Tired of the 300 bashing

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 08:23 PM
optikal illushun
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
my 93 F-150 was my first truck (still own it) at 16 and i thought it was perfect for the same reason. then i got the itch to make it a power house. did all i could do besides head work, which at that time i found out an alm head is being worked on so i decided to wait.

Old 12-30-2009, 08:38 PM
frankenstien77
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
optikal illusion seriously dude stop relying on what others have done, i don't give a hoot what they have done. What have you done? Sounds like nothing except read about what others have done and chime in with nothing useful of your own. And why can't it be affordable, why can't it be streetable and out of most people's league, again is just limiting yourself to what others have told you about. I'm not talking of moving the power band up the rpm curve, the higher r's are for the highway for those of us who drive our trucks daily. Anyway I usually don't send nasty grams back and play games with this kiddies on these sites so seriously this is my last reply to you. If you have any tips tricks or techniques to share you figured out on your own sweet, if you want to tell me what everyone else did don't bother I know how to read them for my self.

Old 12-30-2009, 09:20 PM
optikal illushun
Postmaster
read what i have said. did u not read my sig? i dont just regergitate what i read, i have done a lot to my 300 as well as helped build several 300s for friends. i am telling u from hands on experience. i was using Col. Flashman as an example because he has dyno runs and a build here to back up what he did. just reference for u to use, but whatever.

to increase the power output of an engine that made 120 stock to almost triple isnt going to happen. if it was that easy then a lot more people would have done it, thats why v-8s are so popular. sorry u can comprehend that fact, but the VE of this engine is poor, something like 68-70%. u need to seriously rework the head to make it have any power output. when that alm head comes out from FSP, things may change. they have made some incredible gains on the small six front. ur asking a lot (350 hp) from an engine with 6 cylinders. horsepower cost money. quit being so defensive and just read.

if u dont believe me, head over to FSP dot com and read.

Old 12-30-2009, 10:54 PM
frankenstien77
New User
Already went to fsp and they are making the same mistake Ford made just with aluminum, any one can re-port and polish and gain flow and hp. By the way I have a degree that involved almost 2,000 hours of hands on, many post graduate courses and 3 federal certificates and 14 years of turbine and radial engine experience and I have been building car engines for over 20 years. Pretty sure I have a handle on volumetric efficiency bud. I have been hand selected to perform intiquet engine work in both these engine designs by several companies and the military. Stop using your extremely limited knowledge to tell me what can't be done. If it works for you awesome keep on truckin but the sky's the limit for me. Nay sayers like you motivate me to get going on this build even if I have to beg borrow or steal to get it done.

Old 12-30-2009, 11:06 PM
optikal illushun
Postmaster
LOL, am i supposed to be impressed? i thought the last reply was the end? looks like ya couldnt let me have the last word. im glad "naysayers" like me motivate u. prove me and everyone wrong. i dont see it happening within a working mans budget and skill level. that was my point. i dont know of a whole lot of people, especially on here, who can throw several thousand dollars at an engine, let alone what u are now saying u want to do. people like u have come and gone through this forum like the days are long. havent seen one come back with anything, if they return at all. most of these projects fizzle out once the person realizes what they are dealing with...weather its a backyard hot rodder or a self proclaimed expert like urself.

good night and have a happy new year. hope the 2010 proves me wrong.

Old 12-31-2009, 03:51 AM
73'360f100
Senior User
Asking for 350hp out of a six cylinder is not a lot yes for this motor but no not for a six cylinder in general. Look at the toyota 2jz-gte it has 320hp stock, and with about 3 grand that can be pushed to dang near 1000. All of that performance from a six cylinder. It's not about size all the time. I agree with you optikal that 350hp out of a 300 is near impossible on a working mans budget, but f77 sounds like he has more than a working mans budget and possibly some very good connections to work with. Hopefully he will succeed and we will all have more options for heads (any options would be nice though). But even if it takes 100 people like f77 to get one good option then that is worth it.

