Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Auto-dimming rearview mirror

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 12:24 AM
ghunt
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Auto-dimming rearview mirror

If any of you guys have ever considered installing an autodimming rearview mirror, DO IT!

I just installed mine two nights ago. I bought one off ebay from a Chevy truck (Gentex), it has only the compass and temp buttons on it, none of the Onstar crap, and came with a wiring pigtail. I also ordered a Gentex temperature sensor for the mirror. Paid about $30-40 for the mirror and $25 for the temp sensor.

After some searching online I found out the mirror only needs a few wires to actually work despite having about 13 coming off the pigtail. Can't remember exactly from memory, but I could check again and post it up for anyone that wants to know.

Anyway there's two wires for the temp sensor, one for 12V switched power, and one for ground. Installing the mirror was super easy. First off, on the '92-96 trucks at least, there is a half circle cut in the front edge of the trim that runs along the top of the windshield...which just happened to be exactly the right size for me to run the wire loom through. Nice. I tucked the temp sensor up under my cab sun visor and ran the wires underneath the weatherstripping and into the truck.

From there, I just connected those two wires to the mirror, made a ground up near the mirror, and ran the power wire off the fuse for the radio in the fuse panel.

Also, these mirrors will attach to your factory windshield mount with one small exception- they have a small 10-24 Torx screw to hold it in place. I found out this torx screw was too short on my truck and the mirror was flopping around on the mount. I just grabbed a 3/4" or so long 10-24 Allen head screw, ran it in there until it was tight, works perfect.

And the mirror itself works like a charm.

I could write an FAQ/tech article for this if somebody can tell me how to submit it or post it. There's tons of these mirrors on ebay and they're pretty cheap, although not all of them come with the wiring pigtail, but I think you can buy those on ebay too.

Old 01-25-2009, 12:52 AM
tgore3
Senior User
I was surprised that mine has an auto dimming rear view mirror factory. Nice addition, it does help.

I would like to have the compass and thermometer though. Where does the temp sensor get located?

Old 01-25-2009, 12:57 AM
Moore558
Elder User
Please make the tech article here and we'll see if we can get a mod to add it to the sticky tech article for the forums here.

Old 01-25-2009, 10:12 AM
ghunt
Postmaster
Just add it as a post in this thread? Alright, I'll try to get the important details and do that soon.

tgore, I guess that's why that cutout was in the trim, haha.

The temp sensor gets located anywhere outside the vehicle...finding somewhere to put it is probably the trickiest part. Because my truck has a fiberglass visor on the cab, I just stuck it up inside the corner of it and ran the wiring underneath and in around the weatherstripping on the driver's side door.

Old 01-25-2009, 10:58 AM
mstngmikegt
Senior User
My truck came factory with an auto-dimming mirror (part of a convenience group as I understand that includes dual lighted visors). Didn't know that they ever even offered them in that era or that my truck had one when I bought it..pretty cool little bonus. Would be nice to have the temp/compass though. Have thought about doing the overhead console swap from an Explorer to accomplish this but might be nice to have it in the mirror instead. Anyone who has done a overhead console swap like this have any opinion on which way to go?

Old 01-25-2009, 05:38 PM
tgore3
Senior User
Originally Posted by mstngmikegt
My truck came factory with an auto-dimming mirror (part of a convenience group as I understand that includes dual lighted visors). Didn't know that they ever even offered them in that era or that my truck had one when I bought it..pretty cool little bonus. Would be nice to have the temp/compass though. Have thought about doing the overhead console swap from an Explorer to accomplish this but might be nice to have it in the mirror instead. Anyone who has done a overhead console swap like this have any opinion on which way to go?
Mine has the dual lighted visors as well. Power drivers seat, power lumbar support both seats. Must be like a package deal.

Old 01-25-2009, 05:56 PM
86Stepside
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I put one with the center console with compass, temp and lights. I put the sensor for temp behind the grill, and it works great! This setup came from a mid ninety's Dodge truck. I had to trim some of the console off, there was a little cubbie hole on there, but it did'nt fit right. The lights work too.

Old 01-26-2009, 12:55 AM
ghunt
Postmaster
Hey 86stepside, how'd you attach that overhead console? I've been wanting to add one since I got my truck (or at least an overhead gauge pod) but wasn't sure how to attach anything up there.

Old 01-26-2009, 09:31 AM
86Stepside
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
All I did was cut the headliner, then screwed it up there. There is a inner layer of metal in the roof, so as long as you use short screws you wont go all the way through the roof. I think there is four screws in mine, so it's nice and tight.