Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 10:11 AM
giantkillerracing
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VHS to DVD upgrade

Hi Guys,

I have a 2000 Excursion limited.

It has the factory (AudioVox) VHS player under the seat and the overhead Screen.

A few questions from the A/V gurus.

#1. Is their a direct swap for from VHS to DVD? Can I swap a factory underseat DVD player directly for my VHS? Can I use an aftermarket unit like this and still retain all functions?
Accelevision Super Compact Car DVD Player

#2 My RCA cables look shot....the ends are cracked and are showing exposed wires (at the underseat unit) I can I replace with better quality units? These go from the underseat unit to the controls on the back of the console or up to the screen?

#3 Where is the wireless system located? Is it in the underseat player or located elsewhere (this goes back to question #1)?

#4 Can I swap the overhead screen for an integrated unit like on the newer fords where DVD player and Screen are all overhead....Can I do this and make it look factory?

Thanks for all the help....if anyone has a used underseat DVD player that will plug into my system please contact me?

Regards

A

Old 02-07-2009, 01:59 PM
ReAX
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Since no one seems to know, I'll tell you what I know and think.

1) The only direct replacement would be a Factory unit. Companies like Myron Davis do make DVD drives. Since you have RCA cables, then you can probably swap most aftermarket players in.

2) It depends really. If the head unit uses 3 or 5 wire RCAs and doesn't need a power signal from the head unit in the same harness, then yes. You can swap the RCA cables out either way, but you may have to separate out the power and controls from a single harness.

3) Most wireless DVD is going to IR (infrared) which is line of sight only. RF can bounce around a little, but I think there is more government regulation on RF. I would suspect your system to IR, which means the transceiver needs to be mounted on the ceiling. Some video units integrate the IR transceivers to the base plate, but I have seen a couple use a separate module.

4) All it takes is time and money. I believe all of the newer vehicles use the Johnson Controls overhead rails. If you can find a set of rails and factory player for a 2000 to say a 2004, staying away from CAN radio years, it shouldn't be all that difficult to wire. However, I think it would be easier and cheaper to put in an aftermarket and tweak it to look stock-ish.