Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

OEM tires

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 07:13 PM
bob1987f
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PREPPYPYRO you may have worked in a tire shop, but i just got off a 12 hour shift aspecting, and classifing tires AT THE FACTORY. and guess what....just like every day in the 7 years ive been there I had to DOWNGRADE SEVERAL OE TIRES IN OUR SYSTEM TO REPLACEMENT MARKET TIRES FOR SMALL AND MINOR DEFECTS.

so like i said....(this isnt a guess or a theory i do it for a LIVING) OE Michelins have tighter tolorances than replacement market Michelins. Just a fact.

if you worked at a tire shop you didnt get those OE tires, they go straight to the factory. You just saw replacement market tires, or downgraded OE tires that became replacement....

but thirdly....i do know with Michelins (as with all brands) there are better tire lines than others. I could buy a set of LTX/MS's and love them for years, and you could buy a different style, tire line, tire dimension (as we call it), and might have bad luck with them......

best thing to do is go to sites such as thetirerack.com and read reviews, and check to make sure they have the size and correct load rating that you want for that dimension

Old 01-05-2009, 07:23 PM
preppypyro
FTE Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
I guess maybe I should have said tires that came on factory vehicles, i suppose some could have been changed at dealers or whatnot. I know that ive had lots of customers complain about their michelins that came with their factory vehicle, and thats why they were switching to goodyears (not just between those two companies, ive heard complains about every one!)

I never knew that with michelins they saved the best ones for the dealer. Definatly interesting stuff, and I guess I should have worded what I mean to say a little differently

I also reccomend the tirerack website for their reviews too.

Currently I am running a set of goodyear silent armours, and they have done really well. I have 6/32nds on the rear right now, and 9/32nds on the front (I know,time for a rotate!) and Im sitting around 73,000 kms on them right now. Thats me living on gravel roads, so they get the best of wear on them haha.

Old 01-05-2009, 07:52 PM
svt2205
Posting Guru
Don't let this OEM selection sway you. It's not because the parts manufacturer wants to give the OEM's the best, they only want to reduce their risk for production issues that might lead to spending extra money to conduct sorting and certifying exersizes at the factory or feeder lines or to reduce the supplier's exposure to future warranty claims. It's not done because they want us to have the best products.

Anything questionable ends up at our parts stores or at places like Wally World.

Old 01-05-2009, 08:04 PM
bob1987f
Senior User
all im saying is that in no way shape or form, that OE Michelins (like i said earlier i dont know about other manufacturers so i wont claim to) are worse than the replacements.

in some cases they are better (for example when there are no replacement market for some tire lines, and you can only get them OE)

but then (like in the case of the LTX/MS). you can get it replacement, but it doesnt come in an OE fitment.

so i guess you could say that the replacement Ltx/ms line IS better than some oe's.

does this make sense?

Old 01-05-2009, 08:19 PM
Bsimmer3000
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by bob1987f
all im saying is that in no way shape or form, that OE Michelins (like i said earlier i dont know about other manufacturers so i wont claim to) are worse than the replacements.

in some cases they are better (for example when there are no replacement market for some tire lines, and you can only get them OE)

but then (like in the case of the LTX/MS). you can get it replacement, but it doesnt come in an OE fitment.

so i guess you could say that the replacement Ltx/ms line IS better than some oe's.

does this make sense?
Bob1987 you might know about this. I have heard a few of vehicles in the last few weeks that when they were driving down the road it sounded like the tires were sticking to the run and making an awful load sticky tire/road noise and it can be heard upto about 200-300ft away and gets louder at higher speeds. The thing is it's only about 50-60f here at the moment so i know it's not the tarmac getting tacky. Any idea why they are doing this???

Old 01-05-2009, 08:29 PM
preppypyro
FTE Legend
Originally Posted by bob1987f

does this make sense?
Yes sir, i get exactly what ya mean, i misunderstood ya before, my bad!

Your saying the actual quality of the tire, where I was meaning (or trying to mean) the line of tire

Old 01-05-2009, 09:13 PM
Fat Ford Boy
More Turbo
Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts
Thumbs up

When I bought the '01 Screw, I drove it 49 miles, and purchased 4 COOPER tires. When we bought my wifes '02 Screw, we drove it home, 126 miles, and bought COOPER tires. When we bought the '06 Mustang, I drove it about 1500 miles, and put on COOPER tires. When we bought the new boat, I pulled it home, 96 miles, and put COOPER tires on it. I guess I'd have to say I would get COOPER tires !!!!!!!!!

