Headers for my 64 w/ 460

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 12:36 PM
HAMS64
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Headers for my 64 w/ 460

Guys,<O</O
I have read and read posts about headers and cannot find one that says, YES they will fit! I have a '64 F100 with a mid 70's and want to say 73 Lincoln 460 motor. Very typical for these trucks and I want to add some headers and shorty headers seem to be the best move. However, I have aftermarket power steering so the steering box may be an issue as to clearance. ? Also the starter on the pass side. So I want a direct fit of the stock manifolds so I do not have to "wonder" if they fit, maybe, don’t know deal. Yes I have read about fit up and, yes it is a chance they may or may not fit. So do most shops take them back if they don’t fit? You scratch um, you buy um?? <O</O
<O</O

So does someone know of a shorty header that would be the same confiq as the stock manifolds? This way I bolt up the new headers and just connect my pipe and go....<O</O
OH I want to do this for flow, and well sound. <O</O
Anyone that has dealt with this? And if so, what did you purchase?<O</O
<O</O
Thanks,<O</O
Hammy<O</O

Old 09-06-2013, 01:15 PM
Beechkid
Received 210 Likes on 160 Posts
Unless you go with shorty’s or actual custom built headers, 99% of all headers will require "massaging" to install (whether it's denting a tube, moving a bracket, etc.). Unless it is for racing purposes, in all reality, there are little differences in overall performance between shorties (Tri-Y), mid-length & long tube headers.....shorties actually perform excellent up to about 5500 rpm and then will have a slight drop until 6k rpm when it begins to really decline.....more than enough for street use and much better than oem manifolds.

Hedmann in the 60's/70's an excellent product and considered one of the top mfg's with Hooker....they were built in Culver City, Ca until a few years ago. Beginning in the late 80's Hedmann quality began declining & today, they are considered an "inexpensive Header", meaning, you get what you pay for. IMHO I would place Patriot & Blackjack in the same category (although both seem to be offering a higher-quality header line also). In general, the head plate should be at least 3/8" (1/2" is best), tubing should be at least 16 gauge (14 is best).....otherwise leaks and burn-though are going to be a problem as well as the longetivity of the headers.

In your situation, I'm sorry but I really doubt anyone will say this model will fit with this level of modification.....and in most cases, retailer won't take the return (but you can always ask). IMHO, buy a you weld it up yourself header kit......just about every company offers them....Hooker, etc.....they are of very good quality and with a little patience will come out great- exactly what you want.

Old 09-06-2013, 03:05 PM
HAMS64
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Beechkid,
Hey thanks for the weath of information. Yea I thought it would be one of those deals where it would take a bit of this and a bit of that to get a set already welded up to fit. Yea was thinking it would be so nice to just change them out and hook up to my existing pipe.
Yea I think I will see about a header kit, I can weld, shadetree, BUT I can weld. Worst case, I tack them up good and have my buddy weld them up completly for me for a good and cosmetic weld I will try to remeber to post my finsihed product.
Thanks Much!
Hammy