Notices

Ball Mount With Electronic Scale?

Old 01-18-2009, 01:18 AM
HankMurphy
Senior User
HankMurphy is starting off with a positive reputation.
Question Ball Mount With Electronic Scale?

A couple of years ago I saw a product which I now can't locate. It was a ball mount for a 2" receiver which incorporated an electronic scale. This allowed one to measure tongue weight while loading. As I remember the color was yellow. Does anyone remember this?

I've tried a couple of searches of the internet, but all the terms I can think of bring back too many hits.

Thanks in advance,

Old 01-18-2009, 07:53 AM
Spamjohnson
Senior User
Spamjohnson is starting off with a positive reputation.
Is this what you were looking for?

Sherline Trailer Tongue Weight Scales

Old 01-18-2009, 08:48 AM
Steina
CO River Rat
Steina is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Steina is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Hank -

I remember seeing that item reviewed in Trailer Boats magazine some years back, but I don't keep my old issues. It sounded pretty neat but, IIRC, was also pricey.

Here's a way to measure with a bathroom scale:

Tongue Weight Scale

Steve

Old 01-18-2009, 01:07 PM
Ford_Six
Post Fiend
Ford_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputation
I found a few patents online for it, but not any actual products. It'd be a neat thing to have, but I usually just watch the "squat".

Old 01-18-2009, 01:26 PM
Steina
CO River Rat
Steina is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Steina is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Finally found that rascal: senZbarhome

Steve

Old 01-19-2009, 02:26 PM
BPofMD
FTE MD Chapter Ldr
BPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputation
The Sherline looks more versatile and costs less too. If you step up to a 5'er, you can still use it if you buy the 5000 to start with.

Old 01-20-2009, 02:20 AM
HankMurphy
Senior User
HankMurphy is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks to everyone who responded. The Sherline looks useful -- the only drawback I can imagine is that one must remove the trailer from the hitch to use it? The bathroom scale application looks ingenious. However, the SenZBar was what I was seeking.

As far as a fifth wheel, I don't think my V6 F150 is really the right tow vehicle for that application. )

Best regards,

Old 01-20-2009, 07:47 AM
hanklin
Ambassador
hanklin has a superb reputationhanklin has a superb reputationhanklin has a superb reputationhanklin has a superb reputationhanklin has a superb reputationhanklin has a superb reputationhanklin has a superb reputationhanklin has a superb reputationhanklin has a superb reputationhanklin has a superb reputationhanklin has a superb reputation
My vote is for the bathroom scale..gotta love the price

Hanklin

Old 01-20-2009, 12:13 PM
dchamberlain
Post Fiend
dchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by HankMurphy View Post
Thanks to everyone who responded. The Sherline looks useful -- the only drawback I can imagine is that one must remove the trailer from the hitch to use it? The bathroom scale application looks ingenious. However, the SenZBar was what I was seeking.

As far as a fifth wheel, I don't think my V6 F150 is really the right tow vehicle for that application. )

Best regards,
I would have to wonder if you would actually want to use the senszbar for actual towing. I looked at their web page and their is very little information about it.

For one, you would have to install it and zero it without the trailer attached to get an accurate read. How strong is the weight sensor? Is the sensor going to get damaged getting banged around towing a trailer? At the very least the sensor is probably going to lose calibration in use, so you're going to have to disconnect your trailer, zero it and reconnect it to get an accurate re-weigh anyway.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.