P.S. My '01 truck has over 90k on the tires, and I still have alot of tread. BUT, I run "8" ply tires, the same with my wifes truck !!!! Not sure how many miles she has on hers. BUT, they are the same tires that I have. They might ride a tad rougher, but they hold up well !!!!

Old 01-05-2009, 09:28 PM
Ryan50hrl
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Cooper??? you might be the first person i've ever met that liked cooper tires.....hum...

Old 01-05-2009, 09:39 PM
preppypyro
FTE Legend
Ive known some people to like some cooper tires, cooper cobras for one, but no one has every told me they liked them for their longevity!

If you are getting 90,000 miles on your coopers, then you need to keep buying them, that is amazing!

Old 01-05-2009, 09:47 PM
Bsimmer3000
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Ryan50hrl
Cooper??? you might be the first person i've ever met that liked cooper tires.....hum...

Ditto but everyone has there "best" no matter if it is or not. Just like some think the Dodge or the Toyota is a better truck than the Ford even though the Ford is proven to be the best. I have always liked Michelin's but have changed from high performance road cars to a truck so I'm sure i will find a tire i like. Very happy with the Pirelli scorpions i have so far, so more than likely will buy them when the time arrives. The tires i used to use on my road cars were lucky to get 12-15k miles as they were a pretty soft compound and cost a lot more money than a harder compound tire which would have lasted a lot longer. But then again you have a lot less grip so pick ya poison.

Old 01-05-2009, 10:13 PM
Fat Ford Boy
More Turbo
Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts
Arrow

Our tires on ALL of our vehicles get rotated every 5,000 miles.

Yes, I ahve had good luck with the COOPER tires, and as long as they keep running well, I will continue to run them. BUT, when they start being a bad tire, I will find something else to run.

I use to run K/Springfields. Do they still make them or not ?? That is what I switched from. It was nothing aginst the K/S tires, jus te dealer that I had to deal with.

P.S. My COOPER dealer rotates the tires every 5k for fre. Balance is extra.

I feel like that is a good deal.

Old 01-05-2009, 10:34 PM
preppypyro
FTE Legend
Now I hope this isnt me bring this way too far off topic, but there is a few companies that offer the free balance and rotate on the tires. Fountain tire up here used to be one of them, but they told me they no longer do that. They are a goodyear only dealer.

I went to a Kal tire up here to get a rotate and balance done on our car, with goodyear tires, they did it for free, told me to come back when I needed new tires. Next set of tires on my car and truck will most likely be bought from kal tire, due to just that (they give free flat repairs too!) So it looks like I will have to find something other then goodyear, even though I love alot of their product.

Rotating your tires is extremely important if you want to maximize the performance of your tires.

Old 01-05-2009, 10:43 PM
Ryan50hrl
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Bsimmer3000
Ditto but everyone has there "best" no matter if it is or not. Just like some think the Dodge or the Toyota is a better truck than the Ford even though the Ford is proven to be the best. I have always liked Michelin's but have changed from high performance road cars to a truck so I'm sure i will find a tire i like. Very happy with the Pirelli scorpions i have so far, so more than likely will buy them when the time arrives. The tires i used to use on my road cars were lucky to get 12-15k miles as they were a pretty soft compound and cost a lot more money than a harder compound tire which would have lasted a lot longer. But then again you have a lot less grip so pick ya poison.

See...now most people hate those pirelli's....

Old 01-05-2009, 10:45 PM
Ryan50hrl
Post Fiend
Sears does free rotate and balances...and match other places prices

I suppose...to each their own......and i guess it probably has alot to do with the environment you're in, here in snow and ice....some tires just don't do well that probably do just fine in texas...

Old 01-06-2009, 07:34 AM
Bsimmer3000
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Ryan50hrl
See...now most people hate those pirelli's....

Yeah i heard the same thing about the tires but wernt to worried about it really. But when i got the truck out in the wet i was amazed at how well they was working. No understeer or oversteer and would launch from a stop in standing water with zero wheel spin didn't even have any ABS cut in with a purposely heavy foot. Had to keep checking i wernt in 4wd at times lol. Thats when i checked reviews and found they were awesome tires for in the in the dry and wet but not so great for snow. Lucky we don't get to much snow down here. Just got to see how long they last now. As long as i get 2 years out of them i am happy.

Quick Reply: OEM tires