Sponsored by: DP Tuner

6.0 tranny cooler fittings

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 09:24 PM
papadelogan
Snowboard season cometh..

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6.0 tranny cooler fittings

So I scored a 6.0 tranny cooler for $75 from the breakers, and now I need fittings. I bought a bunch of fittings from my local Lowe's, but it's 3 pieces for each line. $23 out the door. Not too bad... but .... I found these:

ebay auction: Pex 3/8" x 1/2" reducing coupler

1. I try not to waste money... too much!
2. No putting together means fewer joints & possible leaks

Anyone out there have experience with this brand? Seems like it'd work perfect and be tons cheaper. They are brass and a worm-gear clamp over the hose could be good & tight.

For $15 I'd have plenty of spares & would gladly share out the extras. I called a local plumber but like many people, couldn't see that this item could have any other use besides home plumbing. I explained what I wanted it for 3 times and he still didn't get it. "You sure there's not like 3000psi in that line?" No, in fact I'm not, but given that it's just rubber hose in there from the factory, I'll be a little crazy and risk it....

So then here's both questions I currently have:

1. Anyone with experience/knowledge on the suitability of this item for how I want to use it?
2. Who else would want a pair?

Old 01-19-2009, 10:02 PM
rebelchevy02
Posting Guru
I got my stuff from BTS. But the pex fitting is a solid brass piece, cant see any issues with it. The way its normally used, is with a copper ring, that gets crimped down, squishing the hose between the ring, and the fitting. I redid the plumbing in my house, and ditched the copper, and installed a pex manifold, and lines. You might look into the crimp setup if the hose is small enough to fit under the copper ring. Would look nice. As far as the fitting goes, IIRC water lines in the house, after the regulator is usually around 65 psi or so? Cant see using them for that would be an issue. So long as you can clamp them down good onto the fitting.

Old 01-19-2009, 10:30 PM
papadelogan

UPDATE: I found from the same seller a bag of 5 of these fittings shipped to me for $5.25! I'll be doing a tranny flush and adding this cooler at the same time so I'll be giving an update on how well these work.

Old 01-19-2009, 10:33 PM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Does that mean you'll have a couple extras?? I'm assuming it takes two, right? My 6.0 cooler is in route here now -- how much do you want for a couple of those?

Old 01-19-2009, 10:46 PM
papadelogan

Originally Posted by rebelchevy02
I got my stuff from BTS. But the pex fitting is a solid brass piece, cant see any issues with it. The way its normally used, is with a copper ring, that gets crimped down, squishing the hose between the ring, and the fitting. I redid the plumbing in my house, and ditched the copper, and installed a pex manifold, and lines. You might look into the crimp setup if the hose is small enough to fit under the copper ring. Would look nice. As far as the fitting goes, IIRC water lines in the house, after the regulator is usually around 65 psi or so? Cant see using them for that would be an issue. So long as you can clamp them down good onto the fitting.
I've heard about the kit from BTS but figured I could get the parts locally, quicker, and for maybe a few $$ less. I'll look in to the crimp rings just for the knowing, but will likely just use the worm-gear clamps.

Originally Posted by Izzy351
Does that mean you'll have a couple extras?? I'm assuming it takes two, right? My 6.0 cooler is in route here now -- how much do you want for a couple of those?
I'll have a spare pair. Just PM me your address is all and when I get them I'll send them out via 1st class mail.