Any Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 08:38 PM
I6roughneck
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Any Suggestions?

I recently purchased a 1994 F150 I6 5 speed. As the very first truck I ever owned was a 89 I6 5 Speed I know they are a near indestructible and reliable. As I have spent the last few years beefing up small block chevys I am a little out of touch with the ford power scene. I want to rebuild the engine and spice it up however I can. Cam, Intake,computer, any ideas are appreciated. Need suggestions on what works best. Want the best power posible without drinking a ton of gas. Also would like suggestion's on exhaust. Love the true dual sound of a Flowmaster super 40 but dont know how that would sound with a I6. What is the best way to get a good sound out of these?

Old 02-04-2009, 09:45 PM
Blue Rebel
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Upgrades for the I6 are out there, someone should be chiming in with some ideas there. As far as exhaust goes, ive heard that true duals on the I6 sound like crap. get a good header for it, Hedman makes one, 1 high flow cat, and muffler of your choice. Ive heard 40 series, and they do not sound good on the I6. Id go with magnaflow myself

Old 02-05-2009, 10:59 AM
Harte3
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The EFI is limited by the stock computer set up. The upgrades are few if any. A whole new system like MegaSquirt may help. Computer friendly cams are few. The Crane 503901 has been used by some. The Isky Mile-A-Mor and 256 Super Cam are claimed to be computer friendly. I know of no aftermarket intakes that are available. Headers with 02 bungs for sensors are available from Clifford. Others will require installing of the bungs...a small welding project. High flow super cats are available. Whether you dual out or not is a matter of preference as there is (JMO) no significant difference between 2 1/2 single out or 2 1/4 duals in performance. I myself like dual outs for the looks and some sound and I agree with Blue Rebel on the Flowmasters but many use them and like the sound...just a matter of preference. Other options are Borla or Gibson turbo mufflers.

Old 02-06-2009, 12:48 PM
optikal illushun
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
honestly this question comes up so often people get tired of answering. search the forums and everything u have asked has been answered at least 10 times or more.

put forth some effort on ur part (search) and others will put forth effort to help u.