Pennsylvania Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: liftnw8z

any shooters in the area?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 10:16 AM
jpb222
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know the feeling. When I take my wife to shoot our 44 magnum she shoots it as well as I do which is surprising cause she is half my size and has MUCH less practice.

I know not to make her mad!!!!!

Old 02-08-2009, 09:27 PM
quaddriver
Cargo Master
oh THAT kind of shooter. here I perked up thinking the gubmint was gonna start paying decent wages for each touch....

Old 02-09-2009, 12:23 AM
weeds
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, since I haven't made an appearance in awhile, I figured I should let you guys know I'm still around...school has been killin me, apparently that's what happens when they realize they only have about 8 more months to make sure you know what you're doing before they ship you out into the real world, haha.

You guys are all leaving me here in the dust with these old guns (by the way, I almost picked up a Mosin for deer season while I was still looking for a hunting rifle), but I guess I'll stick up for the new bolt-actions. Some pics:

On top, my Savage Model 110 .30-06 that I lucked out and found on sale at Gander Mountain when I was going to pick up that Mosin. On the bottom is my baby, a Savage Model 10 .223 that is an absolute tack driver straight out of the box. Believe me, I have plans for this thing that are just waiting for my bank account to catch up.

My cheap lil Marlin .22 that started the addiction. Picked up again at Gander for around $120 for rifle & scope package. Rings are absolute garbage and keep coming loose and sliding off, so I just took off the scope and use the iron sights now. What's strange is I'm actually better shooting the walkthrough range with the irons than the scope (figure that one out??)

And the latest addition to the family, a DPMS AR-15 lower that's also waiting for the bank account to catch up to the shopping list of goodies for it.

Anyone in the Pittsburgh area, pick a Saturday or Sunday, shoot me an email, and we'll go shooting. If any of you are members at Clairton Sportsmens Club, you've probably seen me up there sometime, I spend about half my summer plinking up there and of course trying to close up the groups with the .223.

Old 02-09-2009, 08:45 AM
oldfart
Senior User
Well fellers it sure brightend up my day to see that we have some folks here that like to make noise. I'm in a bit of a funk right now. Hunting season is over..put all my gear away on Sunday....sniffle. Anyways..congrats to those of you getting your spouses involved in shooting!! I try to make it a point to introduce a new shooter every year. (at least 1..sometimes more) In point of fact..wimminfolks are easier to teach how to shoot. They have no preconcieved notions of how to do it and thusly no bad habits to break. They don't have any macho image to protect or a testosterone problem. They focus better and listen better. Now...knuckle down and get them a gun/pistol that fits them. If they want a bright pink cute one..buy it. Yes..they have them. A handgun for personal defense doesn't have to be a big-bore 16rd. tactical sidearm. Keep it small, concealable and reasonably accurate at 7yds. is the first requirement. And is has to go BANG every time. There are several excellent choices out there. My first reccomendation is a double-action-hammerless revolver..a snubbie. Totally idiot-proof and reliable as death and taxes. If you can't solve the problem in 5/6 rounds...run. Caliber? It doesn't matter. .22/.32/.38...any of them work just dandy. 99% of the time a situation is ended just by pulling it out and refusing to be a victim. Much more to come my friends. Audie..the longwinded Oldfart..

Old 02-09-2009, 09:00 AM
oldfart
Senior User
Well now fellers since I'm on my podium let me add that there are a handfull'a guns that are renowned. The 1911, the 98 Mauser, the AR in it's many configurations, the AK-47 and derivitives..and the Mosin-Nagant. One thing they all have in common. Utter reliability. I will add that a trip to the Greencastle Gun Show this past weekend I noticed the Nagants have gone from $59 to $159 in shooting condition since 6 months ago. Hard ammo has nearly tripled in price. Reloading supplies have doubled in 6 months. Go figger..eh? Well, for those in the area there's a gun show coming up at York on Feb. 21st./22nd that advertises 600 tables of hardware. I plan to be there. (Greencastle had 40 tables) Keep a eye out for a slobberin' old man with bright orange suspenders. That'd be me. Audie..the Oldfart..

