Sponsored by: DP Tuner

hopefully a little helpful info

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 08:00 PM
mxdadof2
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hopefully a little helpful info

When I worked at a stealership after my return from the war in 04(wife said had to have a job and pay bills Lol ) went again after that, but anyway back to my topic. I was talking to one of the diesel mechanics in the shop who actually knew what he was talking bout (yes they are out there) he showed me on the expy we used to have how to check different things out such as batt voltage,digital tach,digital speedo and there were several other things it showed. We had the digital cluster that shows trip and mileage of the truck BTW, well we went over to a PSD and tried it on there and lo and behold it worked . How we got there was put the key in the ignition, push the trip button in and hold for about 5-10 secs then crank vehicle while still holding, after a few secs a test message comes up and then release trip button and you can scroll through and find fuel pressure, batt voltage, and way to much more info that im not familiar with. It also gives you a digital tach and speedo which is pretty cool. I know there may be some who think this may not be accurate info on the display but just thought maybe some of you who have the digital cluster can try it and see if it works and maybe how accurate it is.

Sorry for the long post guys if this isn't helpful to any one that is fine as you guys have a wealth of knowledge and I just thought that I would try and add my little bit as I am still new to the PSD's.

The info I have gathered on here has been just unbelieveable
I was unsure about posting this but thanks to Big Poppa Pump I did.

Would like to see if it could possibly help anyone diagnosis a problem in the future oh yeah forgot that it will also show DTC(digital test codes) if there are any, And it will work on any ford with the digital cluster ..

Old 02-04-2009, 08:02 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There is no way i know of, that the factory wiring harness can read fuel pressure.

DTC= Diagnostic Test Codes

Old 02-04-2009, 08:04 PM
mxdadof2
Senior User
Originally Posted by strokin_it7.3
There is no way i know of, that the factory wiring harness can read fuel pressure.

DTC= Diagnostic Test Codes
May not have been like I said there are a whole lot of things on there that I was not very familiar with and I may have been wrong thinking that it was fuel pressure but still lots of good stuff there...

Yes knew that about DTC's fingers not working right on computer sorry.....

Last edited by mxdadof2; 02-04-2009 at 08:06 PM. Reason: answer post
Old 02-04-2009, 08:08 PM
bandlgeorge
Elder User
subscribing . . .

Old 02-04-2009, 08:14 PM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Hey Ron, like i said post it up, it could end up working for some or not, but you posted it and got the info out there.

Old 02-04-2009, 08:20 PM
mxdadof2
Senior User
Thanks Big Poppa, thats all I was trying to do was get it out there and it very well may not help any one and it could and I hope someone with more knowledge than me can look at it and see if there is any thing worth looking at on there when there is a problem. My cluster is all analog and I dont have it on my 01'psd so wont help me.

Old 02-04-2009, 08:24 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
I've read about this before. There seems to be a different amount of info available between the gas & diesel motors. I've been tempted to try playing with this, but I use my trip meter with every fill up, so I keep waiting for a time when I forget to reset it. of course the few times I've forgotten, I also forget about this little trick.

I always thought it was Diagnostic Trouble Codes?

Old 02-04-2009, 08:31 PM
mxdadof2
Senior User
Originally Posted by F350-6
I've read about this before. There seems to be a different amount of info available between the gas & diesel motors. I've been tempted to try playing with this, but I use my trip meter with every fill up, so I keep waiting for a time when I forget to reset it. of course the few times I've forgotten, I also forget about this little trick.

Yeah I used to forget about it on her expy alot and it was always interesting to see the different info on there though when I did use it.

I always thought it was Diagnostic Trouble Codes?
Something like that chris...... DTC how bout that LOL Cant remember xactly what it was but in the display it is listed as DTC

Old 02-04-2009, 08:36 PM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Well if it shows the DTC,s then all you need to do is look it up here, not bad. No trip comp on mine either, SC codereader here.

Old 02-04-2009, 08:47 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by big poppa pump
No trip comp on mine either, SC codereader here.
Are you sure you don't have a trip meter Mike? My 99 had the odometer on top and the trip meter down below. The 02 has the digital gauge that just shows one. If you hit the button next to the odometer it will flip over to the trip meter display. I always leave mine set to show the trip meter since I use that as a back up to the fuel gauge reading.

When I got my truck inspected last year, the kid actually wrote my odometer reading on the inspection tag at 495 miles.

Old 02-04-2009, 09:42 PM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by F350-6
Are you sure you don't have a trip meter Mike? My 99 had the odometer on top and the trip meter down below. The 02 has the digital gauge that just shows one. If you hit the button next to the odometer it will flip over to the trip meter display. I always leave mine set to show the trip meter since I use that as a back up to the fuel gauge reading.

When I got my truck inspected last year, the kid actually wrote my odometer reading on the inspection tag at 495 miles.
Sorry Chris, big brain fart, yes i do, digital, was thinking of the lie-o-meter, lol plus to many of these

Old 02-04-2009, 10:45 PM
mxdadof2
Senior User
I might need 1 or 2 of those myself mike I am curious if this info is really any good or not ?? if it wasn't then it wouldn't be there right ? Any way I hope something might come out of it LOL dang just walked out to plug the truck in and it is cold, not as cold as some im sure but in the teens here in MS with the wind chill. We aint used to this cold, My wife is though as she is from Cincy Ohio.

Old 02-04-2009, 11:22 PM
big poppa
Post Fiend
I guess you'll see tomorrow if somebody tries it sounds interesting, i'll give it a shot. Its going around 0 tonite and the teens tomorrow, thats it, brrr.. Your wife knows the cold, lol, were getting tired of it too, my kids are climbing the walls because they can't go out long.

Old 02-04-2009, 11:46 PM
STROKIN'IT7.3
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by big poppa pump
Hey Ron, like i said post it up, it could end up working for some or not, but you posted it and got the info out there.
I'd be the not part again (refer to horn button thread) lol... i still got analog gauges

Old 02-08-2009, 07:27 PM
bandlgeorge
Elder User
anyone tried his theory yet? I'm curious to, but I am currently trying to diagnose a alternator problem and don't want to start the truck to throw my observations.