:53 PM
04 FX4 Lineman
Elder User
Thats it galaxy did they do the same thing on the new 6 spds?????

Old 03-13-2009, 05:54 PM
moosesp
Junior User
Just wondering if anyone else is experiencing this! I am on another forum and other people have had similar issues.

Old 03-13-2009, 06:08 PM
pkvir
Senior User
Just wondering if anyone else is experiencing this! I am on another forum and other people have had similar issues.
Mine does it too.

Old 03-14-2009, 03:41 PM
aliasmax
Freshman User
some times my tranny temp needle will go up about 1/8 inch and stay there untill i hit the brakes, then it drops down as if ignition is off and stays there. Other times the needle goes up about a third of the way on freeway and city driving. something ain't right.