Old 02-09-2009, 09:12 AM
oldfart
Senior User
Originally Posted by fire240
Joe I love shooting. I personnaly shoot a remington 870 express magnum and a smooth bore flintlock musket. I usually go to the range at elk neck state forest in MD.
Fire240...ye like the flint smoothies to..eh! Son... you need to Google up Muzzleloader Magazine and come join us at The Campfire!!!! That's the forum that Muzzleloader Magazine provides fer us rampant flintlock folks. Mysef being an outspoken member of the smoothbore clan. Lemme know if ye need any directions to the website. Audie..the Oldfart...2nd. Model Brown Bess Carbine, CenterMark Fusil De Chasse, English Trade Gun (one of Curly Gostromskis kits) L.Day 1600 Dutch Trade Gun, and sundry others. My motto..."We don't need no stinkin' rifeling!"

Old 02-09-2009, 06:27 PM
fire240
FTE Legend
Received 245 Likes on 237 Posts
I probably sbould oldfart. I mainly use the flint lock charleville repro for reenacting but i am not afraid to use for some live fire target shooting. I am looking at getting a first model bess soon. In case anyone is wondering the charleville is .69 caliber and the bess I will be getting soon is .75 caliber.

Old 02-09-2009, 07:57 PM
soondg
Postmaster
Seems I've heard that about the women some where else Audie, it's so true though. They just listen, wouldn't it be great if they listened like that at home Most guys that are first timers squeeze the gun so hard and try to muscle it, they must figure the round will pop out the muzzle with no powder needed. I can't tell you how many times I've seen some one shoot the trolley, the rope, the ceiling, the side walls, everything but the target.

Old 02-09-2009, 08:03 PM
SALEEN IN BLACK
New User
Homeland Sec.

Never leave HOME without a side peace and a boot gun.

Old 02-10-2009, 10:56 AM
oldfart
Senior User
Originally Posted by fire240
I probably sbould oldfart. I mainly use the flint lock charleville repro for reenacting but i am not afraid to use for some live fire target shooting. I am looking at getting a first model bess soon. In case anyone is wondering the charleville is .69 caliber and the bess I will be getting soon is .75 caliber.
Aye Sir the Charleville is a fine gun. A bit heavy for my work.. but still gits the job done..eh! Now once ye git that Bess grab up a coupl'a them 3/4in. dia. roundballs and roll them around in the palm of yer hand and have someone handy to take a picture. Yer holding history there son. The Bess has been in production for over 250yrs. and there's no indication she'll be stopping anytime soon. Them ***** in yer hand weigh 12 to the pound....1 1/4 oz. each. I read once where some warlord wanted to see just how far the Bess would penetrate. So he lined up 12 prisoners in a row and had a soldier fire at the first man. Only the 12th. man survived. Hard to believe that for 250+ years, men stood 50yds. apart in ranks of 4 or better and faced this onslaught. Their courage humbles me. Audie.......the Oldfart.

Old 02-13-2009, 08:33 PM
fire240
FTE Legend
Received 245 Likes on 237 Posts
Thats true Audie. I have used the .75 caliber ***** before. They can do alot of damage at 50 yds or less. The 69 caliber does as well.

Old 02-14-2009, 11:01 AM
quaddriver
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by SALEEN IN BLACK
Never leave HOME without a side peace and a boot gun.

unless you live in NYC or DC in which case the cops will shoot you, sodomize you with a broom handle, and then send you to prison

Old 02-19-2009, 10:23 PM
c00nhunterjoe
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
old dude in orange suspenders. i will be looking for you. i will be waiting in line to get in saturday morning.

Old 02-25-2009, 09:54 PM
c00nhunterjoe
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i didnt see any old farts up there in orange suspenders..... i bought lots of goodies.

Old 03-20-2009, 12:01 PM
fordwannabe72
Freshman User
new guy here.. has been known to burn some powder

Hi guys I'm new to this chapter but I saw this thread and had to answer. I have a small collection of firearms and it includes some milsurp, modern bolt guns, some front stuffers...and the best of all black powder cartridge side by side shotguns. Oh thiose are so nice. Glad to see others in the group with similar interest. I look foward to getting to know you guys. Thanks Tom

Quick Reply: any shooters in the area?