Old 12-31-2009, 07:00 AM
frankenstien77
New User
Optikal Illusion is right there are lots of self proclaimed experts out there. If I tried to make my self sound like one then my appologies, I just have experience and have had the priveledge to work with and be taught by some of the smartest people ever to bend a wrench or hit the drawing board. Any who I was never born rich and I will die poor, If I successfully can design this head and the numbers work out that will be sweet and no-one that wants to upgrade will get soaked, my time costs nothing I would just want to recover the cost of the materials. I don't plan or want to make a profit, I have never made a profit in anything I have ever sold yet and I don't plan to start now. My sinserest appologiest for mixxing it up on this forum it was definately not very Christian and I appologize. To everyone else I'll keep ya posted, happy new year

Old 12-31-2009, 04:16 PM
optikal illushun
Postmaster
i apologize as well, i wasnt saying U cant do it...i was just saying that those numbers for what ur first post described was not realistic. after u mentioned making all these parts, it sounds more feaseible.

if u make a better head, and it was proven id be the first to buy it.

Old 12-31-2009, 05:11 PM
6CylBill
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by optikal illushun
LOL, am i supposed to be impressed? i thought the last reply was the end? looks like ya couldnt let me have the last word. im glad "naysayers" like me motivate u. prove me and everyone wrong. i dont see it happening within a working mans budget and skill level. that was my point. i dont know of a whole lot of people, especially on here, who can throw several thousand dollars at an engine, let alone what u are now saying u want to do. people like u have come and gone through this forum like the days are long. havent seen one come back with anything, if they return at all. most of these projects fizzle out once the person realizes what they are dealing with...weather its a backyard hot rodder or a self proclaimed expert like urself.

Originally Posted by optikal illushun

I'm repping you for this post. I've known you for a long time and I know you know you're stuff. You can't spell for crap but you can build a 300.

I agree with everything you said, including how guys like him come and go. They talk big, but then they never do anything about it. And you're right. The average WORKING man does not have near the time, money or skill needed.

Old 12-31-2009, 05:22 PM
optikal illushun
Postmaster
i hope he does do it!

one thing i thought of, reason FSP is using the U flow design is to use in-production intake and exhaut set ups. making it a regular style would mean special intakes.

Old 12-31-2009, 05:52 PM
6CylBill
Post Fiend
I hope he does too. I doubt it tho. I've seen it too many times.

Old 12-31-2009, 06:06 PM
Freaksh0w
Elder User
It'd be a lot easier going with a single small turbo with all supporting fuel mods. That alone at 6psi-8psi would make it feel like a real diesel. Then if you were to do head work and add a cam.... who knows?

But, really, people have turboed these engines... that seems the way to go over NA. The 300, I THINK, would spool a smaller turbo up very quick, and you really don't need to push all that much boost. It'd be one streetable sleeper and one surprising off road machine. With the 300-6 torque + turbocharger torque (that = unstoppable), it'd be a hell of a mudder in 3rd gear at 3000RPM. You woudn't have to build much. I'm sure it'd hold 6psi of boost easy, right? Who cares about revving to the moon if you can just keep it in the right gear.

A turbo anything is fun, but I think a small turbo 300-6 would be REALLY fun on trails. I'm already drooling. I keep saying small turbo because of the really fast spool.

Ok, I'll end this dream rant. My other is a 408w in my current truck and 460 in a 79 F250 4 door with dana 60's... but that's a long post too that I'll never see, lol.

Old 12-31-2009, 07:56 PM
6CylBill
Post Fiend
There you go, now that's what I'm talking about. Yes Sir, I'll have one 460 please, no mustard, no onion.

It's all about time and money, man. If you have time and money, you can either build a 300 or swap it out for a V8. But for guys like me - we sort of daydream and read about what's possible and wait the motor to blow. Then we HAVE to spend some cash.

Old 12-31-2009, 08:36 PM
ford_0004
Senior User
Just another dum ? What is the max hp/torque does the 300/6 have ?

Old 12-31-2009, 08:45 PM
greyghost85
Postmaster
whoever has the answer to that, please do a 240 six, as well. i wonder how the two would compare as far as fuel mileage

Quick Reply: Tired of the 300 bashing