The 48 cylinder project

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 02:32 PM
Hypoid
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The 48 cylinder project

Last year a bunch of us guys had a G2G, talked trail rides, fishing, and trucks. After telling one of the guys about my little hoard of FEs, he looked at me and said: "What the hell you got there, a 32 cylinder project?"

Uhhh, yeah, except it's 48 cylinders now. That's right, six FE engines. Three are parts only. Two will be runners, the last I'll have to tear down before deciding.

So I've been cleaning and cataloging parts over the summer.

With the good weather this past week, I've been able to work on my storage problem.

It's quick, it's dirty, it's pretty doggone sturdy.

I was able to get the latest engine off the floor and on a stand. We didn't even have this one completely out of it's donor when I saw the cam plug. I wonder what other surprises I'll find? I'm pretty excited about this one!

I guess the basic purpose of this thread is to determine what I have here, and to pick one...or two to keep.

I'm sure I'll have a WTF!?!? picture now and again. I'll try to keep the images managable for the people graced with dial-up service.

That's all for today, I need to finish another storage rack...

Old 01-04-2009, 03:21 PM
FFR428
Needsmorecoffee.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow that's a good supply of parts Mike. Nice job on the engine stands. 6 FE's is a pretty good stash. I think Bobby is not that far behind you? LOL!!! Nice you have the room to keep extra parts. That'll save you time and money in the future. Unless you drag home a few more??

Old 01-04-2009, 04:17 PM
Redmanbob
Logistics Pro
Kodos Mike!!I like those stands as well... did you make those ? Time to pickup that welder and EDU I been dreaming of LOL

Didnt find TA radials for the 64 but did find 4 OEM aluminum wheels with some old but worthy tires on the rear two. We'll give it time as the exhaust bolts have me about ready to pass on using this SOB as a work truck. Used the hi speed die grinder and agressive port bit on a few bolts after cursing them out a few times!! Gotta drill out to out 2 of 16... both top bolts.. go figure!! If only I had the $$ to just move fwd and never look back !!! I'd so pass on doing this all again in 2 years or so!!

Old 01-04-2009, 06:22 PM
maxtor
Posting Guru

Looks good,,, there is no such thing as to many parts.

Old 01-05-2009, 01:18 AM
Hypoid
Cargo Master
Thanks fellas!

I'm on an FE time-out: No more parts unless they help put one of these engines in my truck.

Yes Bobby, I made the stand. It was all salvage from the scrap bin. Today's project used to be a clothesline and part of a warehouse rack. I ran out of filler rod, so I'm down $8 for the project. This rack will free up two sets of jack stands before it is finished.

Bobby, you ought to look into buying a small cutting torch, they can be pretty versatile.

Old 01-05-2009, 07:23 AM
Redmanbob
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by Hypoid

Bobby, you ought to look into buying a small cutting torch, they can be pretty versatile.
I think I have one actually(well a friend of my brothers) left it here when he came to visit a few years ago. Was a tiny little acetylene torch and a few rods. Hell I bet it would work for the 0 bondo repair I have planned for the 66' ?

Old 01-05-2009, 07:44 AM
RapidRuss
FE "Freakin Expensive"

Good GOD !! LOL... You guys collect anymore parts and you'll need to apply for a scrap yard license !!

~Russ

Old 01-05-2009, 07:45 AM
RapidRuss
FE "Freakin Expensive"

Oh !! Mikey !! Congrats on your 2000th post !!

~Russ

Old 01-05-2009, 05:29 PM
peganit2
Elder User
Originally Posted by Hypoid
I was able to get the latest engine off the floor and on a stand. We didn't even have this one completely out of it's donor when I saw the cam plug. I wonder what other surprises I'll find? I'm pretty excited about this one!

What are we looking at here?

Good idea on the engine stands by the way.

Old 01-05-2009, 08:19 PM
Redmanbob
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by peganit2
What are we looking at here?

Good idea on the engine stands by the way.
Cam plug installed bass ackwards

Old 01-06-2009, 03:44 AM
Hypoid
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Redmanbob
Cam plug installed bass ackwards

This engine is "said" to have 20K on the clock. We will see if there is a mark inside the timing cover. We will also see if I can get a better picture. LOL

Right way:

Wrong way:

Old 01-08-2009, 02:28 PM
Fritolay
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
heck thats not bad at all between my dad and i we have 8 or 9 engines 3 installed two ready to be installed and plenty of extra bits n pieces. have four or five 9" housings layin around on out of 79 ltd with discs that im thinkin about puttin under my old truck. kinda helps that dad and i both worked haulin crusher cars for a while. got a straight no rust almost complete 60's galaxie 500 for $12.

Old 02-24-2009, 12:20 AM
Hypoid
Cargo Master
Time for an update. I've been really busy helping a bud move. We trashed an old wooden dolly I made sometime in the previous century. I took the old wheels and started getting busy with the scrap steel. When it's done moving my bud, it will be a break-in stand. I should be making rock sliders (rocker guards) with this stuff, but here are the side frames on the welding bench:

It will be 34" by 44" and bolted together so that I can dismantle the heavy ol' thing for transport.

Back to the 48 cylinder theme. If I don't have one ventury per cylinder...I'm pretty dogone close! LOL

Old 02-24-2009, 07:28 AM
Redmanbob
Logistics Pro
Holy CRAP!! I may have to send you some $$ & get you to go core bin diving LOL.. I never see the 4bbl in our yards. 1 or 2 in 6 years of looking

Old 02-24-2009, 07:36 AM
ceetwarrior
Cargo Master
Damn dude, you must be good to your wife to have all that "junk" laying around in the yard! I don't quite remember all that stuff last time I was over there....

Quick Reply: The 48 cylinder project